February 7, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Trail report?
SeaRide
February 8, 2009
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
I was there from 9:am til about 2:30pm. All trails open. Snow was made the night before and it end up somewhat packed but more soft like mash potatoes. Air temp got up to about 61 deg. Yes it was crowded .. I mean packed with people sitting outside in the front area drinking/eating .. since the back area are packed full too. There was lines at the expert terrain lift. That's how crowded it was. I stayed away from the EZ rider lift that stops frequently. The Whitetail express lift was okay but long lines which is expected. Lots of special interests groups of people that came there. Roves of buses came and went.

I went alone and had fun myself.
SteveC
February 9, 2009
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
145 posts
We went with my brother-in-law's family and my father-in-law. We were skiing by 9 and stayed until 6. SeaRide is right, the place was packed. I found the heavy mashed potato snow very tiring but it made it so I was able to make it down Exhibition with some grace.

Conditions improved around 3:30 as the snow firmed-up.

I was surprised how much brown was showing on Limelight. Made me wonder how long they will be able to stay open.
KeithT
February 9, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Yeah, this was the first time I think I've ever really waited in a line at the expert quad. Sure at times a couple of parties in front, but this was a true line. Even so, I was there from 9:30-12:00 on Sat. and it moved fast enough.

I also agree on the Limelight issue. Up top it was looking thin--all across the top of the slope at the last charilift pole on the HSQ.
camp
February 10, 2009
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
Was there both days,
Sunday was much less crowded, no lines on Exp lift, and a short one on the HSQ.

Totally agree on the soft slowness, 'twas the best I've ever tele'd Exhibition. Wouldn't call it grace exactly, but I certainly had a few moments of strung together turns of encouragement.

Also agree with the concern of thin and brown. Seemed last week, that they've already cut back on the snowmaking bill for the season, choosing not to blow on a couple of cold dry nights. Now they're going to need to freshen it up to hide the brown for Pres. Day.
RodSmith
February 10, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
camp, who are you? I was there Sunday. If you are one of the gang of three that sort of gapped my group, I hope you know that if my friends hadn't been waiting for me, you would have got smoked harder than Michael Phelps' bong. If you are Roger, you are skiing nice! In either case, it was fun skiing with you!

I was the gaper with a gray jacket tied around his waist (because I had my lift ticket on it).
camp
February 10, 2009
660 posts
Originally Posted By: RodSmith
camp, who are you?
I am larry. I don't think I met you or skied with you. I was skiing with a group of 3 other tele skiers on the Exp. lift in the AM. Around 1:00, I left them to go ski with my family in the terrain park. They stayed in the soft bumps. They all had Atomics and helmets (funny how all the tele skiers at WT wear helmets), and I have K2s. When I was with them, the 4 of us rode every chair together, so we didn't really meet anyone.

Maybe we'll hook up again....
I'm kind of surprised, as I'm kind of a chatty lift person, that I haven't met a single person on this forum, and I've probably skied WT about 20-30 times this season. Then again, I haven't actually asked anyone outright if they're on this forum, I just didn't recognize any names/usernames.
RodSmith
February 10, 2009
318 posts
You were hanging out at a picnic table on the base lodge deck while I booted up at the next table. You didn't get on the lifts until 11. I loaded 3 chairs behind you. I skied past you on Angel Drop then waited to watch you ski Drop In. I then skied Falmouth back to the van because I left my sunglasses there. Later, I chased your three amigos for a couple of laps on Exhibition. I skied with you although you might not have noticed.
David
February 10, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
You were hanging out at a picnic table on the base lodge deck while I booted up at the next table. You didn't get on the lifts until 11. I loaded 3 chairs behind you. I skied past you on Angel Drop then waited to watch you ski Drop In. I then skied Falmouth back to the van because I left my sunglasses there. Later, I chased your three amigos for a couple of laps on Exhibition. I skied with you although you might not have noticed.

Wow man, are you some kind of stalker or something?? You've got me worried cuz I am sleeping under the same roof as you next weekend!! eek eek grin
camp
February 10, 2009
660 posts
... then waited to watch you ski Drop In.
I remember that. I think I muttered something as I went past, I was the first in our quartet down Drop-In. You're a pretty d@mn good tele skier as I recall. Let's chat and ski for real next time...
RodSmith
February 10, 2009
318 posts
Hahaha yeah, sort of I guess. I notice other Telemarkers. I think the only other freeheelers there Sunday were the three guys I had met before and camp's crew who I didn't meet. Oh, and TomH! There weren't that many of us. One would have to try not to notice the other nordpiners.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.