T-line's weekend lift operating hours different
50 posts
13 users
11k+ views
kwillg6
March 5, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
According to the folks at t-line they will have new hours of weekend operation beginning this weekend. Lifts open at 9 AM not the usual 8 AM hour and will close at 4:30 with no night skiing. This is two weeks earlier than they have done it in the past, but as usual, things are never set and done until it happens. Maybe that's part of the mistique of the place. whistle
David
March 5, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I'll make sure that I let Cahil know the day before, not the morning of... smile

You should have seen him the Friday morning that he rode over with me real early. He skied down to the lift at 8 and they promptly directed him back up the hill. If looks could kill...

Well, I guess after a long night of Battle Star Galactica on Friday he won't be up for early Saturday skiing anyway.... grin
kwillg6
March 6, 2009
2,067 posts
I would have loved to see that, David. Iv'e tried, but I just haven't beem able to get into BG.
Should be warm weather this weekend. The Drop should be primo grin. I just found and ordered a new pair of boards yesterday. Great price too. So next week I'll be trying them out. Long range forcast has it getting cold again and possibility of snow, so One can only hope.
David
March 6, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
I just found and ordered a new pair of boards yesterday. Great price too. So next week I'll be trying them out.

Yeah, I'm sitting here right now waiting for the Fed Ex man to get here with my most recent ski purchase. Doesn't look like I am going to have the best of conditions to try them out though.... frown
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
David
March 6, 2009
2,444 posts
Speak of the devil.... [/Poltergeist] They're hear smile smile
SCWVA
March 6, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Originally Posted By: David
I'll make sure that I let Cahil know the day before, not the morning of... smile

You should have seen him the Friday morning that he rode over with me real early. He skied down to the lift at 8 and they promptly directed him back up the hill. If looks could kill...

.... grin

It was only around -15F when Cahill had to walk back up to the lodge.

No nightskiing on the weekends? I usually like to ski the Friday afternoon/early evening of the Snowy Luau weekend.

Hopefully, they change their mind!
kwillg6
March 6, 2009
2,067 posts
They usually make the change on the weekend they switch to daylight savings time...which is this weekend. I thought the switch was earlier this year than normal but so is DST.
TGV
March 10, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
Wow... here's our new skiing schedule for Timberline.
Let's start with the good news:
Timberline is still open - the skiing is better than average.

Let's go with the bad news now...
Resort CLOSED Mar 23, 24, 25 and 26.
Resort CLOSED Mar 30, Mar 31, Apr 1, 2 and 3.

Couple of water drops are on their way, but T-Line has plenty of base.

The resort is getting its Snowy Luau preparation - starting today Mar 10th.

NIGHT skiing is still taking place Friday and Saturday night - as far as I have been told.
kwillg6
March 10, 2009
2,067 posts
That's indicative of some of the things I've heard rumored around the valley. They have stopped all snowmaking with none planned for the rest of the season. There has been rumors of financial issues. Can't be specific since everything is rumor. Their staffing is bare bones anyway with the owner micro-managing everything from the cafeteria to maintainence. And now to eliminate mid week skiing the last half of the month? Sounds like a money crunch to me.
jimmy
March 10, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
cry frown

Bad precedent, all i can say here.
KeithT
March 10, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Both you and Kwillg6 assured me in a prior thread that March WAS the month to ski at T-line. Sorry to hear the news, I am sure you all are more disappointed than I am. Looks like it is not worth the 2:45 drive each way this weekend.
jimmy
March 10, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
"Looks like it is not worth the 2:45 drive each way this weekend."

Compared to what, not skiing at all? Keith your statement above is why i think Tline is setting a bad precedent by closing mid-week. That and the fact that their webcam is not *working* leaves too much to the imagination. Be nice if Vic or kwill could tell us about the conditions this past weekend but if you check out the trail report you'll find most everything open.

