How bad will it be on 1/20?
23 posts
16 users
4k+ views
scootertig
January 6, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Thanks to working in Arlington, I've got the 20th off from work. I was thinking to head to the slopes, but a comment in another thread suggested that I'm not as clever in thinking of that as I'd hoped.

Do you suspect a lot of people have the same plan?

aaron
Clay
January 6, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Probably, but DC tends to be a fickle ski area. If the weather is not nice (either cloudy, snowy or too cold) the masses may decide to go elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I think its going to be a crapshoot, but would not be surprised to see crowds of the MLK weekend size.
djwoz
January 6, 2009
Member since 02/21/2008 🔗
12 posts
The Martin Luther King Birthday holiday is on Monday, January 19. MLK weekend is always a busy weekend at the local ski areas. I know it is one of the busiest of the season at Wisp. I would expect that with many people in the Washington, DC area getting a 4 day weekend for the Inauguration it will be even busier this year.
Clay
January 6, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I just realized that and came back to fix my post! Thanks djwoz!! Yep, it's going to be busy!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
JohnL
January 6, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Even if the ski areas are mobbed, it will be less crowded on the slopes than inside the Beltway...
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Snowshoe is still advertising that rooms are available,for MLK weekend but the selection is dwindling. I know that the little kids ski school sessions and private lessons are filling fast.
I would not anticipate a massive crowd on Tuesday since it is only the metro Wash area that gets the day off, or at least the government folks. Most service businesses and major contractors will be open...with liberal leave of course.
Since much of Snowshoe's business is not from the Washington area, most of these folks will head home on late Monday.
WHAT OTHER DCSKIERS WILL BE AT THE SHOE IN BETWEEN THE 16TH AND 21ST. Lou has already indicated he will be at the mountain, I will be, who else? Let's try to plan a meet-up for a few runs!
The Colonel smile
kwillg6
January 7, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
let's see... MLK weekend at the shoe? I think it would be much safer to be inside of the beltway. That weekend is always insane on the shoe's basin side. Better off heading to the creek to make turns. I'll be at t-line doing the ski school thing. Probably dozens of groups. frown
Roger Z
January 7, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Skiing on inauguration day back in DC was always a great experience for me. I'd say go for it. DC will be swarmed, the slopes should be empty. Enjoy!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Another thing to consider... Most of DC will be paralyzed. Between security and crowds, anything within 20 miles of DC will be either militarized or mobbed. As much as I want to be there, be a part of history making, and (as you all know) celebrate the day as an unrepentant tax-and-spend liberal, I am a sane person. Which means I'll let the out-of-DC folks have their fill of this great town.

Another aspect is my dog. Election day was so traumatic for him that he stopped eating for almost a week. With about 20 thousand people on 14th and U, barely two blocks from my condo, the noise level was deafening. He was under the bed trembling thinking the world was coming down on him. He only got better the next week when we went to Snowshoe. So I like spoiling my dog.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
We will be at M'nut for MLK weekend with friends since the girls have a 4-day holiday weekend. Apparently the resort set up a special bus for people who WANT to be at the Mall on Jan. 20. Leave M'nut at 2am and stay all day. My reaction was "no way!" We're going to go tubing that morning, then watch on TV before heading home.

I sure hope the cold weather stays for a couple weeks! When it's really cold, say highs below 32, the people who stay at M'nut tend to ski less. Which means better snow and less crowds.
MichaelME
January 8, 2009
32 posts
Day trip to SS Fri., 1/9 from Richmond area. Kwillg6. what's the creek you mention? I know there is no cover in the woods now, but for future ref., occasionally like to earn my turns. Is it beyond the ropes at SS?

