Ski4Life Ski Marathon for Leukemia & Lymphoma
12 posts
6 users
3k+ views
JamieGrose79
January 10, 2009
Member since 01/10/2009 🔗
108 posts
This is my first post on DCSki. Please bear with me as a rookie.

I am going to participate in the Ski4Life Marathon at Ski Roundtop on February 21, 2009. I am trying to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I will post the link for my donation page at the bottom.

If I raise the most funds I will win a season pass for Whitetail, liberty, and Roundtop for 2010. I will donate this pass to a child who doesn't have the funds to ski. I am working with the Frederick Ski Club to find a child just incase I win. I don't know yet as the economy is not helping right now. If anyone could help donate it would be great. It is tax deductible and you can print the receipt at the end of the donation confirmation page. I know that it is hard to donate money with the current economic climate. You don;t have to donate big and you can choose to make an anonymous donation as well. I will be the only person that will be able to see your donation.

I am also trying to beat last years record of 77,500 total vertical feet of skiing in 14 hours. This is mostly a personal goal as I am pretty big headed sometimes. LOL.

If anyone is interested in joining in on the marathon you can see register at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society website. Just search Ski4Life at google as the link is pretty long and ugly.

Here is my donation link:
http://www.active.com/donate/ski4life2009/jamiegrose

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. You can always check out my page just to gain some information on the diseases. This is a great way for me to spread some awareness if anything else.

Thanks So Much,
Jamie Grose
Frederick, MD
jgrose79@comcast.net
wojo
January 10, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Good luck,

Anyone do this last year?? Jamie has inspired me to think about signing up.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
What a great way to raise funds for a worthwhile cause!
Welcome to DCSki.
The Colonel smile
David
January 11, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Awesome job! Cancer SUCKS!!!!!
JamieGrose79
January 12, 2009
108 posts
I am glad that people are thinking of joining in on the event. Thanks for the compliment Colonel. I will keep you guys updated as to my progress and I will try not to bug people on here for donations. Please remember a $1 dollar donation can still go a long way with treatment when people donate in numbers. Donations don't have to be a ton of money.
Thanks,
Jamie
JamieGrose79
February 23, 2009
108 posts
I just wanted to update everyone here know that the Ski4Life event was a success. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society was able to raise $55,000 this year with the Ski4Life program. A big thank you goes out to all of the skiers and boarders who helped raise money for this great cause. I would also like to thank all of the people at the Society who were able to make this event happen. A big thank you goes oout to the Roundtop Resort staff who made the day great. First of the morning we found that the crews had blown fresh snow on the whole mountain. Nice powder day and the conditions and the atmosphere were excellent. They couldn't have picked a better day to ski for 14 hours.
I ended up skiing with a former Leukemia Survivor named Caleb Kilgore. Caleb has had leukemia since 2003 and was diagnosed in 2005. He had a bone marrow transplant in July of 2008 and was skiing strong all day with me. We decided to team up to win the most vertical feet award and we ended up pulling out a win for most vertical feet. We ended up with 51,000 some vertical feet after skiing for 14 hours. Since we tied, I ended up giving Caleb the prize because he inspired me all day to keep pushing to win. The prize was a $30 gift certificate to a local restaurant. I also ended up winning the third place prize of an Xbox 360 packaged with two childrens games. I donated this back to the society so that a sick child would have this game console to play with while in treatment.
Thanks to all who helped support this cause, and to those involved with the set up of the event. Big thanks once again to Ski Roundtop for sponsoring the event and all that they did to make the skiers and boarders comfortable all day long. Thanks again.
Clay
February 23, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Great news! That was a noble thing to do and I think it reflects well on our sport.
JamieGrose79
February 24, 2009
108 posts
Thanks Clay. I told people on here that I am not just a jerk all of the time. Just some of the time. Thanks for the props Clay.
Eug
February 24, 2009
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Great job Jamie!

I think I understand the effort that takes to raise this amount of money and kudos to you. I am involved in a similar event called Climb4Life and it is for Ovarian Cancer Research. Last year, in the Washington DC event, we raised a little bit over $59,000. It took us about 1.5 months to do that. It took a lot of emails, recruiting people, spreading the word, following up with people, thank yous, etc, etc.

Congratulations again on your successful fundraiser!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Fantastic job Jamie, both on the dollars collected and your personal consideration of those for whom the event was held...a most gentlemenly genuine effort!!
The Colonel smile
David
February 24, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Awesome job Jamie!! Cancer sucks!!! Thanks for your effort!!
JamieGrose79
February 25, 2009
108 posts
No Problem guys thanks for the compliments.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.