Heh, maybe we should be long range forecasters, sorry our asshurance mis lead you.
kwillg6
March 10, 2009
2,067 posts
This weekend????? It all depends if they get any snow on Thursday and Friday. Actually, it was really good on Sunday. Great spring conditions and nobody on the mountain in the afternoon. Could be really good again this weekend. wink Me and the Mrs are just going to have to get our "ski/sic" days in a little earlier this year, that's all.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 10, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
I'm following the weather reports closely this week. If trail count at T-line remains decent I'll probably be out there 3/14 and 15. Although I know the big pig squealers will be there Luau weekend. grin
David
March 10, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy
tell us about the conditions this past weekend

This past weekend?? Two words: Spring Skiing.

Hey Jimmy, The Drop was even soft, if that tells you anything...
kwillg6
March 10, 2009
2,067 posts
To answer Jimmy. The skiing was primo corn grin. The drop was just grin grin grin. I couldn't get enough of it. The whales have been carved into sweet bumps, and the ta-tas are still very ta-ta-able. whistle What's not to like unless you want some pow-pow and then even Utah can be a big slurpee at times. frown Soooo unless you want to spend your weekend planting potatoes in your back yard, it's worth the drive.
TomH
March 10, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
All very interesting. Skiing was great last weekend and no reason to expect this weekend not to be great as well. T-Line has a very deep base due to some aggressive snowmaking when they had cold weather.

This rumor of financial issues troubles me. In the next few months those of us that are season pass holders will have to shell out the dollars to get the early season pass discount. Makes you a bit nervous when one hears financial issue rumors.

On the other hand, T-Line did not blow snow like a place that is having problems. In fact, they blew snow on The Wall early last week before the warm weather hit. Blowing snow in March and closing the mountain during the week in March are definitely conflicting signals.

But what the hell, it will be a long warm summer so highly recommend skiing as long as they are open.
KeithT
March 10, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy

Compared to what, not skiing at all?

No, I did not mean gardening, I just meant something closer. I was at Liberty on Friday night. They had blown a ton of snow with 60 degree temps and no granular just wet snow. Loved it and the 50 minute drive. Nice slow runs, easy skiing and soft bumps in the warm night air. I am sure they got killed this week with the temps, but if it is 1/2 as good this weekend as last Friday, that is the other option to be weighed. On the other hand, going to T-line, at least the drive up and down 42 at Scheer won't be "white knuckle." Also, it looks like it is going to be cold in the valley this weekend.
SCWVA
March 10, 2009
1,052 posts
Originally Posted By: TGV

The resort is getting its Snowy Luau preparation - starting today Mar 10th.

NIGHT skiing is still taking place Friday and Saturday night - as far as I have been told.

Closed on Monday, March 23 2009. Are you sure? Not good, the family was planning on Monday.

Will they be open for skiing day & night on Friday March 20, 2009?
TGV
March 11, 2009
337 posts
Rumors; maybe so, but here are a few facts.
I have been working there for several years, and T-Line has always stopped making snow about 4 weeks prior to closing date.

When other resorts are closed, we still (somehow) have a little bit of skiing left - and a whole lot of fun.

It isn't uncommon for T-Line to close mid-week. It's happened several times before during the last couple of weeks of the season.

Basically, I will agree that the resort doesn't need any more micro-managing, but that's just the way its been operating for a long time. It may be true that we don't have a huge crew. It could be a question of money too... but the truth:
I was skiing today, and honestly: some of the best skiing all year - snow conditions near perfect, crowd? NONE.

We probably had 11 paying customers at one point: the resort felt that it was opened "just for me" and for the 8 runs I made before lunch. I really had a total blast and will continue to make the best of what the season has left for us.

