9 posts
6 users
2k+ views
jupiter
December 21, 2008
Member since 12/21/2008 🔗
3 posts
newbie here...

Hi - I'm a fla mom looking for the ultimate xmas gift for my college kid - GWU who's starting to freak after finals. we're mainly a family that's into watersports - I don't think she owned a pair of socks prior to GWU... Where would be a good place to get a weekend ski trip as a xmas gift for her and her dormmates, that they could get to via amtrak, and could rent all necessaries? thanks in advance and happy holidays!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 21, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,966 posts
Neat idea jupiter. I'll suggest a rather elaborate plan first: Union Station in DC to NYC then continue to Rutland, VT and take a shuttle bus from there to Killington, VT. I've attached a couple links to give you details. If you get serious about this you should also contact Killington resort, third link and maybe Amtrak. There are other options such as Stowe, VT, but Killington is a favorite of college age people and is one of New England's most significant ski areas. Mid-Atlantic ski areas are not too Amtrak friendly, but a few such as Snowshoe, WV might be doable if a one hour bus or taxi connection could be arranged via your lodging choice. Where there's a will, there's a way.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/north_american_train_travel/89301

http://www.killingtonguide.com/travel/amtrak-ethan-allen-express.html

http://www.killington.com/winter/index.html
GRK
December 21, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Jim K and others

What do you think about Belleayre, NY as an option for Jupiter? It is about 18 miles from Rhinecliff NY Amtrak station which has pretty frequent service from DC via NY.

Not sure about lodging and nightlife for college kids though...but others will. Bet they would love Killington if not too far for them.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 21, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
You have two outstanding options. As Jim K stated, catching Amtrak to Penn Station and then the Ethan Allen to Rutland then Killington. K'ton is definitely a college kid's place. Brash, boisterous, large, and with a three-mile long party town on the main access road.

As Jim K talked about K'ton, I won't be redundant. Another alternative is to take the Vermonter from DC. You don't have to change trains in NYC - straight shot to Stowe, and it drops you only in Waterbury, 8 minutes from Stowe and the taxi can stop at Ben and Jerry's so you can experience the rigors of Liberal ice cream. Stowe is my favorite place in the East. Stately, dignified, very New England. And spectacular beauty in its historical setting. There is a party scene but definitely more subdued than K'ton.

The best bet in Stowe, is one of the mini-resorts at the place. They range from upscale but not always expensive, such as the new slopeside Stowe Village, as well as the world famous Trapp Family lodge with its own 2,000 acre estate, the Stowflake's 4 star rated accommodations, or the Green Mountain Inn. On the less expensive but not lacking in amenities is the Commodore Inn with its own mini-lake and the Innsbruck Inn. Most of these offer complimentary breakfasts.

Transportation in Stowe to and from the slopes is through their mass transit system. Although the fare is $1.00, many hotels will give you Stowe Bucks so the transport is free.

I absolutely love Vermont. Went to College there and plan to retire - as a matter of fact, in Stowe. Vermont is a way of life as close to Europe as you can within the US. And a wonderful gift for your daughter. Either K'ton or Stowe, you can't go wrong.
jupiter
December 22, 2008
3 posts
Thanks to you all! Now I just have to convince her to wear socks! when she came home for turkey day, stole her reefs so she had to wear shoes! y'all better watch out, ha ha - she can get pretty good! and thanks again = please have some wonderful holidays.
Eug
December 24, 2008
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Hey Jupiter,

Besides transportation, location, etc, there are also clothing and/or equipment issues.

Does you daughter and friends have winter clothes (jackets, pants, long johns, gloves, goggles, etc)?

Skiing/snowboarding could be a very miserable experience if she gets wet or is cold during the whole trip.

However, it sounds like a great xmas present!
jupiter
December 24, 2008
3 posts
my thoughts, exactly - here in south fla we rent our boards out but u gotta get your own baggies - what's up with the skiing - my assumption was that she could rent ski's and boots, maybe goggles? most of the kids are running around in north face's or pategonia's (i;ve already had to buy some.... and hallelujah some socks!) thanks for your tips and keep em' coming....
Clay
December 24, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I'm not sure you can rent goggles, but if she couldn't there is typically a place right there you can pick up a pair. My son starts at GMU in the fall, but he better not get any ideas about trips for gifts.... smile
GRK
December 24, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
As Clay noted goggles generally are not rented but helmet, boots, and skis or boards are. They will want coat, jacket and gloves that are at least marginally water resistant. They probably already have coats that will work. They can pick up some googles at Dicks or similar for pretty cheap before they leave.

Keep in mind if you take advice given by Ibotta and others(which I think is a great idea) and send them North into Vermont it can get very cold so warn them accordingly.

One good thing about young people...they will roll with whatever comes up and still enjoy themselves.

Let us know what you decided and how it turns out!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.