Question about Paradice/DJ at Massanutten
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
Fleetwood
January 5, 2009
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Hopefully this isn't a silly question, but I was curious about how "expert" Paradice and DJ are at Massanutten.

I've been down Rebel Yell numerous times over the last couple of years, but have never ventured up to the top of lift #6. I have been down a few black runs at WG, but I will admit it was probably more work than fun at the time (only by a little bit though!). In order to progress, you've got to try, right?

The only way to get a good view of the PD and DJ runs is to go up there, and once you are there it is do or die I guess. Based on some pictures I've seen from the top, DJ seems to take off steeper and perhaps narrower than Paradice.

What do you think? Should I just go for it? I certainly don't want to put myself or anyone else in harm's way, but like I said, at some point I am going to have to try.

Thanks!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 5, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: Fleetwood
Hopefully this isn't a silly question, but I was curious about how "expert" Paradice and DJ are at Massanutten.

I've been down Rebel Yell numerous times over the last couple of years, but have never ventured up to the top of lift #6. I have been down a few black runs at WG, but I will admit it was probably more work than fun at the time (only by a little bit though!). In order to progress, you've got to try, right?

The only way to get a good view of the PD and DJ runs is to go up there, and once you are there it is do or die I guess. Based on some pictures I've seen from the top, DJ seems to take off steeper and perhaps narrower than Paradice.

What do you think? Should I just go for it? I certainly don't want to put myself or anyone else in harm's way, but like I said, at some point I am going to have to try.

Thanks!

Not a silly question. If you are skiing the top of Rebel Yell with confidence, you should be fine on DJ or ParaDice. Just plan on stopping to rest a few times. For relatively new intermediate skiers, they feel like really long runs.

I took my niece up for her first black run around age 14. She'd only skied a couple times on Girl Scout outings before that. We'd warmed up on Rebel Yell all morning. She was very excited on the first ride up the high speed lift. Positively exhilarated to find she could ski ParaDice. Needless to say, we spent the next hour going up and down the black runs non-stop.

My daughter started on DJ last winter (her third ski season). ParaDice never had snow so that wasn't an option. She liked it. It's really nice to be able to stay away from the other lifts now . . . at least for a few runs before she's ready for hot chocolate. smile
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 5, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Originally Posted By: marzNC
If you are skiing the top of Rebel Yell with confidence, you should be fine on DJ or ParaDice. Just plan on stopping to rest a few times. For relatively new intermediate skiers, they feel like really long runs.

Good answer Marz. DJ and Paradice are very similar to each other in difficulty. As an experienced skier I actually find them easier than Upper Rebel Yell or especially Upper Dixie Dare when it has moguls. DJ and Paradice get less traffic, so you feel like you have more room to operate and they get less scraped off than top of Rebel Yell.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 5, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
shh, you are giving away a secret about skiing Massanutten. The quad for the upper right expert slopes generally has no or very short lines. If folks know these slopes are not as tough they are made out to be the chair will get crowded! Now just to make sure the DCSki reader is not misled, you need to be a relatively proficient blue or black run skier to tackle thes slopes. We do not want bodies and frightened sliders not able to ride/ski these slopes ending all over these slopes. By the way, with these and any other slopes, surface conditions make a big difference in skiability. If real slushy, icy, or bumped up, then a blue sloper might want to stay; but if groomed or early in the day, give them a try.
The Colonel smile
tskski
January 5, 2009
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
I'd say give it a try. I skied Paradice for the first last year on a weekday. Hardly anyone on the moutain so I thought it was a good time to try it. I had skied all other trails. Paradice is wide so you'll have plenty of room to work your way down or stop to rest a bit. There's nothing any steeper than the very top of Rebel Yell. Good luck!
Clay
January 6, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Never been to Mass, but I always approach these situations with the attitude of "If it's too tough, it will be a great time to practice the side slipping that I never get around to practicing".

I also try to step back objectively and try to ascertain what my gut is telling me. I sounds to me that your gut is telling you that you are ready.

Take it easy, make full turns and I'm sure you'll be fine.

My 2 cents...
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: Fleetwood

Thanks!

Fleetwood: check your Messages (under My Stuff) --Marz
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?