What can you do?
Wish me luck... and while you are at it, now may be the perfect time to come on up and join the fun. Remember: the snow was really fantastic!
TGV
March 11, 2009
337 posts
BTW...
You have heard about the several sites we have in Canaan and surroundings. For the latest snow report, pictures on www.visitcanaan.com will represent exactly what the conditions are like. It's also the ONLY site that is updated every single day, 365.25 days a year in the area; it's built for you, for all of us to enjoy.
Other "kinda of cool" news: I can report first hand that there are places at the resort with more than 16 feet of snow on slopes. It could rain for 3 days straight and I would still ski following the storm.
Will it be as good as Montana's powder? No, not at all - but a really bad ski day sure beats the best day I have ever had on a couch (well, almost) SMILE
kwillg6
March 11, 2009
2,067 posts
Got it right, Vic. The conditions and skiing at t-line are probably as good as anywhere considering the recent warm weather. It's never ceased to amaze me how people just stop skiing in March when the conditions and weather are the best. I just think that they should consider keeping one lift running on those remaining two Mondays to bookend the weekends since most rentals in the valley require a three night stay.
An aggressive marketing campaign needs to be developed for the valley area with BOTH ski areas working for the common good. The new website is filling a nitch but there is so much more which could be done. Better event planning is needed for year round events. How about a Market analysis to determine what would bring people in to spend their $$. It's no wonder that so many businesses operate on a shoe string in the valley. Besides, with Fish and Wildlife gobbling up land, it has a limiting effect on profitable recreational activities such as golf, mountain biking, etc... Not everyone wants to hike, count birds and hunt. I have considered what type of business would work in the valley, and to be honest, the opportunities are limited.
tgd
March 11, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Well, there could be a silver lining in the weekday shut down. IF we do get a big mid-week snowstorm before April, there won't be anyone working the snowcats grooming out all the powder. And hiking isn't that much slower than Tline's lifts. laugh

BTW: I do agree with Vic. While the snow may not have looked pretty, conditions last weekend were very good. All of the runs I skied had plenty of coverage, and they were soft but not slushy. That was with 65 degree temps! Last I checked all of their snowmaking runs were open.

Tom
Adam
March 11, 2009
Member since 01/28/2009 🔗
10 posts
This rumor of financial issues troubles me.

I wouldn't worry about any sort of financial troubles. Per third party analysis T-Line is in much better shape than it sounds or looks.
Tucker
March 11, 2009
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
TGD, you took the words right out of my mouth...I hope for a big dump and I'll be breaking out my splitboard.

On a seperate note. Having worked at T-line full time(during the winter) for five years or so, and knowing that there is not a sole skiing their besides staff during the last few midweeks of the season, I can understand the move...IF IT WAS ANNOUNCED BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED... But to announce it a couple weeks before the season ends...well that is a dumb-[censored] move. It just shows how poorly run the place is and how clueless the owners are. Lets just hope it is the end of the current regime.

Kwillgoski has great suggestions about marketing and so forth. March is the BEST conditions of the entire season. Timberline should be working on marketing and bringing people to the valley for the wonderful condtions and weather. They should be investing in infrastructuer instead of building a "hotel".

The problem is the micromanaging from the owners. If they just stepped out of the picture and let the great folks working their who know the industry and marketing actually do their job, then that place would kill it. Sorry to be so blunt, but the owner are just clueless and they do more damage to the resort and the local economy then good.

I guess now there is no argument for opening trails slowly so a lot of base can be blown for late season. What good is alot of base in March if your not open? It is just dissapointing to see the current owners ruin that place, despite it's potential and it knowledgeable staff in ski school and other departments.

Still, despite what the owners of T-line do to destroy the place...make no mistake, March skiing at Timberline is the best month of the season...soft bumps and corn...lifts or no lifts make the trip!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
"Lets just hope it is the end of the current regime."
OK, being a local maybe you know something the rest of us don't! What makes you think another owner is on the horizon?
If so, hopefully one with deep pockets and a desire to make TL first class, somehow while keeping some of the charm of the place. I don't want much...a real lodge, a fast reliable chair, a few bumps, lots of grooming while leaving some powder when available for those that like to powder out.
So, what's the lowdown?
The Colonel smile
David
March 11, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel
OK, being a local maybe you know something the rest of us don't! What makes you think another owner is on the horizon?

