local resort for Boarder w/non rider/skier spouse
12 posts
9 users
3k+ views
Otto
February 4, 2009
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
I have a friend whose spouse does not ride or ski and does not feel like learning either. I was asked to suggest someplace local where the boarder can board and the spouse (female) can do the spa thing or otherwise be occupied. I could only suggest Seven Springs. Anybody got any other ideas?

Thanks
Clay
February 4, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Depending on where they are located, I understand Wintergreen has a nice spa (but I have never used it myself)
Ullr
February 4, 2009
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
How long are they going for? Anything more than a day at Wintergreen and they may get bored. Are they keeping it to the mid-atlantic? If so, Snowshoe may be the best bet.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 4, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
The other suggestions are good, but if this is an attempt to truly impress the nonskier The Homestead will be hard to top. Old trip report: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=794&mode=headlines
KeithT
February 4, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
The ski/spa options close to DC metro are 7S, Wisp, SS, Wintergreen, Massanutten and The Homestead. If the spa is the most important factor--JimK is right the Homestead has a great spa, but the skiing..... Wintergeen has a nice spa and pool facility. Wisp's spa is just so so. I have skied but never seen the Nuts or SS's spas. Seems to me your first inclination was right with 7S--particularly if the boarder visits T-parks.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
And the tubing and horse drawn sleigh rides are also an incentive for a non-slider to visit 7Springs. Plus, all the in-lodge activities: mini golf, bowling, roller skating, pool, spa, pubs, shops, etc. There is no other mid-Atlantic resort with the non-skier amenities that 7Springs has.
Snowshoe has:
spa, pool, snowshoeing, Starbucks, BigTop with games, climbing wall, pool table, etc.,+snowmobile and groomer rides, and meals at multiple, some great restaurants and a distant cabin. Snowshoe in middle of nowhere.

7Springs also near large towns with libraries and other amenities, and not far from Frank Lloyd Wright house "Falling Water".

Wintergreen has spa, shops, pool, tubing, and not too far from Charlottesville, UVA, and Mr. Jefferson's home.
Massanutten has spa and an indoor super water park. By the way, at Wintergreen if the area at the bottom of the mountain is free of snow, you can play a great golf course during the winter.

Canaan Valley has spas, and CV Lodge has pool, pool tables, and covered outdoor ice skating, Blackwater Falls, tubing, air boarding, shops in Davis and Thomas...lots of near tame deer, but...nothing at CV is really slopeside.

Homestead is a near-5 star resort with indoor pool, incredible spa, mountain golf, fantastic food, about 750 vert. ski slope, tubing, ice skating, horse drawn sleigh rides, movie theater in hotel, horse rides, trap shooting trap lessons, soaking hot springs, serves "high tea" in afternoon, amazing hotel "Greenbriar-style" old south. Need to dress up for dinner.
Enjoy,
The Colonel smile

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel

Massanutten has spa and an indoor super water park. By the way, at Wintergreen if the area at the bottom of the mountain is free of snow, you can play a great golf course during the winter.

Mnut also has a golf course in the valley open year-round. Not that challenging, but cheap during the winter. Also have a simulator for rainy days. They are converting the old golf pro shop into a nice spa. The old one is small. My non-skier friend likes to use the fitness centers (pool, excercise equipment, hot tub, sauna) when we are skiing. You have to be staying at the resort for access. The waterpark is public and fun, but pricey.

If she likes to shop, Harrisonburg has all the standard stores within 20-30 min of Mnut.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Charlottesville not that far from Massanutten.
The Colonel smile
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 5, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Is Charlottesville closer to Wgreen or Mnut timewise? Since I don't stay overnight at Wgreen, I haven't thought about it before. We stop in Lynchburg coming back to NC on day trips.
Clay
February 5, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I thought it was going to be a toss up so I checked online. For what it's worth, Google maps has CV to WG @ 47 minutes and CV to Mnut @ 56 minutes.
kwillg6
February 5, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
That's probably correct. Clay.
bawalker
February 6, 2009
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
That's correct on the time because to leave CV and head to the nut, you have to take 29 N which is 4 lane 55mph flat roadway. Then turn left on 33W and take it across Skyline drive and the road goes from 4 down to 2 and 3 lane at best until you crest the top and go down the other side. That does slow you down, but 10 min isn't that much of a killer.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?