Snowshoe or 7 Springs still open in April?
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
abumason
January 10, 2009
Member since 01/10/2009 🔗
2 posts
Hi all,

great board here lot of great info.

Don't know why, but the kids (Fairfax County Schools) spring break this year is 6-10 April.

Will either Snowshoe or Seven Springs still be open, and will it be worth it?

Our original plan was to head out west to visit friends in Denver and do a few days at Breck or Copper, but that fell through, so we're exploring alternatives within driving distance.

Thanks in advance,
-Thor
Clay
January 10, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Welcome Thor!
Snowshoe is scheduled to close the last weekend of March. I'm not sure about 7 Springs. Timberline closes the first weekend of April, so that doesn't help you either...
scootertig
January 10, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Depending on your definition of "driving distance", you may have a better shot heading north. I skied Easter Sunday last year at Sugarloaf, and conditions were unbelievable (although it was ridiculously cold, too).

I think a bunch of Vermont/Maine options may still be available. They're driving distance for me (meaning drivable in a day), but may not be for a family with kids. Definitely too far for a day trip...

aaron
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 10, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Local skiing will be unlikely or marginal. I suppose there is a slight chance Snowshoe would extend their season if conditions are exceptional. Like scootertig, I went north last Easter. Late spring skiing was better than average in northern New England and Eastern Canada last year: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1145&mode=search
abumason
January 10, 2009
Member since 01/10/2009 🔗
2 posts
Yeah, thanks. We've done Killington the last two years, and this year we now have friends in Denver, so out west seemed feasible - airfare is about the same. Just looking for something new.

I just found the "last hurrah weekend" on their site.

Looks like our plans have changed again and we'll be headed to Snowshoe the last weekend of February now. Let's hope the conditions hold up.

thanks for all the replies.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
You might want to check on Salt Lake City. Air fares right now are really low. And good snow at Snowbird and Alta is a given. Snowbird has a special with American Express that is esceptionally inexpensive beginning sometime in early April.
If you want more info, just ask and many of your fellow DCSkier SLC lovers will have the answers. You can also stay in SLC and get a great motel rate.
Welcome to DCSki.
The Colonel smile
tromano
January 11, 2009
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
April is a great time to ski in UT.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.