Ski/Snowboarding Etiquette
33 posts
24 users
8k+ views
PaulR
December 8, 2008
Member since 02/10/2006 🔗
34 posts
I was at Snowshoe this weekend (I ski there a lot, I have a condo) and I am constantly shocked at the lack of Ski/Snowboarding etiquette. I've skied out west a lot and I am shocked at the stupidity at some of these people. Just a few things I noticed...

1. Snowboarders "camping/chillin" in the middle of the trail
2. Skiers/Snowboarders resting right under a "roller"
3. Skiers/Snowboarders within your ability

I can't count how many times I saw people doing the above. To me, it would be like parking your car in the middle of the beltway...its not safe. I think resorts need to have "rules" posted like I've seen out West. I just kept thinking how much smarter/aware Westcoasters are. Am I being a jerk here or has anyone else noticed this?

Sorry for the rant in advance smile.

-Paul
hockeydave
December 8, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Stupidity, ignorance, rudeness, and lack of courtesy knows no boundaries. And it is only getting worse thanks to parents raising kids the way they are today. The parents set examples on bad behavior, so the kids just assume that's the way to act.
David
December 8, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: PaulR
Am I being a jerk here or has anyone else noticed this?
-Paul

Don't be sorry! I've noticed it too over the years. I especially noticed it on Snowshoe's second day open this years. Seems like 9 out of every 10 people there were unruly college age snowboarders that were flying in every direction. They definitely made me a bit apprehensive and nervous. Generally I try my best to stay on the sides of slopes (out of the firing zone) and will usually never bomb over a drop that I can't see the other side of. I've also noticed that areas like Tline and Canaan Valley don't seem to have as many of these kind of folks. I'm sure Whitegrass doesn't have any wink wink
tromano
December 8, 2008
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Originally Posted By: PaulR
I was at Snowshoe this weekend (I ski there a lot, I have a condo) and I am constantly shocked at the lack of Ski/Snowboarding etiquette. I've skied out west a lot and I am shocked at the stupidity at some of these people. Just a few things I noticed...

1. Snowboarders "camping/chillin" in the middle of the trail
2. Skiers/Snowboarders resting right under a "roller"
3. Skiers/Snowboarders within your ability

I can't count how many times I saw people doing the above. To me, it would be like parking your car in the middle of the beltway...its not safe. I think resorts need to have "rules" posted like I've seen out West. I just kept thinking how much smarter/aware Westcoasters are. Am I being a jerk here or has anyone else noticed this?

Sorry for the rant in advance smile.

-Paul

This is pretty typical stuff. Go to any terrain park at any hill any where. You will see people sitting arround. Hopefully not right under the hits.

Other places where people like to park themselves are anywhere on any green run. And also at the top of any headwall and at the terminus of any lift.

I nearly skewered a 10 year old kid at alta last year who was laying belly down right under a very small lip on an off piste area. The lip was more like a large mogul than a real hit. I was about 18" from skewering him. His mom was near by and I warned her about the dangers since I was only able to see him when I was about 15 ft away. He wasn't visible from above.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
When my mother taught me to ski she taught me the responsibility code. When I taught beginners, I taught the responsibility code. I would bet that the idea of a written responsibility code isn't known to the vast majority of self or friend taught skier/boarders. I'm sure they've never read their lift ticket. How do you informed the ignorant?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
To inform the rude skiers and boarders...and in some case the completely ignorant....
Post more large signs, especially at the base of the lifts where most are waiting in line with nothing better to do than read the signs.
Post more signs on the lift towers...especially the facts that the skier being overtaken always has the right-of-way, and that you do not stop for any reason, other than a fall, at the center of a trail.
Lastly,
the resorts need to have courtsey patrollers and red jacket patrollers punch a lift ticket for a single infraction, take the ticket for two in a day, maybe max of three.
One reason Snowshoe gets the crowds is because of the trail network and terrain variation. However, many of their connecting trails are somewhat narrow, and stopping here, whether standing or sitting on one's bottom is a disaster waiting to happen.
:)The Colonel smile
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2008
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Maybe Scott should just devote permanent forums to our annual threads:
- why won't timberline open more slopes
- why won't someone build tory and/or mpc
- global warming sucks
- weather sucks but it might dump next week
- modern rider etiquette sucks
- Denis shows off his awesome trips

While I can bitch about it, I do find that the great majority of young and old people on the slopes are just great, but it only takes one to screw up your day. I think its ignorance more than anything else. Every year I advocate for the forced learning in the lift lines (captive audience) and the ski schools (captive audience). I think if the resorts really wanted to promote good etiquette they could, but they want to promote the rowdy image thinking that they are going to sell more tickets. So write letters to every resort you visit and tell them what's happening, what you like and what you don't. Seriously.

