Slope Comparison Question
26 posts
17 users
6k+ views
Jimski
January 30, 2009
Member since 03/5/2008 🔗
44 posts
How do the single black diamond slopes at Wintergreen compare (difficulty, fun, etc.) to those at Whitetail? Thanks.
RSparer
January 30, 2009
Member since 12/27/2001 🔗
13 posts
Slope ratings are compared to the mountain itself and not to others.Last year we skied at Whitefish/Big Big Mountain Montana for a week.We went to Fernie in BC for a day. We were delayed at the boarder so when we got there a friend and I jump on the lift and went. It was dumping! We made it down, but i was shaking. I went into the lodge and told the group whatever type of skier that they thought the were to go down a level. So we wait for the afternoon tour. I went with the intermediate group. When we were going up the mountain they kept pointing is that a black run, and they were told by the guides no that's a blue.They finally got what I meant.
Jimski
January 30, 2009
Member since 03/5/2008 🔗
44 posts
Originally Posted By: RSparer
Slope ratings are compared to the mountain itself and not to others.

I know. That's why I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's skied blacks at both places. I've skied Drop In and Far Side at Whitetail without falling, so I was wondering if I'm ready for the single black diamond slopes off the Highland lift at Wintergreen (where I'll be skiing weekend after next.

Thanks.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 30, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,344 posts
Originally Posted By: Jimski
Originally Posted By: RSparer
Slope ratings are compared to the mountain itself and not to others.

I know. That's why I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's skied blacks at both places. I've skied Drop In and Far Side at Whitetail without falling, so I was wondering if I'm ready for the single black diamond slopes off the Highland lift at Wintergreen (where I'll be skiing weekend after next.

Thanks.

Those slopes are comparable in my opinion. If you can ski one you can ski the others. The only slope in the mid Atlantic that is in a league of its own is Extrovert at Blue Knob. (Also IMHO).
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Ullr
January 30, 2009
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I think Whitetail is slightly more challenging, but this is only my opinion.
RodSmith
January 30, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
I haven't been to Wintergreen in many years,m but I think Drop In is similar to Big Acorn and Far Side is similar to the Highlands area terrain. Remember, conditions are a bigger factor than gradient in degree of difficulty. An icy single diamond at Wintergreen will be more difficult to ski than a double diamond with excellent snow at any resort.
Roger Z
January 30, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Quote:
The only slope in the mid Atlantic that is in a league of its own is Extrovert at Blue Knob. (Also IMHO).

I'd add Lower Shays as well. And I think Devil's Drop and the trees next to it are great technical terrain, though short.
skier219
January 30, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
You won't need to worry about falling at Wintergreen on a weekend -- the crowds will prop you up. And that also increases the slope difficulty. It's like moving moguls with metal edges....
Clay
January 31, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
"Skiing on a weekend - it's like moving moguls with metal edges"

That's just dying to be in somebody's signature. grin
Jimski
February 2, 2009
Member since 03/5/2008 🔗
44 posts
Thanks to all. I will give the blacks at Wintergreen a try.

Originally Posted By: skier219
You won't need to worry about falling at Wintergreen on a weekend -- the crowds will prop you up. And that also increases the slope difficulty. It's like moving moguls with metal edges....

Yeh, I'm bracing myself for the crowds. Part of the reason I'm pushing myself to ski on the blacks is that the more difficult the slope the less crowded it tends to be. And it's not just crowds per se -- it's lots of people who are not really in control of themselves on skis or snowboards.

When I was at Whitetail during MLK weekend with my 14-yr-old son we skied Far Side and there were not too many others on the slope; those who were seemed in control of themselves. But when I was at Whitetail on Jan. 26 with my 8-yr-old daughter, and stayed on blues with her, there were a lot of out-of-control people on those slopes. On that day, I had a perfect no-fall record going until shortly after 4:00 PM, when a "wedging" skier -- not in control of where he was heading -- ran into me.

In fact, I was amazed at how many skiers were "wedging" down the blue slopes that day at Whitetail. I don't mean they were using a wedge now and then to slow down, but literally doing it all the way down. If that's all you know how to do, why get on a blue slope? I guess one answer was that the line for the lift to Sidewinder that day was way long, and the line for the lift up to the blues was shorter and moving quickly.

Anyway, for Prez weekend I'm hoping (a) the blues at Wintergreen aren't too crowded, so I can ski with my daughter without getting plowed into, and (b) that I can put my daughter into a class one morning so my son and I can try the Highland lift single-blacks.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2009
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
928 posts

In fact, I was amazed at how many skiers were "wedging" down the blue slopes that day at Whitetail. I don't mean they were using a wedge now and then to slow down, but literally doing it all the way down. If that's all you know how to do, why get on a blue slope? I guess one answer was that the line for the lift to Sidewinder that day was way long, and the line for the lift up to the blues was shorter and moving quickly.

simple explanation - natural selection - and the slope is not difficult enough. A slope is green if the majority of skiers are wedging. If the people wedging are wishing they were not there, then it's blue. If I can't ski it in control, it's black.

It largely depends on conditions.

hope that helps :-)
skier219
February 2, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts

Anyway, for Prez weekend I'm hoping (a) the blues at Wintergreen aren't too crowded, so I can ski with my daughter without getting plowed into, and (b) that I can put my daughter into a class one morning so my son and I can try the Highland lift single-blacks.

Holiday weekends are among the worst time to ski at most mid-A resorts if you want to avoid crowds. Keep that in mind. It will be worse than a typical weekend, which is already too crowded for my tastes.

