Sadly, it is about over.
5 posts
5 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 29, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
SNOWSHOE has decided to close after this coming weekend, rather than try to stay open until Easter. I suspect the culprit is a lack of customers as well as the rainy weather, albeit a little bit colder, maybe snow on Thursday.
Anyway, this is your last shot for local skiing.
SNOWSHOE has big doings planned for this weeekend, combining what was already planned with what was planned for Easter weekend.
Check it out on their website.
MitchH
March 29, 2004
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
I skied at Timberline this past weekend. It was great, especially Sunday with comfortable sunny weather, great spring conditions, lots of coverage on all slopes, and no crowds whatsoever. All the main slopes still had plenty of snow and they will have no trouble keeping them open through next weekend, even with the rain in the forecast. Kind of surprising that with their perfect conditions and discount lift tickets, there were hardly any skiers! I never could understand why mid-Atlantic skiers don't take advantage of the beautiful warm weather to ski in March at the local resorts. Soft spring snow is much more fun than January ice! Our ski season could be longer if the people came to the resorts.

Well its not over if you want to travel far. I am heading for Western Canada/Selkirks this weekend and I hear they are having the best conditions of the season right now.
ski_guy_59
March 29, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
I was at Canaan a week ago. The fresh snowfall on Sunday made conditions awesome on Monday. Tuesday was epic-fast snow and clear blue skies. The temps got to about 40 late afternoon. I couldn't have asked for a better ending to the season!
jimboc
March 30, 2004
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
all you people who complained about lack of snowmaking and open terrain back in November and December - get out there and support the ski areas! They are closing from lack of skiers, not snow! And YES, they have more than just the beginner stuff open!!
snowbird
March 30, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
app called it quits on sunday. i was out there sat and sunday and the base was still huge for ths time of the year. they could easily stay open for 2 or 3 more weeks. the snow quality wasant top notch but it still snow and its fun to play on. i dont konw how hard core some of you all are but its super fun to ride your nice 700 dollar set up in the dirt grass mud and rocks. and my 700 dollar set up is the 03 04 bejorn lines 158 top 10 board this season with some forum ate. i also have some 32 team 2's which are 250 but i hate them and dont wear them. i just wear my busted and rusted flow boots. they still work just fine for me. but if you have never been hard core boarding you should try it. find a hill with alot of dirt on the side of a run get as much speed as you can go and jump on it as high as you can. its sooo much fun espically if you land it. if yall need to see what im talking about http://www.skinorthcarolina.com/messageboard/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=610&s=39d739c35a930754db576b8d3c3ca516
go to this site and click on all my pics. some of them are bad and some of them are good. but you will c what i mean

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.