Snowy Luau, March 20-21. Who's going to be there??
42 posts
16 users
12k+ views
David
February 24, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I know that a lot of people are talking about going to the Snowy Luau this year at Timberline. I just thought I would start a thread so we could get an idea of who all is going to be there, plan some times to meet up, and have some fun!!

From the Timberline website:

Snowy Luau Festival
Mar 20, 2009 - Mar 21, 2009

Snowy Luau Festival is a long standing Timberline tradition which has grown each year to the current reputation as the biggest festival in the region. This family oriented weekend features authentic Hawaiian music, Polynesian dancers, pig roast on the deck and a huge bon fire. There will be prizes for the best and most unique costumes and downhill races. Saturday night there will be fireworks display on the summit of Herz Mountain and a torch light parade flowing like lava from the top of the mountain to the base lodge. Then still more Hawaiian music and followed by even later rhythm and blues music until 2 am. There is no cover charge for any of the performances.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I plan on being there.
The Colonel smile
GRK
February 25, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Plan on being there one of those 2 days. Probably bring Junior Ski Partner.
kwillg6
February 25, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
You know I'll be there with the Mrs. grin I may play hookie from ski school that weekend depending on the weather and how many lessons they have. I know that they are always look for extras for the tourch light if anybody is interested.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
jimmy
February 25, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Mrs jimmy and jimmy will be there.
JohnL
February 25, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I'll be there, wishing I was still in Utah.
tgd
February 25, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I will be there too - with my daughter at least!

Tom
David
March 12, 2009
2,444 posts
Got this picture in an email today. It was kind of sad to see...

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 13, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I'm still hoping to be there, at least for Sunday.
TGV
March 14, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
I am looking to be there with the camera...BUT...
I need a partner for figure 8 on tele.
Need time to practice...
Who wants in?

Wouldn't it be cool to have 5 to 6 telemarkers on figure 8?
Any taker?
fishnski
March 14, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Going by the latest GFS model..the luau looks decent, weather wise..a little early to f-cast but there looks to be colder air coming in thur..With a little Snow?...& staying thru saturday which could see some snow action..with a warm up sun & hopefully any rain holding off till the skiers have left the mtn!...Stay tuned...or maybe yet..just ignore any weather F-cast & head up because its always a Snowy Luau!!

Judging by the last few runs of the long range f-cast it looks like March will go out like the Roaring plains (Lion)

PS...Long Live Visitcanaan.com...Good work TGV!
Tucker
March 14, 2009
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Yeah, As a local business owner I thank you for putting that quality websight together, and I look forward to seeing the sight grow. It really shows the beauty of the valley and lets people know what's going on with the outdoor activities in this area. The pictures are great! Thanks
TGV
March 16, 2009
337 posts
Tucker, et all...
Thanks for the compliments. Visit Canaan gets over 150k hits every month, from all over the place. Our biggest month ever: Jan 2009, with over 249k hits !

The bar has been raised, so I better get on the ball here.
We'll show more of the area beauty in Spring, Summer and Fall (more photos, more colors, etc...)

Best of all, we have all the info for trails... it's been compiled as we speak to produce a Trail Guide Book specific to hiking and biking. That should come out in the spring for Canaan Valley and Surroundings - with a LOT of photos. You'll use as is intended, but also may find it kinda-cool to simply read in front of a fireplace.

Posters have been released, postcards will soon arrive for sale in the valley: it's an effort to promote the area, because it is beautiful.

We are not there yet... skiing is what it's all about for another couple of weeks. After that, we will do everything we can to show "what else it is that we do here for the other 8.5 months of the year".

So, the Luau:
The colors are being blasted on all the windows - leaving room to still view the slopes. She's working double duty, and hopefully will wrap it up by Wed.

