Problem with skiing every day
12 posts
9 users
3k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I've been skiing 5-6 days per week and a big problem has reared its ugly head - stinky boots. I'd love to hear about any solutions that work or control this problem. I once put a pair of custom thermofit liners in the washing machine and pretty much ruined them. What about sprays? Baking soda? Activated charcoal? Anything?

Thanks in advance.
skier219
March 15, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Do you have a boot dryer? This AC/DC model the best one I have found so far, and dries boots in a couple hours:

http://cozywinters.com/shop/dg-00301.html

This one is AC only and needs to run overnight (no fan), but is a little more compact:

http://cozywinters.com/shop/th-2250-80.html

They also make this model with UV light to supposedly kill bacteria and odors:

http://cozywinters.com/shop/th-2020.html

To kill an existing odor, you could try spraying the inside of the liners with Febreze and leave them to air out. That stuff works pretty well in my experience. It's in the laundry/detergent/cleaners aisle of the supermarket:

http://www.febreze.com

You could also stuff the boots with dryer softener sheets -- you know, the ones that are supposed to kill static and soften clothes. They put out a pretty strong fragrance. But I'd try Febreze first.

I haven't ever run into odor problems in ski boots. My routine is clean feet and clean socks every morning and running the boot dryer every night. I have the first two models I listed -- I use the first AC/DC model in my car on the way home from day trips, and pack the second AC-only model along in my ski bag when I travel by air.
BushwackerinPA
March 16, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
baby powder

will also get the unwanted moisture out of the boots as well
TGV
March 16, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
I have a quick solution - two steps.
Quickly get out of your boots when done skiing, remove the liner (a pain sometimes).

Second, Let them dry (well ventilated without any other spending if that's the route you wish to take) - and place a Fabric Softener Sheet inside each boot.

The result:
Dry, odor absorbed, and good smells.

NOTE: Do not ski with the sheets & re-use them for several days. Very cost effective and works wonders.
jimmy
March 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I use a dryer, the one above with the UV light; if i don't have a dryer and my boots are wet inside, stuffing them with crumpled up newspaper absorbs most of the moisture. Denis if that's the only problem you have from skiing everyday you are doin something right smile
Jim
March 16, 2009
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Two solutions that work well for someone in their boots for 8 hours (or more) at a time:

1. For stinky boots, pull the liners and spray liberally with Febreze AB (short for Antibacterial). The AB version contains an ingredient that helps the odor absorbing ingredients penetrate deep below the surface to target problem odors and the bacteria that cause them.

2. Use antiperspirant on your feet each and every time you ski (I prefer RightGuard Artic Chill solid for the name alone!). It's an old patroller trick. Make sure its antiperspirant and not just deodorant. The idea is to help limit the amount of sweat generated by your feet to keep moisture down.

Finally, make sure to Febreze your liners at the end of every season (like now!); and pull the liners from the shell to allow both to dry thoroughly. This way, next winter, the boots will be fresh and ready.
Roger Z
March 16, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Dang, chalk this up as a problem I would L-O-V-E to have! At the beginning of last season (07-08), I found out quite the opposite problem. I keep my boots in my cellar... or used to. When I went to put them on for the first time in December (and the first time in about ten months), I discovered to great amusement that a chipmunk and been placing acorns in one of my boots for the winter. Fortunately- and the reason this was just funny and not traumatic- he hadn't eaten the liner of the boot at all.

ANYWAY, the boots are upstairs now but if anyone knows how to keep chipmunks from turning your ski boots into a winter nesting cove... THAT's the kind of problems you have when you don't ski enough!
Ullr
March 16, 2009
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Pull the liners out to dry and spray them with this;

This stuff kills my kids "hockey smell", which is far worse then any "ski smell" out there!!!!!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2009
2,337 posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll be getting a boot dryer at the local REI and I got a spray bottle of Fabreeze.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2009
2,337 posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll be getting a boot dryer at the local REI and I got a spray bottle of Fabreeze.
skier219
March 16, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Cool, maybe we can change your DCski name to "Stinky" wink
RSparer
March 19, 2009
Member since 12/27/2001 🔗
13 posts
Oh- yea. I had the same awful situation after working at Liberty 2 times a week and out to Colorado for 5 days straight. I think it was sweat.They were soaked and sank.I pulled everything out liner, foot beds etc and gave them a big shot of spray Odor Eaters. I let them dry out for a good 48 hours and then I got a boot drier! Worse comes to worse I am getting new liners next year.Cheaper then new boots.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.