One Pic TR - Hidden Valley
10 posts
5 users
1k+ views
BushwackerinPA
January 19, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
The past weekend at Hidden Valley was the best conditions I have ever seen there.

lots of snow. felt like alittle over a foot in most place that werent tracked. Went out at Halftime during the stiller's game and just stayed out because the skiing was so good.

Clay
January 19, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
You know, some times you only need one pic. That looks fantastic!
SkiBoarder
January 20, 2009
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
There were excellent conditions this weekend. I ran into a little hard-pack only on Road runner and on T-bird between the moguls. I was thinking of hitting the slopes during the game but could not stop watching the Stillers beat the ravens. One question - Did you get that floating feeling in the powder that I did? It was cool both on the skis and board.
gizmosnow
January 20, 2009
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
And we received another inch or two of powder last night and into this morning. The most 'powder' snow I've seen on my deck (at HV) in years. (I'm sure 7S has equally benefited from mother nature.)

Had great crowds at HV this MLK weekend --- enough to make the resort 'vibrant', not so many that you had to worry about long lines and over-crowded slopes.

For those outside of W.PA, Hidden Valley and KDKA TV have been promoting a weeklong Family Snowblast starting this coming Friday. Events are on the HV website if you wish to check it out.
BushwackerinPA
January 20, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Its cool there are mogul on thunderbird now. we never get moguls and everyone sucks at skiing because of that.

and yes considering I had the biggest skis ever skied at Hidden Valley ever I was for sure floating. The thugs got alot of stares over the weekend. a 192 cm skis that is 140-121-131 will do that a place most people ski much to short and skinny skis at.

both of these were taken on thunderbird at about 9pm sunday night. Its so hard to get good action shots at night with out a remote flash.

the woods are skiing really nice and even the new slopes that dont have lift to them yet are totally hikeable and are very cold powder snow all you have to do is traverse and hike to get to them.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 20, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Yes it was a good weekend at HV. I arrived Friday night with carry out from China Moon and damn near froze to death unloading the car. Saturday AM my thermometer read -10. I waited until 11:00 AM to go skiing and did a few runs before the power failure which no only affected my house but all of the Resort on the Valley side. The power failure only lasted a 1/2 hour. I then had to meet my neighbor and 2 - 9 year old, young lady guests. We took them to the 2:00 PM snow tubing session at which time it had warmed up to 7 degrees. We were hardy souls and lasted the entire 2 hour session. It started snowing at about 2:30 PM on Saturday and did not stop until we left on Monday at 6:00 PM. The conditions were about as close to 'out west' conditions as you can get in the Mid-Atlantic. Looks like this weather pattern may hold for the rest of the month with continued bursts of Lake Effect Champagne Powder. Road Runner was open for the first time with man made snow, with a powder surface. This trail adds some needed challenge to the mix. The Outback trail was also open with some nice snow. The Charger trail was fenced off. You are now able to get a nice view of the new slopes including the extension of the aforementioned trails to the top of the North Summit.

My only complaint...the web site said they would be 100% open by Saturday and they are still not 100 % open. They should be careful about making claims that they can't meet. Never the less, they have done a great job with the snow making and the North Summit Skier Services building is almost complete...finally!

What a great Holiday weekend smile smile crazy sleep
Clay
January 20, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA
we never get moguls and everyone sucks at skiing because of that.

Amen to that - same here in CV. I totally embarrassed myself this weekend because of a lack of bumps proficency. I won't go into details but one lurker on the board knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about blush

I have got to find a place where I can learn how to ski bumps.
SkiBoarder
January 20, 2009
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
Snowsmith - We stopped at China Moon also, - you were right good dumplings - disappointed in the Szechuan beef. Will try something else spicy next time.

The power going out was a pain in the .... on Saturday. Definitely screwed up skiing with my little one. At least we were waiting in line when it happened.

Need a better way to get to Outback, Voyager is a pain.
BushwackerinPA
January 20, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
well next year there will be new lift further east from outback.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 20, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Ski Boarder - I tried the Hunan Beef/Shrimp combo...very good.Sorry I did not see you on the slopes Monday. I'll be up there again on the weekend of 1/30. Hope to see you then.

Yes, Voyager is a pain. The lift ride is a also bit long too. But the Outback trail is a very nice trail and will get better when we can start at the top of the mountain. I though about hiking to the top and skiing down, but I wasn't sure if they removed the stumps.

Bushwack - I think, but I am not sure, that they may delay installing the lift over on the Outback side of the mountain. Last year the trail map said something like "proposed new slopes, 2009/2010" . Now it just says "proposed future slopes" and no dates. Given the current economy and the amount of money that they have invested, they may want to slow down a bit.
Nice to have you back from Utah. It must be a bit of a shock to go from 2,000+ feet of vertical to 470 feet. I am glad that you have been able to resist becoming a Rocky Mountain Powder snob. We east coasters do the best we can with the little mountains that the great skier in the sky has given us.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?