Also, I take offense to that line about "Parents won't teach their kids". You should talk to my kids about that.
b2otto2
December 8, 2008
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
My biggest grip about Snowshoe is the snow boarders that stop at crest of the hill just off the Ball Hooter lift, many just sit down in a line after they unload and there is no place for the people behind them to go. I think this problem is a lack of management on Snowshoes part. 7 Springs has a recording playing at the top of the Polar Bear Express that reminds people to clear the unloading area, this could help allot if Snowshoe would do the same thing...
rbrtlav
December 8, 2008
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
I noticed that 7 springs added that last year, and although not fully effective, I did notice a significant difference in the number of people standing or sitting in that unloading area. It would be nice if they would extend that recording to some of the other unloading areas, especially during busy weekends, as for several hours during those days every chair will be full,and people sitting in unloading areas is an accident in the making.
langleyskier
December 8, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Completely agree, 2 most dangerous things on the ski slope are certainly out of control skiers (more often than boarders because they just fall and sooner or later fill break a wrist and get off the slope!) and boarders (rarely skiers) who sit with THEIR BACK TO THE HILL!!! Why they do this is beyond me, have seen many of crashes as a result, dangerous both for sitter and skier. Seems like it is huge problem almost everywhere which is a darn shame. Was horrible here thi weekend at Tussey, only one main slope open, which was really crowded, and still borders would sit in the middle of a run... why??????... you sit for 10 mins on a lift ride up... why sit more??

Another thing I have noticed is that a lot of younger people (my age and lower) seem to have little or no care for their equipment. Multiple people (ski and snowboarders although boarders seem to be more frequent) ski off the snow onto the grass and then the gravel before the parking lot. Other instructors and I almost cried.
December 8, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Originally Posted By: langleyskier

Another thing I have noticed is that a lot of younger people (my age and lower) seem to have little or no care for their equipment. Multiple people (ski and snowboarders although boarders seem to be more frequent) ski off the snow onto the grass and then the gravel before the parking lot.

langleyskier,
This gives new meaning to the term rock skis and rock heads.
The Colonel
SeaRide
December 9, 2008
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
I ride snowboard. I don't do any of the stupid things that was mentioned here in this topic. I 'll echo what Hockeydave said, "Stupidity, ignorance, rudeness, and lack of courtesy knows no boundaries"

Kids on snowskates .. same thing.
Kids on skis .. same thing.
Kids on tubes.. same thing.
Kids at the amusement park .. same thing.
Kids on jetskis ... same thing.
Kids on ATVs ... same thing.
Kids in the mall not walking on the right .. same thing.

This is getting old for me. Blame all you want on snowboarders.

December 9, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Originally Posted By: SeaRide
I ride snowboard. I don't do any of the stupid things that was mentioned here in this topic. I 'll echo what Hockeydave said, "Stupidity, ignorance, rudeness, and lack of courtesy knows no boundaries"

Kids on snowskates .. same thing.
Kids on skis .. same thing.
Kids on tubes.. same thing.
Kids at the amusement park .. same thing.
Kids on jetskis ... same thing.
Kids on ATVs ... same thing.
Kids in the mall not walking on the right .. same thing.

This is getting old for me. Blame all you want on snowboarders.

Check all the previous posts and I'll think you will notice that rude skiers were mentioned also a number of times. SeaRide, thanks for being considerate of your fellow sliders.
The Colonel smile
BushwackerinPA
December 9, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I ski grass and thin cover all the time, it more fun and less boring than groomers. grass is fine and very slideable if it wet. Gravel I try to avoid that though.

After spending 2 seasons in utah, you learn that all skis are rock skis and the day you buy them will be the last day they are on one piece. LCC is the worst for the rocks if you skiing off trail all the time.
skier219
December 9, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I think it's especially bad in the south and mid-Atlantic where there is less of a family heritage/history (ie, parents teaching and skiing with kids) and fewer kids start skiing at an early age with lessons. It's my informal observation that there are more newbies and casual skiers on the slopes in this area (people who classify skiing and snowboarding in the same vein as skateboarding are a good example). Take a kid and immerse him/her into any sport without the proper supervision and training, and they probably have a good chance of developing bad habits, manners, and routines. Like it or not, many people do not have common sense, so if they are not trained or schooled in rules they will become a hazard on the slopes. The problem exists everywhere, but is especially bad in this area, and in particular at Snowshoe -- they cater to the casual snowsports crowd.