Rise up,

Michael
tgd
January 8, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I believe Kim is referring to Silver Creek - the other resort at Snowshoe.
kwillg6
January 8, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Tom's right, but there are places you can earn em there. Just don't expect anyone to volunteer the information. whistle
SeaRide
January 8, 2009
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts

Originally Posted By: scootertig

Do you suspect a lot of people have the same plan?

aaron

Yes I suspect a lot of people have the same plan on being out of DC area for the MLK weekend. Saw the news and had discussed among friends. Lot of people I know are traveling out for the MLK weekend. I know I will be at SLC Utah during the MLK weekend.
David
January 8, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
FYI, the Tline ski school asked if the instructors could stick around and work Tuesday also. From the way the email read it seems they expect to have plenty of business that day. Then again, who really knows??
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2009
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: David
FYI, the Tline ski school asked if the instructors could stick around and work Tuesday also. From the way the email read it seems they expect to have plenty of business that day. Then again, who really knows??

Could that be because some schools have Tue off? In NC, MLK has become a 4-day weekend for students. Nothing to do with the inauguration. Also for President's Day weekend for some schools. I'm looking forward to skiing somewhere on Feb. 17.
JohnL
January 8, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Could that be because some schools have Tue off?

Most likely due to the events in DC. Depending upon how many people actually show up (1-2 million is the latest prediction?) and what closures/restrictions the Secret Service finally implements, this could be a gridlock of epic proportions. I'm even a bit hesitant driving back into town Tuesday evening, but I have a hockey game I cant miss.

Imagine a 3 mile by 3 mile grid in Raleigh closed to all traffic with no cars (even those of residents) allowed to park on the streets. Imagine 1 million Yankees plow into that grid. Further imagine many major roads within 15-20 miles of that closed. Would you stay in town for that?
comprex
January 8, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Did you see today's Post:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/getthere/2009/01/road_restrictions_for_inaugura.html

Key Bridge - open to buses, Chain Bridge - open to buses

TR Bridge, Mem Bridge, Case Bridge, 14th St. Bridge -> closed, everything diverts to I-495 and the Wilson bridge on that side.

Not even cyclists.

All of I66 and I50 HAS to dump out through Rosslyn onto Key Bridge.

Guh.

I was -hoping- it would only be as bad as the USMC Marathon, but it looks worse.
JohnL
January 8, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Did you see today's Post:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/getthere/2009/01/road_restrictions_for_inaugura.html

Key Bridge - open, Chain Bridge - open

TR Bridge, Mem Bridge, Case Bridge, 14th St. Bridge -> closed, everything diverts to I-495 and the Wilson bridge on that side.

Not even cyclists.

All of I66 and I50 HAS to dump out through Rosslyn onto Key Bridge.

Guh.

I was -hoping- it would only be as bad as the USMC Marathon, but it looks worse.

It's worse than that. I-395 and I-66 inside the Beltway closed to general traffic (tour buses, etc. only.)

Chain Bridge and Key Bridge are also closed to general traffic.

IIRC, the only bridge you can walk across is the Memorial Bridge.

See you on the slopes at Timberline on Tuesday?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2009
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL

Imagine a 3 mile by 3 mile grid in Raleigh closed to all traffic with no cars (even those of residents) allowed to park on the streets. Imagine 1 million Yankees plow into that grid. Further imagine many major roads within 15-20 miles of that closed. Would you stay in town for that?

I don't think the urban Yankees will be the problem. More the folks who only visit a big city once every ten years.

I'm a transplanted New Yorker. The one time I've seen Raleigh in total gridlock was when it snowed an inch in the early afternoon a few years ago. People left work early all at the same time, all the schools closed early, and the highways were so packed no sand trucks or plows could do anything so the roadways became a sheet of packed ice. Took some people 8 hours to get home instead of 30 minutes. Meanwhile the city streets were no problem to drive. It was nuts!

My brother lives in DC. I imagine he is going to stay home all day.

I'll make sure we are well on our way south before people leave DC.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 9, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I would imagine Blue Knob won't be too bad on Inauguration Day, especially if we don't leak the word that it's a $20 Tuesday up there. wink
appskiah
January 9, 2009
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
This is my first inauguration while living in the DC metro. I'm taking advantage of my two federal holidays and doing a road trip to New England. Lets see if the crowds follow me to Saddleback and MRG, ha! Doubtful.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
For what is worth... We've got our essential people who need to be at work bringing cots to work because they won't be able to leave work after they get there on the 19th. It will be a madhouse. Great welcome for Obama, but as far as disruption to the Capital city, it will probably be the largest event in history.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?