Praise for Silver Creek
18 posts
11 users
3k+ views
tgd
January 13, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I skied Silver Creek this weekend for the first time. It was a great time. For a small area, Silver Creek has some fun runs and best of all - no lift lines or crowds on the slopes! I especially enjoyed the rollers on Fox Chase and Bear Claw. Flying Eagle is a nice black - though they were blowing so hard on Sunday I only made one run down it. It's a great mountain to practice carving and technique without fear of being run over. Conditions (when it was not raining) were very good. I thought the slopes were in great shape Sunday even after the refreeze.

Silver Creek lacks the long blacks and gnarly terrain on Snowshoe's Western territory, but the joy of the uncrowded made for a great day of skiing. Add to the pluses - a relatively huge and modern lodge (well, compared to Tline) and plenty of lift capacity.

I count Silver Creek as a great find - thanks to the insight I've gained from Snowshoe's DCSki'ers in the know. Thanks.

Tom
kwillg6
January 13, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
tom, it's a secret and a gem if you like good crusing. I especially enjoy a day there with fresh pow pow. You can get freshies most of the day. How'd the kids do at the races?
fishnski
January 13, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
& its cheaper to stay at..& its set in the middle of a scenic Alpine Wilderness..& its not to far from TL & the folks that use Canaan as home base!...(if you use the 28 route...right Kwill?)
GRK
January 13, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
What do you guys think...would this be a good place for a long weekend last weekend of January? I am trying to take Junior Ski Partner to Utah or Stowe that weekend...but well, might not be able to swing it so might be looking closer to home. Opinions appreciated as always. I was thinking Snowshoe would be too crowded but I keep hearing about Silver Creek.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: GRK
What do you guys think...would this be a good place for a long weekend last weekend of January? I am trying to take Junior Ski Partner to Utah or Stowe that weekend...but well, might not be able to swing it so might be looking closer to home. Opinions appreciated as always. I was thinking Snowshoe would be too crowded but I keep hearing about Silver Creek.

GRK,

Marz Jr and I had a good time at Silver Creek last March. Note that's open for night skiing too. The lodging over there includes everything you need. But can always hop the shuttle bus to the main Village. Definitely better to stay up on the mountain instead of at the hotel in the valley.

Between Utah and Stowe, it's no contest. SLC for me every time.
tgd
January 13, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
It's not a big mountain, but there's a lot to be said for the lack of lift lines and crowds on the slopes. I thought the facilities were very nice too - but remember I am comparing them to Tline - they probably have better lodges on the Gaza Strip than at Tline.

When you say junior ski partner - I'm assuming your kid, right? The slopes were fun - though not terribly challenging - there are two blacks and 3-4 blues. It's a great place for carving. They have a lot of rollers that add to the fun. I'm not into terrain parks, but the one at Silver Creek looked pretty big, had a number of features, and a huge kicker to boot. However, I'd say if your kid was looking forward to a trip out West or New England then Silver Creek might seem pretty small (but you can say that about most Mid-A resorts).

You still have the option to catch a shuttle up the mountain to Snowshoe and ski there as well. The same lift ticket works at both resorts. Someone with some local knowledge of Snowshoe would know if there is a good time to ski there on weekends to beat the crowds.

Tom
skier219
January 13, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I always have a great time there, and it's an awesome way to escape crowds at Snowshoe. I'd consider going there and ONLY skiing Silver Creek. I do wish they had more condo options -- I am not a big fan of the large hotel-style arrangement when I have to carry gear, groceries, etc for a large group. Much rather back my car up to the front door of single- or duplex- unit condos such as the ones over at Snowshoe.
Clay
January 14, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I will chime in with my agreement. When my son and I were learning to board and ski (respectively), when we weren't in the valley we would go to Silver Creek. As beginners, we found the main mountain way too crowded and imtimidating, but Silver Creek is wonderful. And from a boarder's perspective, my son loved the way the spread their terrain park features over several trails (not sure if they still do that)
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Originally Posted By: skier219
I always have a great time there, and it's an awesome way to escape crowds at Snowshoe. I'd consider going there and ONLY skiing Silver Creek. I do wish they had more condo options -- I am not a big fan of the large hotel-style arrangement when I have to carry gear, groceries, etc for a large group. Much rather back my car up to the front door of single- or duplex- unit condos such as the ones over at Snowshoe.

but... that is why you like the skiing - don't kill the goose!
skier219
January 14, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yeah, good point.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Originally Posted By: pagamony

I don't think you'll see the development at Silver Creek in the same way that you've seen at Snowshoe. For starters, the land leading to the Silver Creek lodge, that huge, impersonal white block that emanates memories of an old Soviet apartment building - is owned by their Home Owners Association. With so many units at Silver Creek, and no underground parking, they need that land. There has been limited development on the access road via the Creekside townhouses, but this development is a fairly low density area.

As far as the crowding, I have seen Silver Creek crowded perhaps twice in 12 years. On holiday weekends, I start off on the main basin at Snowshoe, then about 10 AM I transition to Cupp, and by noon I end up at Silver Creek The rest of the afternoon is a great time of non-crowding. If you want to see a review of the lodge, click http://www.yelp.com/biz/silver-creek-lodge-snowshoe
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Lou,
Read your Silver Creek Lodge review...great. Just a couple of observations however. Is there some place there to eat a decent meal....usually I end up in the upstairs cafe and it definitely has no decor.
Secondly, when the lodge was first built the plan was to add a couple of more wings to the building. These would have gone where the large barren outside wall are now.
The Colonel smile
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: lbotta
Originally Posted By: pagamony

As far as the crowding, I have seen Silver Creek crowded perhaps twice in 12 years. On holiday weekends, I start off on the main basin at Snowshoe, then about 10 AM I transition to Cupp, and by noon I end up at Silver Creek The rest of the afternoon is a great time of non-crowding. If you want to see a review of the lodge, click http://www.yelp.com/biz/silver-creek-lodge-snowshoe

What do you think of the night skiing?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Well lit. Cold! The Colonel smile
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
1,535 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel
when the lodge was first built the plan was to add a couple of more wings to the building. These would have gone where the large barren outside wall are now.
The Colonel smile

Ah so desu! That explains the Soviet-style barren architecture with no windows! Thanks! I always wondered where they would have got the Russian architect who designed the place. On the other hand, once you're inside, it is a model of ingenuity.

Who knows, someday they will add the pre-designed wings and then put in several new restaurants... wishful thinking...
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
1,535 posts
As far as a good meal... Not at Silver Creek. However, you're a mile closer to the Brazen Head Inn as well as one of the true gems of the area, the Elk River Restaurant. This last one is amazing! I just got their new menu and will be there next weekend for a review.
MarkMascolino
January 15, 2009
Member since 01/18/2007 🔗
32 posts
I won't repeat the above sentiments but will add that you should keep in mind that the two black trails aren't open for night skiing unfortunately. Otherwise it is great place.
GRK
January 15, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Thanks all. Sounds like a great choice in case I can't swing a northern or western trip.

GRK
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?