Mount Porte Crayon Stinks!
18 posts
13 users
8k+ views
JohnL
February 4, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Didn't have the best of times there, so hear me out on this one.

Lifts are horrible. Slower than those at Timberline. Even Whitegrass has faster lifts.

Snowmaking is non-existent. What are those guys thinking? They only get 200 inches of snow a year.

Base area ammenities, including lack of running water, lighting and a roof over your head, leaves a lot to be desired.

There are no whales on the slopes, and the terrain park has yet to open.

Too many Stillers fans on the slopes. Where do these guys come from? They're worse than Red Sox Nation.

Cold Trail Ale is not offered on tap!!!!!!!!!!!!! Revoke their licker license!

This stupid statue at the top of the mountain seems to gather most of the snow drifts, leaving the rest of the slopes with little snow. A snow fence it is not.

On the plus side,

Lift lines are not too bad.

Lift prices are affordable, even for a family of four.

Don't shoot the messenger ....
Clay
February 4, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
Lifts are horrible. Slower than those at Timberline.

Hard to believe there are slower lifts in the valley than Timberline, but I have to agree. An upgrade is way overdue.

There are no whales on the slopes, and the terrain park has yet to open.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm not a big whale fan, so this is actually a plus for me.

This stupid statue at the top of the mountain seems to gather most of the snow drifts, leaving the rest of the slopes with little snow. A snow fence it is not.

It's funny how the statue seems knee deep. You would think they could figure out a way to spread it around.
Tucker
February 4, 2009
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Good report, I had similar experience...except I found the lifts at Mount Porte Crayon to atually be much faster than the lifts at Timberline...and the chairs at Porte Crayon aren't orange plastic that freeze solid...just joking...well maybe, actually not really...

Save the whales, kill the frozen, plastic, slow orange chairs!
(that's probably to long for a bumper sticker?)
Clay
February 4, 2009
555 posts
How about "Save the Whales - KfpsoC"?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
KeithT
February 4, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
My biggest beef with MPC is no free equipment check. This is always frustrating to me as it tends to lead to tons of equipment scattered all over the place. I am sure equipment steals are rampant up there with all the traffic.

But wait there is no lodge so do I really need to check my skis. Hmmmmmm?
GGNagy
February 4, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Steelers Nation is everywhere. MPC is ok, but it could sure use a Primantis in the base lodge. It's certainly no Boyce Park.
Jimski
February 4, 2009
Member since 03/5/2008 🔗
44 posts
OK, to reveal (once again) my non-veteran status: what's a "whale" (in the context of skiing)? Thanks.
KeithT
February 4, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
See the most recent first hand report on Timberline in the articles section of this site as a picture says 1000 words.
Jimski
February 4, 2009
Member since 03/5/2008 🔗
44 posts
Keith, Now I know what whales are! And good article too.

Thanks,
Jim

[Sending this a second time. Hope this time it gets posted]
kwillg6
February 4, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
What's the beef with MPC, JohnL? I think it's just a gem although the policy of BYO for their pub stinks. mad Other than that there's glades, and vert. True, the lifts leave a lot to be imagined as does the grooming....sort of like t-line 12 years ago. whistle But hey, the luxery lodge at 613 Bonner Mtn Road seems booked all the time. wink
Clay
February 4, 2009
555 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
But hey, the luxery lodge at 613 Bonner Mtn Road seems booked all the time. wink

True that. You have to book a year ahead of time if you want in that place. That guy must be making a killing! whistle
David
February 4, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
But hey, the luxery lodge at 613 Bonner Mtn Road seems booked all the time. wink

Ahhh....home sweet home!!
kwillg6
February 4, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
All you powder pigs pi$$ me off. U r just like every rusty I've known. Don't drop a rope until the pow-pow is used up.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Pardon my ignorance, but I think the statue at the top of MPC looks a lot like our Andy...wait, it is too hard to tell from a distance...so much snow up there...
The Colonel smile
fishnski
February 4, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
MPC Stinks to High "Almost Heaven"!!!

So who's making a Kwilling at the Bonner rd Cabin?

Just got back from The land of Canaan & only got a Look at the Frosty top a couple of times during the last 5 days...well it was dark by the time I got there Sat but Twas quite the snowy Scene!!...& unfortunatly Colonel the Statue up there is Full of Buckshot eek
BushwackerinPA
February 4, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
so did you ski it, and if you did where the hell are the pictures?

I want to ski this so if anyone wants to show me arounf that would be great I doubt Ill slow you down much.
Roger Z
February 4, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
"Didn't have the best of times there, so hear me out on this one.

Lifts are horrible. Slower than those at Timberline. Even Whitegrass has faster lifts.

Snowmaking is non-existent. What are those guys thinking? They only get 200 inches of snow a year.

Base area ammenities, including lack of running water, lighting and a roof over your head, leaves a lot to be desired... etc etc etc"

U No Wat JohnL, mad this is THE exact type of RANT I expect to hear from oVerPrIviLeged yuppies LIKE you. Always want to BE pampered, EVERY resort has tO be a Deer Valley, where's the chairlift footwarmers, BLAH BLah blaH.

You KNOW, some of us LIKE MPC with its low-kEy atmosphere. Some of us DIG THE rustic amenities the resORt offers. Just because YOU think THEY need A roof IN their BASE lodge DOESN't mean THEY should- HoW else are PeoPLe going TO learn how to ski if everyone keeps hitchin' up detachable lifts and uber-sophisiticated snowmaking fleets?

I, for one, LOVE the slow lifts. It keeps the riff-raff away. Yeah, sure, going with the Flintstones approach to lift operation might seem a bit primitive, but if they had a faster lift- one with power, for example- then they'd need snowmaking and suddenly it'd be people yak-yak-yakking on their cellphones and griping about dinner service in the base village.

So you know what, you can keep your Snowshoes of the world. I'm stickin' to keepin' it real. I'm down with MPC, baby!

ps- there's great lodging just east and north of the summit statue, "Roger Z's Cozy Tents" you can rent one for an affordable $147 a night (each additional person $40 extra, plus tax, doesn't include breakfast), includes lift tickets and free rentals. The rentals can usually be found lying around in the woods, if the snow hasn't covered them up and if there was a windstorm recently to shake them off the trees. Also there's a guy at the base that will rent mules if you get tired of the slow lifts, but mules are ornery things, it might just sit there in the pasture for hours.

wink
KenHess
February 6, 2009
Member since 01/27/2009 🔗
9 posts
Seems like a fair report to me

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.