Day 2 Snowy Luau...What a Blast
20 posts
11 users
3k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 22, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
What a day...what a weekend!! Beautiful weather, great snow coverage...fantastic corn snow that softened even more as the day progressed. REAL HERO SNOW THAT HELD AN EDGE TO PERFECTION...I even skied the bump trail, The Drop. You know, bumps are a whole lot easier to ski when the snow is soft vs ice such as on Extrovert at Blue Know!
Even more DCSkiers made it to Timberline and Snowy Luau today. Laurel Hill Crazy was there with his lovely wife and family, comprex was there with his lady, all in all about 12 DCSkiers hit the slopes together. A lot of fun, my best day of skiing this season!!!!
I'll post more pictures and video of the DCSki posse. For those at Snowy Luau for the first time, lots of comments about the job Timberline did over the weekend, especially the torchlight parade and the fireworks, the bonfire, the drumming, all the contests - some real competition and others just plain fun or funny.
Had a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!
JimK got it right: "the best spring ski party he has ever attended in the mid-Atlantic".
More later,
The Colonel
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
The Crazie family had a wonderful time. The coverage was excellent, even late afternoon the snow was very skiable because of the cold generated by the deep base. The Drop provided me with the best fun in bumps this season. As the Colonel said the hero snow made the big swells and deep troughs very easy. The company was fun, it was good to ski with comprex and Batgirl again. JohnL and jimmy were great host and skiing with the Colonel is alway fun. I'll post some pic later.
kwillg6
March 23, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I missed the Sunday gathering as the Mrs was under the weather. I too enjoyed the conditions. The drop was grin grin grin and launching off the ta-tas at the bottom was Schweet!! The bump contest there at 2 pm had a lot of the best tele skiers I've seen in a while. Hated to leave.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 23, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Nice to meet you kwillg6. Gorgeous, fun weekend.

The Colonel was cooking on Sunday folks! He and I paired off for about five runs together in the afternoon and he was unstoppable - bumps, groomers, even the terrain park. He found the fountain of youth and let me jump in too!! Snowy Luau is the bomb. Hope to post more pics/vids/thoughts tonight.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
RodSmith
March 23, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Damn, that sounds like it was awesome fun, with a great cast of characters. Sorry I missed it. Next year, even if I have to ride there on my bike.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 23, 2009
2,964 posts
Rod we have to do a better job coordinating with you. I thought you were going to Roundtop, so I wrote you off.

Short trip report with some of my better pictures on Epicski:

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/82802/timberline-wv-snowy-luau-weekend-3-21-22-2009#post_1082826
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Great story about weekend, wonderful pictures. Only 68, not pushing 70!!! Thanks for documenting the weekend with your camera.
The Colonel
jimmy
March 24, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Heh wasn't sure which of the five Snowy Luau threads to post in but yeah what a great group of great skiers. Meeting Comprex and BatGirl for the first time was an unexpected bonus. Two days (well three for me actually) of great conditions beautiful bluebird skies, roasted pig cold beer.

Hated to leave Sunday afternoon we had so much fun. Say what you want about Timberline but they get The Snowy Luau right.
JohnL
March 24, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I had the most fun this past weekend in eye don't know how long.

Great weather, great conditions, great company, funky dress, good beer (my bad on the last one.) Lunch and apres on the deck was about as good as it gets.

The torchlight parade and fireworks with Polynesian drummer pounding a rhythm next to the bonfire and was that really Timberline? But the skimpy portions of pig for $10 at lunch was.

Thanks to JimK, The Colonel and David for digging their cameras out; unlike lazy skiers like myself.

Vince (junior JimK) has a future (and a present) as a rockin' skier.

I'll have to keep my whits about me in case Jimmy decides to get back at me for our Three Stooges Skier Cross on Sunday... Sorry about that one mate.
fishnski
March 24, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Has there ever been a bad Snowy luau??...been to about 8 or 10 of them...lost count.. & the weather & festivities have always rocked!...Sounds like this Luau was a good get together for the Dcski & family crew & I wish that I could have made it cry.....y'all that were there know the best weather/Manmade Finale Combo Luau...that one will be very hard to beat!!
March 24, 2009
2,038 posts
I posted some photos over on Jim's thread at Epic. (click link in his post) I'll try to get them up here too. Sorry, epic can host photos so I've got to upload to another site then link them here. If I have some time I'll post two movies of Vince's and Eric's air time.They sent the last few runs on Sunday hitting the jumps while I fumbled with a new camera.