I don't want to get into a boarder/skier argument, but I will mention that one reason skiing at Alta was bliss last year was because there were no boarders (Alta would be a bad place for boarders anyhow, due to the many traverses). I think they really do add an additional element of unpredictability and place more constraints on a trail. I definitely noticed their presence the couple days I spent over at Snowbird right next door.

Good snowboarders are never a problem at any resort, and in fact, I enjoy watching them and being on the slopes with them. It just seems that when you take the typical southern and mid-atlantic snowsports person, they can be a 8/10 on the annoyance scale when on skis and a 9/10 when on a snowboard.
SeaRide
December 9, 2008
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel

Check all the previous posts and I'll think you will notice that rude skiers were mentioned also a number of times. SeaRide, thanks for being considerate of your fellow sliders.
The Colonel smile

There's no need for me to check and acknowledge. I already know that from my experiences back in the 70s and 80s before snowboard sport came out. Like I said it's old subject to whine about.
kennedy
December 9, 2008
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Originally Posted By: pagamony
Maybe Scott should just devote permanent forums to our annual threads:
- why won't timberline open more slopes
- why won't someone build tory and/or mpc
- global warming sucks
- weather sucks but it might dump next week
- modern rider etiquette sucks
- Denis shows off his awesome trips

I agree, I've seen this topic every year I've been on this board. This exact same discussion year after year after year. It comes down to this. People are stupid. They will do stupid infuriating things. Put enough of them in the same place and they tend to copy each other. Given that people do stupid things either don't go riding or just get on with it, face the fact that you will see some dumb stuff and get on with your day.
b2otto2
December 9, 2008
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
Originally Posted By: langleyskier
Another thing I have noticed is that a lot of younger people (my age and lower) seem to have little or no care for their equipment. Multiple people (ski and snowboarders although boarders seem to be more frequent) ski off the snow onto the grass and then the gravel before the parking lot. Other instructors and I almost cried.

I have seen more more stupidity at Snowshoe than I have at any other resort I have been to. Once when night skiing at Silver Creek and waiting for the bus back to Snowshoe, I seen a teenage girl ski right up to the bus and hop out of her skis and jump on the bus leaving her skis right in the parking lot. And I have seen skiers try to ski across the road to the Western Territory countless times, glad someone has more money than me, because I couldn't afford to pay for the damaged and lost equipment. I just wonder what excuses are used at the rentals place when they return them.
snowslider
December 10, 2008
Member since 06/21/2004 🔗
42 posts
If noone takes a lesson, and the friends the ski with never learned the responsibility code. then chances are they only learn it when they have a friend to teach it, or they learn it the hard way.

How may of us have tried to teach the code in a nice way when on the hill? Do each of us who claim to know and follow the code take any responsibility in teaching it to the new breed?

If the new kids arent taking lessons, how else will they learn.

Allow me to make a few suggestions.

"hey guys, when you get off the lift try and move aside so others getting off the lift have a place to go"

"I dont think you realize that you are blocking the slope here"

"You did almost run into me, maybe you should look up the hill before you head down" or "when the trails merge together be sure and make sure noone else is coming into the same trail"

"if you fall after hitting the jump get out of the way soon as you can because someone may come right behind you and not know you are there"

Complaining is what I hear.
It is the first step toward change, but lets move forward.

how much responsibility should the resort take?
I agree with teh idea of posting the code in more places... but one rule at a time. lift towers are a great location.
Bumps
December 10, 2008
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
How can you forget helmet or no helmet??!! crazy grin

I agree with whoever said they think it more noticeable here because there is a large amount of newbees. I think the ratio is always much higher in the Mid Atlantic and the smaller resorts don't help. And as always it comes down to education. At Smuggs they have he skier code on the ski lift poles. And those that have been there know you have plenty of time to read them. grin
bawalker
December 10, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Alot of the code is common sense and for most of us, it is ingrained into us. Such as someone camping in the middle of a trail or under a bump. I usually slide up beside them or behind them and stop standing up with arms outstretched so people behind me go around. Thus I can check to make sure they are alright or not injured and remind them that there are others who may not see them and CAUSE major injury. Everything seems to go smoothly with most being thankful that I stopped to do that.
GGNagy
December 11, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
The top of Angel Drop at Whitetail can also be a real congestion point for sitters of the one AND two plank stripe. I'm allways happier when there are other slope options at the top of the HSQ. Seven Springs has a good idea, but I can think of an even more effective way to clear out the congestion. "Neil Diamonds Greatest Hits" on repeat. Getting the full lyrics to "Song Sung Blue" stuck in your head would be proper punishment for blocking the top of a lift or a slope!
kwillg6
December 11, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Originally Posted By: GGNagy
"Neil Diamonds Greatest Hits" on repeat. Getting the full lyrics to "Song Sung Blue" stuck in your head would be proper punishment for blocking the top of a lift or a slope!