Tucker is speaking of an age issue...
Tucker
March 11, 2009
893 posts
No, I am not talking about that, while Fred might not try to load 4 people onto the triple lift(Doc's mighty quad)...he doesn't know anything about the ski industry and I doubt he would run the place much different. Those folks need to sell that place to someone who knows the ski industry, knows how to run a business and won't micromanage the place to death. It would be the best thing for the mountain and the local economy.

I have no inside scoop as a local. All I know is what I have said is what everyone I know who lives here says. The terrain is great for skiing but it is run like a junk show.
TGV
March 12, 2009
337 posts
There are couple of things in the works at TL.
There is a remote possibility that summer passes will become available - starting this summer. That would be super nice for the biking scene.

There was the remote possibility that more advertising was going to take place, and now has become a reality:
The hotel has a new flyer - completed in record time.
The hotel has 20+ posters promoting the 4 seasons in each room.
(they sort of look like this: www.akaflash.com/coverage/2009-posters/photos

I know, it's not much - but from where I am standing, it's a whole lot better than "nothing".

I'd rather smile, because there are days when i want to pull my hair out, and others when everything is actually okay at TL. So, the moral of the story is: if you are having a bad day, just sit it out for couple of days you a much better day will come your way.

May I suggest to email Tline with requests?
If nothing more, you'll feel better - and who knows? It may actually help.
kwillg6
March 12, 2009
2,067 posts
This has been discussed over and over in the past and nobody who can make a difference has listened. IF a business sets a calendar and schedule it should be adhered to if at all possible. Nothing irks me more than to go to a store, bank, dealership, etc... during advertised hours of operation only to find a closed sign or "out to lunch" sign hanging on the door. That indicates to me that I need to conduct my business at their convenience, not mine, which causes me to think twice before doing business there. It's the same with t-line. IF they are going to change their hours of operation (which they always do in March), it needs to be specified in their seasonal calendar as to when it will happen. The same can be said for their late season, mid week closure. SPELL IT OUT SO YOUR CUSTOMERS CAN PLAN. Announcing the change less than two weeks ahead of time is not only bad business, but will cause some folks to go elsewhere in the future.
As for the "hotel" I don't know where to start. Poor planning comes to mind first. Instead of spending what little money thay have on a glorified budget inn, it would have been wiser to enlarge/renovate the base lodge, pave the mud bog to the side of the decks, clean up the trash around the base area, and improve internal services for customers. By doing this, folks might even spend more money there. I like rustic, but I like clean rustic, not the variety I see around the lodge area. I need to get off my soapbox before I say some things I may regret in the future... frown I hope Doc, Rosemarie, and Tom are listening.
Tucker
March 12, 2009
893 posts
Making a flyer and posting on the wall at Timberline is not advertising. It is a waist of paper and when all the walls at timberline(and I guess the hotel now)are plastered with three layers of flyers/posters advertising food in the bar, teen dance parties, Willie Nelson weekend (everyweekend) no one reads anything. It's almost as laughable as spray painting plywood and hanging it up all over 32, which was the strategy for many years and still goes on. It makes the place look trashy and no one reads that stuff. In my opinion it is worse than nothing because it is waisting time and paper and looks trashy. Besides what good does advertising to people who are already there do!

If they were serious about advertising they would hire someone like you to build a strong website that actually showed people the conditions and let people know about the events, and how fun and beautiful the place is. I don't know who does it now but the guy who did it before just did it for a season pass. IMO that is not really taking things seriously.

