Timberline was good this weekend
15 posts
9 users
4k+ views
kwillg6
December 15, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
After all the rain, the conditions at t-line was much better than expected. WL, Sally, Winterset, Twister and OTW with whales open fully. Expect additional terrain by next weekend. They had been making snow on upper dew drop, lower heaven, the sno-park, and had just started blowing on upper and lower thunder. It'll take them a good 4-5 days of additonal snowmaking on thunder to get it open so Christmas week will have ample terrain for beginners.
Clay
December 15, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Good to hear. I'm in Wisconsin this week (high today - 9) but I hope to get up there Sunday for a couple of days.
skiTLINE
December 15, 2008
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Yes conditions were nice. My son was excited he skied from top down Sally a few times.
Was good seeing you Kim. Your wife tried to let our dogs get introduced Sat evening but it didnt go too well wink
David
December 15, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I had a great weekend at Tline. You couldn't ask for better Spring conditions!! Also, I had a young student go from never skiing before to a strong level IV in just a few hours. Made for a fun day trying to keep up with him on Sally and Twister. I hope next week is gonna be a good one too....
fishnski
December 15, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
With all due respect to your teaching David..Kids nowadays have such an advantage with todays ski's over the jalopies I & all the vets out there had to learn with!
skier219
December 15, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
When I learned, I started on 180cm skis. Hard to believe, as my "expert" skis range from 175-186cm now. Of course, before that I had some sweet 205cm Kastles, Olins, and Elans!
David
December 15, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Oh, you old folks...... Hey, I can at least remember way back when Pluto was actually a planet. Also remember them funny plastic things with ribbon that you put in a player to hear music.....
kwillg6
December 16, 2008
2,066 posts
Originally Posted By: David
Also remember them funny plastic things with ribbon that you put in a player to hear music.....

U speakin of 8 traks or cazets???? grin Some of us old'ins even used battery powered portable 45 players to play the most popular tunes cuz u couldn't find them on ur local AM radio station. Couldn't get "couzin Brucie" till after dark.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 16, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
kwillg6,
I'll see you and raise you one!
I once had a Victrola that belonged to my grandparents that played records, but only after you cranked the handle!
You in or out?
The Colonel smile
"Skis get old, skiers never do. Ponce de Leon was just looking in the wrong place."
GGNagy
December 16, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Cousin Brucie?

Bah!

Pork the Tork. The Daddio of the Raddio

And for the Colonel, did your grandmas Victrola, take proper cylinders, or those newfangled disc thingys? Probably even only went up to 45rpm :P
December 16, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
GGNagy,
You show your age. No it did not take those "proper cylinders". I only played the highly breakable 78rpm "disc things", aka "records". It had a hugh sold steel (I think) needle. The 45 & 33 rpm records did not come out until much later.
My biggest regret is that I did not keep the Victrola. It would sure be pricey today!
The Colonel smile
TGV
December 17, 2008
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
I remember those funny things in the front of my skis in the early 70's. They were mounted on my 180 cm skis, (I think I was 90cm). LOL

Even TLine has come a long way this year.
We have had a lot of help from mother nature, but the snow guns and pump are now so much more powerful; the base is HUGE.

The terrain park is almost "ready". There is (what seems to be) 15 feet of snow on the park: I will let you know as soon that they open it up, but that should not be long now.

Well, the rain has taken its toll on the valley (see photos at Visit Canaan)... but Timberline seems to have made a safe bet this year. Looking towards a good weekend.
kwillg6
December 18, 2008
2,066 posts
Gee, Colonel I think you got me but I remember that my grandfather had one of those when I was a kid. He also had a one that played from a tube. I couldn't figure out how it worked since I was very young then and the tubes were in pretty bad shape. In cleaning out my dad's house I found a stack of 1/4 inch thick 16 rpm records. I knew he had the customary 33s, and 78s but the 16s were a rare find and dated back into the 1930s. Funny how we remember bits and pieces. I wonder what our children and grandchildren will say about our "state of the art" devices from the early 21st century. Probably will compare them to stones and chisels.
GGNagy
December 18, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel
GGNagy,
You show your age. No it did not take those "proper cylinders". I only played the highly breakable 78rpm "disc things", aka "records". It had a hugh sold steel (I think) needle. The 45 & 33 rpm records did not come out until much later.
My biggest regret is that I did not keep the Victrola. It would sure be pricey today!
The Colonel smile

hahahaha More like I am showing too much of my useless knowledge of vintage things. I race 45-50 year old cars and play with 60-80 year old trains. Geek wise I still have my 'green card' even though it is a yellow book. My sister knows that when my parents ever pass away, I get the right of first refusal on their restored ice box, victrola and my grandfathers wire recorder.
December 18, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
GGNagy,
You got me, wire recorder???
The Colonel smile

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.