This was a return to TL after what my wife said was at least a dozen years. I though a few less but she's right. My daughter was much younger then Eric since last I was there. For the life of me I can't figure out why I stayed away so long. T-line skis like a mini Vermont resort with a true 1000 ft. vertical and real trail skiing. The blues are as steep or steeper then 7S North Face runs and provide interesting character as they don't just drop straight down the fall line. Off the Wall reminds me of Laurel's Lower Wildcat, maybe a little less steep and without the double fall line. The Drop's bumps were graced with better coverage then BK's Extrovert. Ex still beats it for steep and challenge though even if the conditions were the same. Kathy enjoyed the day so much she even speculated about season passes next year. I think not as the drive over Chestnut, Laurel and Keyser Ridges in the winter could be killer unless 33 in WV is four lane all the way from I79.

T-line is another mid-Atlantic gem. I remember skiing Cherry Bowl Glades when they were on the map. It looks like some lower glades have been cleared as well and I would guess there are more then a few unofficial lines to be had also. I was impressed with the depth of the base. I'm sure Timberline will run out of skiers before they run out of snow.

I hope to get in one more day of skiing there. We told my daughter about our adventure and now she's clamoring to go over spring break. I'll make her twist my arm just a little before I give in.
David
March 24, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: Laurel Hill Crazie
unless 33 in WV is four lane all the way from I79.

All but about 25 miles is four lane!!
RodSmith
March 24, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
Rod we have to do a better job coordinating with you. I thought you were going to Roundtop, so I wrote you off.

Short trip report with some of my better pictures on Epicski:

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/82802/timberline-wv-snowy-luau-weekend-3-21-22-2009#post_1082826

I had another commitment on Saturday and felt Tline was a bit too far for a day trip. Rtop proved too far also. I would have PMed and tried to get a ride from you if I had the weekend free. The camping sounded like a good plan. How did that work out?

I tried to find the campgrounds once after a day skiing at CV. It was late, dark, and the signs were all plastered with snow. I couldn't find the campsite, so I went to Tline parking lot and spent the night in my car. Before bedding down, I helped push someone out of the parking space he was stuck in. He gave me his still good lift ticket in exchange and I did some night skiing. The next morning there was a foot of new and I got first tracks on The Drop. smile
SCWVA
March 25, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
As usual, the Snowy Luau was a blast. I'm glad I got to do a few runs with everyone. JohnL, Comprex, kwillg6, & LHC, it's great to finally put a face with a name. And much too the dismay of mgt, I even got to do some runs with Redman.

JimK - Thanks for your generosity, my two youngest were still playing with glow sticks in the am and the cold one was very tasty. Hope my kids can ski like Vince in a few years.

David - Great to see you! Need to stay away from that jimmy guy. He's a bad influence; your fiance isn't going to appreciate him like we do. 

Colonel - Keep on rocking! I hoping, I'm able to eat solid food when I'm your age. wink How many days you get in this year? A bunch, I bet. Keep it!

jimmy, jimmy, jimmy...............what can I say? Call me.

One of my highlights of the weekend was being able to ski with the entire family over the course of the weekend, including my almost 3 yr. old. She did eight (back breaking) runs on the beginner lift over the weekend. I'm most grateful for being able to ski my wife late Sunday afternoon. Even thou as a family, we get quite a few days on the slopes, my Wife and I rarely get to ski together. Next season should be better.

jimmy
March 26, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
I'll have to keep my whits about me in case Jimmy decides to get back at me for our Three Stooges Skier Cross on Sunday... Sorry about that one mate.

Curly, I've been trying to figure that one out? You are lucky i think our ski brakes locked together or you were going down. Learned nothing at Snowbasin? Guess you missed Larry/woody/bruce.

Yours Truly
Moe
crunchy
March 26, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
I'm glad I got to do a few runs with everyone.

hmm I kept getting dissed by those folks myself. every time i saw em at the top of the mountain and wanted to ski with em, they would blow down the hill before the rest of the tele posse i was with was all off the lift! cry
March 26, 2009
2,038 posts
That's what cell phones are for. I can't imagine finding folks even at a small resort without them. Sorry I missed meeting you, crunchy.

SCWVA, I know what you're saying. Little ones break up the skiing family until they all agree to ski the same slope. A huge age range makes it tough. There's seven years between my two so the best we could do together was a warm up run in the morning. My son is getting to be good enough to ski all groomed trails. He even tried The Drop last weekend. My daughter now seeks challenge but she's away at college. This time will go by far too fast. Enjoy their childhood.
David
March 26, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Hey Jim, any of those videos come out decent?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 27, 2009
2,964 posts
I haven't seen this yet, Vince put it together. Sort of a montage of Snowy Luau Weekend 2009. The raw video was jumpy and low res. Might be good for some laughs? Great weekend though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDIkn5nv9FE&feature=channel_page
March 27, 2009
2,038 posts
Nice edit Vince. Thanks for the video. It sure makes me smile. It temps me bash bumps this Sunday.

Save the Whales.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.