There are tons of simple things they could do. Maybe they would allow the people organizing the on snow events access to the website to promote the on snow events. Maybe they would get a webcam that worked. Maybe the snowreport would be updated daily. I don't know. I am sure there are lots of smart people there that could pull of some great marketing, but the place is so micromanaged by the owners that ....ah it a waist of time even talking about it...I don't know why I expected anything more now or when I worked there...I waisted my time there making suggestions and righting proposals...I mean what do you expect when they groom the entire mountain on every powder day? All we can hope is that the current owners move on...
TomH
March 12, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Adam, its nice to hear that rumors of T-Lines demise are premature, but you must admit that to the patron that isn't in the know that there are signs of a business just keeping its head above water all over the place.

Even if this isn't true, don't think that rational consumers contemplating investing in a home for example might decide the risk isn't worth it when it appears from the outside that the resort is experiencing financial difficulties.

The mountain and the people that work there are great so I hope all really is well there.
kwillg6
March 12, 2009
2,067 posts
Well stated, Tom. And observation is a powerful means of gathering information. My observations indicate issues with maintainence which is essential to keep things running right in any business. Cost cutting by either management or owner micro-managemnt is evident in the day to day operations of the place. The first indication of problems is when you drive up to the place and it's impossible to avoid the craters in the road. Next would be the mud bogs that customers must negotiate to get to the falling down decks. Trash is everywhere, usaually piled up on the decks instead of being walked to the compactor. That' s probably because the employees would have to walk through the 6" of mud to get to it. Have you ever been in the rental shop? Poke your head in there sometime. The floors, inside the entire lodge, need vacumed or mopped daily. The restrooms should be checked frequently, yada, yada, yada.... However, this may mean that they might have to hire and pay someone a decent wage to get it done right and it wouldn't cost much and would go a long way to eliminate concerns that the place is on shakey financial grounds. As Tucker alluded, they need to look at the big picture. The business appears anything but viable due to poor management practices.
Adam
March 12, 2009
Member since 01/28/2009 🔗
10 posts
I don't know about the appearance of financial difficulties. I've been skiing up there for years and have never really noticed or paid attention to potholes, or dust in the rafters or falling down decks, etc. I just go there to ski. Even working there this year I still don't notice these things until pointed out, and even then I don't get to concerned about it.

I'm sure the resort makes more, if not most, of its annual revenues from the sale of real estate. Skiing/ mtn biking is just something to attract the homeowners.
Tucker
March 12, 2009
893 posts

Adam, no offense, but surely you are joking, because that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.
TGV
March 16, 2009
337 posts
He is not joking.
I have seen Adam, and he takes his skiing seriously.
That is funny stuff though.

The first noticeable "mark" might have been when my F250 starts getting on 3 wheels (honey, we're there...).

The second, probably when I arrive at the decks: "expert acrobats only, beyond this point..."

But Adam realllly lets nothing get between him and his skiing - which at least doesn't make him all stressed out like the rest of us. Perhaps a technique I would profit from learning, because again, when it's all said and done, Sat had good skiing, and although it rained a little on Sun, the snow conditions was really excellent.
(the 4 Photos of the day of Sunday will still show fun) - while we are shaking our heads.
There are even days when I personally pick up trash there... it's gross, and could easily be fixed.

Changes are on the horizon though...
I just saw the cook clean the bathroom - I wish I was joking, but the bathrooms were actually "clean".
kwillg6
March 16, 2009
2,067 posts
Yeah, changes.... As I walked to the teaching area on Saturday AM I couldn't believe what I saw.... shocked The area around the compactor was cleaned up. shocked There were no mountains of garbage bags piled up on the decks. grin Empty trash cans replaced the usual overflowing ones. confused The floors appeared to be vacumed and mopped. The normally filthy decks were swept and litter free. shocked I was waiting for Rod Sterling to welcome me to the twilight zone. smile
March 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Wait until next weekend...that's when the new high speed quad starts operating.....uhh....did I really say next weekend, really meant next decade or two. I wonder if the TLine owners have checked out the new lift loading devices HV bought...if they help, then maybe they could speed up the existing lifts.
The Colonel smile
SCWVA
March 17, 2009
1,052 posts
Spoke to a homeowner who is extremely pissed that they are closing during the week. He has a four night rental starting next Monday and the only day their guests will be able to ski is the day they depart. He's worried his quests will cancel their reservations or he'll have to reduce his rates to "Off Season" rates. If they cancel, it will cost him about $2k in rental fees.

