Killington this weekend!
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Abe
January 14, 2009
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
Well... it looks like I'm gonna make a trip up to Killington this weekend, woohoo! Going to try to ski Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Does anybody have any good insider information to pass along? It's been a few years since I've been up there.

I'm wondering how bad the crowds will be up there with the holiday weekend and all. Perhaps the forecasted high of 3 degrees will keep the crowds down on Saturday. I've heard Pico is a good place to go when it's busy (kinda like Silvercreek is to Snowshoe I guess). Are there other lifts to check out at Killington to get away from the crowds?

Thanks!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 14, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Bring a facemask. The extreme cold could reduce trail congestion on holiday weekend. Haven't been there in about 8 yrs so take the following with grain of salt. South Ridge area usually has less crowds. Canyon Quad (double blacks) might be good too. If you like long easy cruisers you could make the long trip down to Skyeship Gondi base, it's usually quiet there after about 1030am and then you get long ride back up in heated gondola. I like to park and base myself there too. On real busy days stay away from the K1 gondi until late, 3pm? Never been to Pico, but yeah that might be a place to spend an afternoon if you find Killington too crazy one day.
Old trip report: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=551&mode=headlines
Abe
January 14, 2009
366 posts
Yeah... will definitely be taking a facemask... maybe even two wink

Thanks for the tips about the lifts. I've also parked at the Skyeship lift which works really nice to avoid the congestion of the main lodge area.

Excellent trip report by the way!
ridgeman
January 15, 2009
Member since 09/5/2008 🔗
46 posts
The Big K! Last runs there were Feb 2007. Now there are new owners that have limited the number of buses per day - a good thing. Every time I have been there it's been very windy and cold on the lifts. Another issue is the large number of trail merges and intersections at the K. You have to always be on the lookout for the knucklehead that is not on the lookout at intersections! Superstar and all the double blacks are good fun and also a good workout! Also Pico is next door and the same owner so in the past your K tick worked at both. If it's too crowded at the K ski Pico during the peak times. There is a shuttle that runs beteeen the two slopes.
jimmy
January 15, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Ya SooperStahr, great slope good lift not so crowded to ride too, right near K1 base lodge. Coldest place ive ever skied.
Abe
January 15, 2009
366 posts
hmm.. yeah... now looking at a high of 0 degrees for Saturday. I'm thinking the Gondolas will be packed.

And yes, the superstar lift, I had some of best runs of my life making fresh tracks down ovation on 2+ feet of powder! I'm hoping the snow they're calling for up there on Sunday turns out to be more than they're expecting...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.