I'll have some photos tomorrow to show the progress of the resort decoration, but Snowy Luau should be a lot of fun. We hope to see you there at every event.
jimmy
March 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
OK so do we want to set time/place to meet? How about at the bottom of the silver queen lift near the ski school corral at 10:00 and 11:30.
David
March 16, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy
OK so do we want to set time/place to meet? How about at the bottom of the silver queen lift near the ski school corral at 10:00 and 11:30.

Sounds good to me.

So far we've got:

Me
The Colonel
GRK
Kwill and Mrs.
Jimmy & Mrs Jimmy
JohnL
tgd
Laurel Hill Crazie

Craig (Are you going to make this weekend??)

Hey Fish, it's only an 8 hour drive!?!?
skier219
March 16, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Originally Posted By: David

Craig (Are you going to make this weekend??)

Depends on how soon my Utah ski-hangover wears off...
David
March 16, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: skier219
Depends on how soon my Utah ski-hangover wears off...

Just rub it in!! It must have been deep!!
skier219
March 16, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
It was good, but I am really worn out.
BushwackerinPA
March 16, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
should I come or should I stay here? this is the question I ponder this weekend.

this is closing weekend at my home resort, but whats this I hear about a bump contest?
March 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Come on Craig, we need you there.
The Colonel smile
TGV
March 17, 2009
337 posts
Sorry - I didn't mean to ski ALL day.
Monday: we are talking about great snow, and the rain holding off until 4:35pm! How cool is that?

Anyway, I didn't get the photo of the lodge decoration (in progress) as I was skiing (for a change).

Check out www.visitcanaan.com and see what it the mountain looked like after 15 minutes of rain (on the home page).

Anyway... back to earth, I will get you these photos - Late Tuesday night for sure. - sorry -
kwillg6
March 17, 2009
2,066 posts
Speaking of bumps, the DROP is primo. Best it's been in years. Even the ta-tas are beginning to bump down. Now watch those suckers groom em flat! mad
jimmy
March 17, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Bush i don't no about the bump contest but the drop is pretty cool this time of year. I'd have a hard time missing closing weekend at your home resort too but hey cmon down spend their closing weekend at my home resort.

Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA
should I come or should I stay here? this is the question I ponder this weekend.

this is closing weekend at my home resort, but whats this I hear about a bump contest?
kwillg6
March 17, 2009
2,066 posts
I'm too old to do a contest, but they do it on the drop on Sunday afternoon. A lot of fun to watch. Some of the younger guys on the mountain can really rip em and catch mega air.
David
March 17, 2009
2,444 posts
Hey Vic, how about you meet up with us at the bottom of the Queen at either 10 or 11:30 and make a few runs with us. I'm sure us DCSkier's would like to see our faces on VisitCanaan. Heck, might even sell a pic or 2. I know I'd like to have a good picture of myself....
TGV
March 17, 2009
337 posts
There is a 10:30 Triathlon - photo coverage in progress.
I'll gladly meed with you guys at 10am on Sat, but 9:30 would even be better!

You better use bright colors; I no longer shoot men in dressed in black LOL
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
My teenaged son and I are thinking about skiing T-line on Saturday during Luau festivities, but we're also considering SS and Wisp. We can't spend the night.

His only complaints about Timberline are the slow lifts and long lines when we've visited mid-season. Will TL be a madhouse Saturday, or is there a chance we'd get in some good skiing at TL without long lift lines on Saturday, March 21?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Woody
SCWVA
March 18, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'll be there with the family. I may also ski part of the day on Friday.

B19 - They should be running all three lifts. In the past, the lift lines weren't bad at all.
TGV
March 19, 2009
337 posts
There will probably be long lines regardless of how many lifts we open - Yes, that was the bad news.

If you are planning on having an average day of nothing but skiing, then you may consider alternate destinations.

If you are planning on skiing a little, enjoy the scenery, camadery and great GREAT fun, then I would highly recommend Timberline this weekend.

You'd still be able to ski, and have a blast at the same time.

The torch lights and fireworks are a "must see" that you really won't want to miss either.