After some arm twisting, the same homeowner waived the 3 day minimum for us.

Wonder how many Homeowners have complained to management about closing midweek?
crunchy
March 17, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts

gotta hand it to tline. they got it goin on still. skied there sunday and they still had ALOT of base and twister was still open... thats pretty darn good for a snowless march with above average temps and rain on a slope that has alot of western exposure.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 18, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Considering a few options.
In view of kwillg6's original post is it correct that for Sat 3/21 there will be no night skiing at Timberline? Who/how do you participate in the torchlight parade at 830pm?
Is there night skiing at Canaan on 3/21?
Thanks.
kwillg6
March 18, 2009
2,067 posts
According to what I was told earlier, but last saturday the lifts were running after 5.... Best to call ahead.
1-800-snowing. Tourchlight? Call thge ski school desk and ask. I know that there is a list hanging on a board there. i don't do it any more. Nothing like wedging down an ungroomed WL in the dark. frown
crunchy
March 18, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK

Is there night skiing at Canaan on 3/21?
Thanks.

i dont think there is even day skiing there anymore this year.
March 18, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Canaan website says they are open for skiing this coming weekend.
The Colonel smile
TGV
March 18, 2009
337 posts
Jim: You can sign up for the torch lights at Timberline's Ski School. Talk to Bobby Snyder, and I am sure that he will not only fill you in with details, but will be glad to have you join us. (the sign-up list is located right next to the time-card-clock)

Weather:
Looks VERY promissing for this weekend!!!

Decoration:
Finally got some photos for you on the home page: www.visitcanaan.com and check them out for yourself.

Today (Mar 18):
Proved to be one of the best days skiing of the season - seriously. We did photos, videos, jumps, tele, snowboarding, instructors, and lots of laughs & smiles.

Everything is on the home page (about 8 or 9 photos) until I find a minute to place it all in a folder on Event Coverage.

Enjoy the photos... put air in your tires... and hope to see you this weekend.
TGV
March 18, 2009
337 posts
Sorry... guys... gals...
I love Canaan Ski area as well, however, if skiing is what you are planning on doing, I hate to put it so bluntly, but they barely have any snow.

Indeed, this warm weather is hurting a lot of people - fortunately (and really NOT to brag) Timberline still has excellent coverage on many of its slopes. You won't be limited to one single slope!

Hope this helps a little in prepping your trips. Let me know if you want to see photos -
SCWVA
March 18, 2009
1,052 posts
How is the The Drop and OTW holding up?
TGV
March 21, 2009
337 posts
There are couple of bare spots on the FAR skier's right of The Drop (too easy to avoid) - but the bumps are holding very well.
There will be a bump contest on Mar 21 SUNDAY at 2:00pm, but hey: watch OUT: They might just groom the slope on Sat late night.
Come on out there and sheer them on.

OTW is holding very well. Watch out for the transition from OTW to Saly though... near the slow sign, a gap does exit where a river runs through it (I mean under it).

Overall (and I kid you not) the skiing is really superb.
David
March 22, 2009
2,444 posts
Overall (and I kid you not) the skiing is really superb.

That's an understatement!! Awesome weekend!!! I'd recommend that everyone get out there tomorrow and enjoy it.....oh yeah!!! mad mad
TGV
March 23, 2009
337 posts
It was fantastic.
I am only sorry that photo coverage kept me busier than ever and didn't have a chance to meet you guys out near the lift today. I blew it - but at least made it to all the events with photos.
We should have the majority posted on the Visit Canaan in the morning, and the rest by mid afternoon after an appointment.

Can we meet again next weekend?
Who's coming on Fri, Sat & Sunday?
Any one interested in hiking the mountain an afternoon on Thur?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.