Skiers Forecast
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
langleyskier
February 5, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Hey so I sent this to Scott and he said he will not be able to post it as an article until the weekend so just to post it in the forum for now. Sorry for being awall the last feew weeks with forecasts but a lack of computer (at the library now) and an overloaded schedule is keeping me away from the internet/surfing almost altogether. I think I have found a time on wed to write the forecasts so hopefully I can resume the weekly forecast schedule. Even though i wrote this yesterday, I am going to stick with the forecast, looks about right through the period.. sat AM should be great skiing.

Forecast:

Wed. Feb 4th through Wed. Feb. 11th:

Hey all, sorry for the complete lack of forecasts and weather updates for the last month but unfortunately my computer decided to quit on me, meaning that I have had very limited computer access for quite some time. Truthfully, I am hesitant to post another forecast seeing that while I have not been posting the weather has decided to grace us with one of the best seasons in years; hopefully I don't jinx this streak!

Short Term (through Thursday eve):

Currently (3pm Wednesday), upslope snow is occurring at most of the upper level locations (7 springs, Canaan Valley, Shoe, Wisp, all central PA areas). Light to moderate snow will continue through this evening and dissipate from lower to higher elevations and taper off around 11 pm. Snow accumulations for the day will be light, ranging from up to an inch in lower altitudes (State College) up to 3 to 6 inches in the highest elevations (Valley, 7 Springs, Wisp, Shoe). Tonight will be well below average in most all locations with temperatures diving into the low to mid teens in and around DC and just above zero at the higher resorts. Tomorrow (thurs) will be a chilly one with temps only rising a few degrees to around 20 in and around DC and reaching the low to mid teens in the highest elevations. One would hope that resorts take full advantage of the ideal snowmaking conditions before temps rise a bit this weekend and force the guns to be shut off. Thursday night will again be chilly with clear skies and temps in the low to mid teens around DC and the single digits in higher elevations.

Long Term (Friday through next Wednesday):

Friday will be the day of the pattern shift (told you this forecast might be a jinx!). Temps will quickly rise to around 40 in and around the District and freezing in the mountains with partly to mostly cloudy skies. Friday night, temps will drop into the 20's in the mountains and mid 20's around DC. Saturday will be a beautiful day for skiing with highs in the low to mid 40's in the mountains to the low 50's around DC. Snow should be a nice hard pack inn the morning that softens as the day goes on to a nice spring like corn (much like last Sunday). Unfortunately, clouds will build later in the day as a weak system approaches the area and a chance of showers has to be inserted into the forecast for Saturday evening through Sunday at most resorts (nothing heavy).
Sadly, Monday through Wednesday will join along with the warming trend with possibly more rain in the forecast on Monday night through Tuesday night. Temps all three days should feature highs around 50 to 60 in the DC area with lows around 40 and 40's in the mnts with lows around freezing. Thankfully, most areas have built up a substantial base and should be able to weather this warmup will little to no pain, only causality will likely be the backcountry and Whitegrass.
David
February 5, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
No Rain! No Rain!

Thanks for the report!! Glad your back!
fishnski
February 6, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Hopefully this next mild wave will be cutoff with a front rolling in next thur morn & then Skiers & snow & cold Lovers will have a nice Valentines Weekend!
ridgeman
February 6, 2009
Member since 09/5/2008 🔗
46 posts
Tonight is the night to ski the peak of the PA winter to date snow at Seven Springs - if you can get there! Looks like PA is in for several days above freezing during the day but cold at night (at least above 2600'). Spring skiing after tonight for a week. All of the Seven Spring terrain is skiable as of today, but we will loss all but the groomed trail by next weekend based on the current forecast. Time for another Vermont road trip!
fishnski
February 8, 2009
3,530 posts
Dave Lesher reports at 3715' Canaan Hts.."Windy & becoming cloudy overnight with rain beginning before daybreak..snow is melting rapidly & water is running everywhere"..40 was the low this morn with 51 the high yesterday....

Got to report the good with the bad but the weather still seems on track for the cooldown on thur & interesting weather seems to be in the long range....hopefully L-Ski will fill in the details later on this week for next weekends Skiers F-cast which could have some moisture involved..stay tuned!
David
February 8, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Puxatony Phil is a LIAR!!! mad mad mad I've got a few good varmit rifles. Anyone wanna go groundhog huntin'??
fishnski
February 8, 2009
3,530 posts
WOW!..73 today at the beach..I was up in winter wunderland Canaan a few days ago!..

I hate to break it to ya David & Believers but this Punxy phil thing is not real shocked frown cool...The Rodent actually did not see its shadow because it was Cloudy that morn!.. The handlers consulted with Joe Bastardi of Accuweather & over ruled the critter.....last two weeks in Feb & all of March,(6 weeks) winter will be Rocking in the Alpps!

Maybe they should rename Phil..JB..?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.