Atomic Binding Recall
13 posts
9 users
22k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 4, 2009
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Tyler Bunch from the Alpine Ski Shop forwarded me the following info about a voluntary recall of certain Atomic bindings. If you have Atomic bindings, you might want to see if yours are affected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VOLUNTARY RECALL OF THE HEEL COMPONENTS OF CERTAIN SKI BINDINGS PRODUCED BETWEEN 1998 AND 2002

Atomic Ski USA, Inc. is carrying out a voluntary, precautionary recall of the heel components of the below listed models of the ATOMIC Race, Xentrix, Device, Centro and DYNAMIC ski bindings. The specific ski binding models subject to the recall were produced between 1998 and 2002.

The heel housing component of these bindings could crack, possibly causing the binding to release early, posing a falling risk to the skier. Therefore, these binding models must no longer be used.

If you have one of the listed binding models, please contact an authorized Atomic USA Ski Dealer. A dealer can determine whether your binding type is subject to the recall. If this is the case, the heel components will be replaced by new ones at no charge.

The following is an example of the affected heel component
The following models are affected:
ATOMIC
Race 310 / Race 412 / RaceRace 310 / RaceRace 412
Xentrix 310 / Xentrix 311 / Xentrix 412 / C 310 / C 311 / C 412 / CR 310 / CR 412 / R 310 / R 412 / SX 310 / SX 412
Device 311 / Device 412
Centro 310 / Centro 412

DYNAMIC
ADX 310 / RD10 / X412 / Centro 412

Your binding will be inspected at the dealer. If your binding is one of the listed models produced between 1998 and 2002, the heel components will be replaced by new ones at no charge. In most cases, we expect that the exchange process will be completed within 72 hours.

The safety of our customers and the quality of our products are Atomic's top priorities.

If you have any questions about the product recall, please email consumerserviceUS@atomicsnow.com or call Atomic USA's dedicated toll-free hotline, (888) 535-7555.

FAQ:

If my bindings are affected, what should I do?
Atomic is asking owners of the listed binding models to contact an authorized Atomic USA Ski Dealer. The authorized dealer can then determine whether the product is actually one of the binding types subject to the recall. If this is the case, the heel components will be replaced by new ones at no charge.

How much does the exchange cost?
The replacement is at no charge.

Can I fix the problem myself?
No. Only an authorized Atomic USA Ski Dealer can check and then exchange the affected heel parts and readjust the binding.

I bought the binding abroad but am now back in my home country. What can I do?
The bindings can be exchanged at any authorized sports dealership that sells Atomic and/or Dynamic products, regardless of the country the binding was purchased in. See www.atomicsnow.com for dealers in your area.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2009
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Thanks, I actually have the Device 311 bindings and would have otherwise missed this recall. Good work!
skiTLINE
January 5, 2009
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
I have the device 310 so i guess I am ok????
comprex
January 5, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: skiTLINE
I have the device 310 so i guess I am ok????

1) check heel lever date '98 to '03
2) check for ornamental plastic arc on main heelpiece body under heel lever

3) If both (1) and (2) heelpiece needs to be removed to check heelpiece housing date.
Wild1Bill
December 21, 2009
Member since 12/21/2009 🔗
2 posts

Just had a race this past weekend and the Heel on My Atomic 614 race bindins broke. I noticed the Heel peice on my 614 bindings are not covered in the recall and wonder why since it is the same heel peice that is used on the 412 bindings that are covered?
I Currently have 4 sets of Race skis with this 614 binding and 1 set with the 412 and it realy makes me mad that my more expensive bindings with the same parts are not covered. Has anyone else had this same problem and been able to get it resolved?
I have also Contacted the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission about this and Filed a report and I Suggest anyone else with this same 614 binding do the same since it is only a matter of time untill yours will break also.
cnewell
December 27, 2009
Member since 12/27/2009 🔗
3 posts
I have the 412 race bindings and they just fell apart yesterday. I took them to a shop and they are not covered because they were made in 2003. I was told it was not the binding that broke just the plastic in the binding. What kind off an answer is that. Not only they are not covered but I have to use Atomic bindings, what now every other year I have to replace $250 bindings? What they don't have the parts to just replace the piece that broke? Glad I have an old set that are made of metal that I can trust.
Wild1Bill
December 27, 2009
Member since 12/21/2009 🔗
2 posts
That makes no sense. From what I have seen your 2003 bindings are made the same way the others were made and will eventualy break like all the others. I would contact the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and file a report with them about this.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09077.html
I just got the paper work to file my complaint and I intend to include pictures of bindings they cover and bindings they don't cover just to show they are the exact same parts and that it will only be a matter of time until someone gets hurt.
comprex
December 28, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: Wild1Bill
From what I have seen your 2003 bindings are made the same way the others were made and will eventualy break like all the others.

How do you know the plastic is the same?
cnewell
December 29, 2009
3 posts
I talked with Atomic today and got the typical answer that seem to be read out of a book. The thing they seem to what to keep saying is that it is a voluntary recall. I guess they think we are all stupid and can't read the consumer product safty report where is states "The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below". That statement seems to tell me Atomic was going to do a recall one way or another, so they figured they might as well do a voluntary recall instead of waiting for teh Consumer Product Safety Commission made them.

If it is not the same plastic then it is very odd, that a pair a year later is having the same exact problem.

It would just seem to me that they would have the parts that could fix the binding, instead I have to buy a whole new setup. I'm not going to buy anymore of their crappy stuff. I was skiing pretty hard when it just broke, what would have happened if I was near a tree or something crazey like that. Lucky for me I was in a wide open area when it happened. I will make sure to tell everyone about these bindings and how Atomic reacted. Not help or a break on the price to replace the bindings.
cnewell
December 29, 2009
3 posts
They suggested use the 614 they are made a little better and I just wanted to say, i just read a post last night about the 614 braking. I could tell I was wasting my time by trying to even talk to this person.
spiskai
February 13, 2010
Member since 02/13/2010 🔗
1 posts
Originally Posted By: cnewell
I have the 412 race bindings and they just fell apart yesterday. I took them to a shop and they are not covered because they were made in 2003.

I have 412 race bindings too, and they broke this afternoon. The bindings were made in 2003 too. Are they seriously not under the recall?!? The plastic in the heel just randomly tore. Is this like your situation? and did anything ever come of you talking with Atomic?
hugh
February 14, 2010
Member since 02/14/2010 🔗
1 posts
My 2003 SX412's just broke tonight. The heel piece cracked in two places. I wasn't putting any unusual stress on them either. I'm calling Atomic on Monday. I'm also taking pictures and sending the info to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Has anyone had luck getting Atomic to replace the 2003's?
EMSLIFESAVER
September 12, 2010
Member since 09/12/2010 🔗
1 posts
I had the same happen to my bindings while skiing up here in Canada. The back of the binding basically sheared off. I checked the date on the back and it was an 03 binding so Atomic won't do anything for me either. So i guess I will go up to the ski shop and see if anything else will fit on my skiis without re-drilling and I will do my damnest to ensure they are not Atomic that I put back on!

Regards,
frustrated

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.