Solitude Report 3/7
10 posts
9 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Today I met JohnL for some bluebird day powder skiing at Solitude. We did a couple of laps in Honeycomb Canyon and a little exploring in the trees. Both yielded untracked powder. John is a really fine skier and I appreciated his patience in waiting for me. Solitude indeed has uncut powder several days after a storm. It was a great day.

The Mon./Tues. prospects are looking really good. Below is from the NOAA weather report,
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...111.637&e=1

TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 18 TO 30 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN...WITH 6 TO 12 INCHES EXPECTED ACROSS THE WASATCH MOUNTAIN VALLEYS. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE.
skier219
March 7, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Woo-hoo!
scootertig
March 7, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
We skied Solitude twice last week... Once on Monday, and again on Thursday. Monday was "good" = base temps near 50, soft snow, no crowds. Thursday was GREAT. 12" fresh, and no crowds. I know it's a lesser-rated resort among the Cottonwood Canyons options (behind Alta and Snowbird), but we had an amazing time. Once I can download pictures to my laptop, I'll post a summary TR covering our days at Solitude, Brighton, and Alta, but I'm definitely jealous that you'll be there Monday/Tuesday, and I'll be stuck at my office in Arlington...

aaron
SCWVA
March 7, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Denis and the rest of you in UT. I can only think of two words. YOU SUCK! laugh

Please send pictures.
David
March 8, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
Denis and the rest of you in UT. I can only think of two words. YOU SUCK! laugh

Please send pictures.

Yeah, what he said!!! mad
jimmy
March 9, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Ya Denis skied Solitude w/john Friday 3/6, lots of snow we pushed the edges, did you splore above and below SolBright sounds like john showed you??? stopped at teh yurt to catch my breadth bc i'm too stubborn to drop down..... some steep groomers out there too, Solitude's a sleeper.

Sounds like plenty coming that way this week, Crush at teh Canyons, Crush gives good tour, john does too.

David Scott,

Dad supposedly has a camera, denis if you ski w/johnL again have him take some pitchers smile.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Sorry I missed you Jimmy. No surprise however. I heard from JohnL, who is still here, that you were staying at the Ritz. Didn't think to look for you there. smile
TomH
March 9, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Jimmy - check your PM I sent you a note regarding Utah.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
which brand?
The Colonel smile
skiobsessed
March 10, 2009
Member since 03/10/2008 🔗
80 posts
Hey Denis, you were at Solitude on 3/7 as well? Mad respect to you for taking on Honeycomb Canyons. I know I was a beat man that day, no way on earth was I going to be able to do that and come back in one piece. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

If you saw some bum falling repeatedly on blues, that would be me smile

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.