I feel the pain after just reading this. sick sick sick
Steve
December 11, 2008
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Originally Posted By: GGNagy
"Neil Diamonds Greatest Hits" on repeat. Getting the full lyrics to "Song Sung Blue" stuck in your head would be proper punishment for blocking the top of a lift or a slope!

I vote for Celine Dion. You can't hear "My heart will go on" more than once without your gag reflex kicking in.

Steve
Bumps
December 11, 2008
538 posts
We just need to put this judge in place to dish out punishment. shocked

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=104411
chuckie
December 12, 2008
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
The problems that most are complaining about here are issues of "edumacation". That is to say that whoever trained these grinks and groinks failed to emphasize to them some of the most important aspects of being on the hill.

Yeah it's great to learn edge control, but you should spend an equal amount of time learning what NOT to do on the hill. No one should leave the bunny hill before they clearly demonstrate an understanding of what NOT to do. That basic stuff like "parking" right as they get off the lift is particularly WRONG. Face it about the green runs, there will be beginners laid out like penguins all over the place. Avoid the greens if you don't want to deal with it. We don't live in Tahoe, people just don't have the experience here. It does make me shake my head when I see a completely out of control skier/boarder on a run where they do NOT belong. Honestly though it's usually harder on them. Maybe the ski patrol should be flagging these guys? That's a big responsibility.

But seriously, what's the problem if I board ALL THE WAY out to the parking lot and to my car? Why are we whining about how I mistreat my rock board? I'd ride it all the way down 70 to get home if I could. wink

Posting the "code" in more places isn't going to fix things. People never read it anyway.

chuckie

Originally Posted By: snowslider
If noone takes a lesson, and the friends the ski with never learned the responsibility code. then chances are they only learn it when they have a friend to teach it, or they learn it the hard way.

How may of us have tried to teach the code in a nice way when on the hill? Do each of us who claim to know and follow the code take any responsibility in teaching it to the new breed?

If the new kids arent taking lessons, how else will they learn.

Allow me to make a few suggestions.

"hey guys, when you get off the lift try and move aside so others getting off the lift have a place to go"

"I dont think you realize that you are blocking the slope here"

"You did almost run into me, maybe you should look up the hill before you head down" or "when the trails merge together be sure and make sure noone else is coming into the same trail"

"if you fall after hitting the jump get out of the way soon as you can because someone may come right behind you and not know you are there"

Complaining is what I hear.
It is the first step toward change, but lets move forward.

how much responsibility should the resort take?
I agree with teh idea of posting the code in more places... but one rule at a time. lift towers are a great location.
RodSmith
December 12, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Why do other people crowd the slopes when I want to ski!?

Actually the crowding at the loading area bothers me more than the crowding on the off ramp or on the slopes.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 12, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Originally Posted By: Bumps
We just need to put this judge in place to dish out punishment. shocked

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=104411

Oh Gross! I don't even think they make Taliban prisoners listen to Barry Manilow in Guantanamo... That would be reason enough for a nervous breakdown... Cruel and unusual punishment
Bumps
December 12, 2008
538 posts
Originally Posted By: lbotta

Oh Gross! I don't even think they make Taliban prisoners listen to Barry Manilow in Guantanamo... That would be reason enough for a nervous breakdown... Cruel and unusual punishment

Oh come on, doesn't everyone have Mandy on their IPOD??! (Was source of much ribbing at recent BBQ)
bawalker
December 12, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
No but I have the Jackson 5 on mine!!
Clay
December 13, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I know Lebron James said that he has Manilow on his iPod. Look what it's done for him....
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 13, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Originally Posted By: RodSmith
Why do other people crowd the slopes when I want to ski!?

Actually the crowding at the loading area bothers me more than the crowding on the off ramp or on the slopes.

True words telerod.
snowslider
December 13, 2008
Member since 06/21/2004 🔗
42 posts
Originally Posted By: bawalker
No but I have the Jackson 5 on mine!!

Ditto, but just one song.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?