I imagine there are a few resorts that would be a better choice on a holiday weekend, and maybe folks can chime in. I would not put Wintergreen or Snowshoe on that list!
February 2, 2009
928 posts
Prez wkend - I have to concur. Maybe Canaan Valley? Whitegrass definately will not have a lift line. Heck, call the Homestead and get their snow report and consider that. I'd rather ski a small hill no lines than a big hill with 1/2 hour lines and packed slopes.

I have had success with this strategy: Avoid Saturday. Drive up on Sunday afternoon. Night ski on Sunday night. Cheap motel. Day ski on Monday. Eat lunch when the crowd is at max. Get in a few more runs late, then go home.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,272 posts

The Highlands double-blacks are only harder if they are bumped up. For instance, my 8yo can handle Upper Cliffhanger with no problem when it's groomed flat. It's wide and not really steeper for very long.

Definitely worth getting good enough to have confidence to deal with any SE black run. I wouldn't take my daughter to different ski areas until she was comfortable on Diamond Jim at Mnut. It was useful that the top of Rebel Yell is as steep as many black runs so she could practice without having being stuck all the way down a black run. That's where the instructors make sure the Slope Slider blue classes know how to side slip.

I've heard that going around on Tyro instead of Eagle Swoop off the Big Acorn lift tends to be less crowded. Hoping to see for myself on Sun. It's hasn't been open the couple times we've gone to Wgreen.

I always plan to ski as soon as the lifts open and stop for an early lunch before 11:30. We ski a little more when most other people are eating. Then take a break in the early afternoon when the lines are longest. By then Marz Jr usually wants to play in the snow more than she wants to ski. When the beginners are heading home, we take some more runs until it's time to go.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Originally Posted By: pagamony
Prez wkend - Heck, call the Homestead and get their snow report and consider that. I'd rather ski a small hill no lines than a big hill with 1/2 hour lines and packed slopes.

Gotta tell you, I was at Snowshoe on MLK/Inaugration weekend and conditions were great and the lines were not that bad except on Ballhooter.
As for going to the Homestead...remember, it is also Valentines Day Weekend and there are not many better places where you can ski and score a lote of points with the MS. Did it last year! What a place, what great food...pricey, yes, but worth it.
The Colonel smile
Clay
February 3, 2009
555 posts
That's a good point Colonel, as much as each resort is predictable, I think that the crowds are unpredictable given the economy,Valentines Day etc. it's going to be crap shoot. I haven't seen Timberline really crowded this year including Prez Day.

Clay

Now that's an idea - "Honey, pack your nightie, we're going skiing on the 14th!
February 3, 2009
928 posts
Originally Posted By: Clay
... I haven't seen Timberline really crowded this year including Prez Day.

Clay is skiing in the future. Tell me, what were the conditions like ? grin
Clay
February 3, 2009
555 posts
Conditions have been great. There were lift lines, but with two lifts running (plus beginners lift) the wait was never over 5-10 minutes for a group and just a minute or two for a single.
Jimski
February 3, 2009
Member since 03/5/2008 🔗
44 posts
Thanks. Many good points. Actually, WTG was the choice of my non-skiing wife -- she likes the set-up there (e.g. the condos, the restaurant, the swimming pool). We were there last year on Prez Day weekend. It was crowded (on the greens) and foggy, and I lost my daughter on the slopes for about 15 minutes.

I'll have to check out Homestead; this sounds like a good option for a future time. Timberline and Snowshoe are also on my list. My son has been lobbying for Snowshoe, as he's heard it's got the most vert of the mid-A resorts.

Also, I hear what you're all saying about not skiing on a holiday weekend, but with young kids in school my options are limited. I do like the idea of getting up early and having lunch at 11:30 to beat the rush. Might even get to sit down while eating.
kwillg6
February 3, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
last weekend @ t-line there was never more than a 2-3 minute wait at the queen. If you insisted on riding the orange lift, the wait got to almost 10 minutes after lunch. There are times I appreciate the 12 minute ride to the top to give my legs a break, especially after skiing bumps, whales, and trees. smile
guyforget
February 3, 2009
Member since 01/20/2009 🔗
24 posts
Dont be too misled by the "most vert in the Mid-A" argument for Snowshoe. Its only that high for 2 runs, both are great, but both are for experts only - all black, and one double diamond section.

If you want the most vertical on beginner and intermediate runs, Timberline is the place.
KeithT
February 3, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
This is a great point about the vert at the Shoe, its all on the backside and all black. The front side of SS and Silver Creek likely don't break 600 feet on most of those runs. But remember, for novices trail count may be a better stat to look at compared to vert. In that case SS/SC would win over TL. Both of these are good choices.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
For the last three weeks, I've been skiing the Poconos in my travels to Philly lately. Elk, Montage (now Snö) and Blue Mountain are all over 1000. Actually, Blue Mountain tops Blue Knob by a few feet.

I'm almost done on a report on Blue Mountain (1100 vertical), which despite the crowds, had an impressive snow cover. It doesn't have the challenge of Blue Knob's Extrovert, but it handles quite well.
crunchy
February 3, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: pagamony
Prez wkend - I have to concur. Maybe Canaan Valley? Whitegrass definately will not have a lift line.

true that! it will be crowded tho.. but only the parking lot and lodge.. once you get on the mountain tho you would never know its a big weekend! smile

oh, if anyone decides to consider heading there for prez day, (and there is snow) and wants to break their Whitegrass cherry, I would be more than happy to show em around! smile
David
February 3, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: crunchy
[quote=pagamony]

oh, if anyone decides to consider heading there for prez day, (and there is snow) and wants to break their Whitegrass cherry, I would be more than happy to show em around! smile

You take midweek appointments??
crunchy
February 3, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
hehe, you need to dial extension 4 for appt related questions. weekdays by appt only haha. sure man.. message me whenever. not sure about this midweek, but would be a darn fine week for it for sure!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.