I love skiing - so yes, it was hard for me to say this... but this weekend is about some skiing, many events and competitions, costumes, good times, and even a 1930-1980 costume / retro race on retro gear. If nothing more, you'll want to see that.

I will be telemarking with my good old fashion 1939 clothing.
You should get some good laughs in!
SCWVA
March 19, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Originally Posted By: TGV
There will probably be long lines regardless of how many lifts we open - Yes, that was the bad news.

I've been the last four years and there was never a line at the Silver Queen lift.
kwillg6
March 19, 2009
2,066 posts
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
Originally Posted By: TGV

I've been the last four years and there was never a line at the Silver Queen lift.

Lines this time of year rarely exist. The queen will have no lines and the orange triple may have a 3-5 minute wait on occasion. Last weekend there were no lines to speak of. Everybody is busy planting potatoes instead of thinking skiing. frown
David
March 19, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
Everybody is busy planting potatoes instead of thinking skiing. frown

Yeah, but you'll be thankful come Thanksgiving when you have a big ole pile of smashed taters on your plate!! grin
David
March 19, 2009
2,444 posts
Hey Jimmy, when you heading that way?
jimmy
March 19, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I love spring skiing, i love teh big ole piles of soft snow, i love teh sound of my fat skies cutting thru the slurpay, i love teh pig roasting on an open fire, sam adams nipping at your nose. Why don't more people like too spring ski? Blue sky, warm day, trenchtown slush bumps lava drips and ooozin' down the way, wearin me lei and green beads left over from Paddy Day. HEY hey i'm on my way leavin today.

Wish you were here?
skier219
March 19, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy
i love teh pig roasting on an open fire

(Ears perk up, nose sniffing)

Do they roast a pig at the luau?
fishnski
March 19, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
After all these years you still crack me up... & that edit is funnier than "Censored" laugh
David
March 19, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: skier219
Do they roast a pig at the luau?

Sure do!
March 20, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Last chance to get your name on the list.Jimmy has suggested DCSkiers meet at 10:00 and 11:30 Saturday morning at the base area near the bottom of the Silver Queen lift by the Ski School corral. I'll try to post a sign. I also suggest a meet-up around 2:30 at same place. Even if you do not have time to make a few runs with your fellow DCSkiers, stop by the meeting place and put faces to posters.
Good sliding to all,
The Colonel smile
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 20, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Believe me and son will be there both days. Where the heck are my Hawaiian shirts when I really need them??
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
My maybe is now a definite yes. My wife, son and I will be there for Saturday evening fireworks and torch light ski and we'll all be skiing Sunday.
tgd
March 21, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Sorry all but I must bail. My daughter and I have battled the flu all week. I'm better - she's not. Still running a fever after 4 days. First Luau I'll miss in 6 years. Hoping for that end of season snow storm. Have fun. Tom
March 21, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Great Day at Timberline's Snowy Luau...great corn snow, very few if any rocks/bare spots...lots of base, should easily last two more weekends. About seven DCSkiers met this morning and skied together...Jimmy, Kim, SCWVa, The Colonel, David, JimK and son - (who by the way will carry a torch in tonight's torchlight parade down the mountain!) and I can not remember the others....great weather, started off cold, then snow softened and temps in mid 40s. We plan on meeting again tomorrow morning...1000 & 1130 near base of Silver Queen lift by ski school corral. If anybody decides to come up tonight, great deal at Canaan Valley Lodge in the State Park...approx $47/night/room includes taxes and "resort fee". Do call ahead to reserve and confirm rooms are available...800-622-4121. Will try to post a few pictures later. You should see JimK's Hawaiian shorts, he had "done DCSki proud"!! Look for us if you come up...we are all wearing leas...of course, so is everybody else. Timberline looks a lot better than 7Springs appears from their web cam. All open trails at TLine are covered with wonderful, skiable snow from edge to edge! Remember, they are only open on weekends...for the next two weekends.
Have a great day...
The Colonel smile

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.