17 posts
10 users
4k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 4, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Got me where I live.

Ski shops don't interest me much any more. It has been years. The fancy clothes, high priced skis, alpine, over the top. I don't need that stuff and it doesn't interest me any more.

Today I stopped into my favorite shop that has been my sole source of alpine stuff for many many years, albeit I haven't bought any alpine stuff for >5 yrs. I was only there to pick up my favorite backcountry skis, which hadn't seen a file for 3 years.
http://www.skicenter.com/web/about.asp?s_id=0
Then I went upstairs to talk with Brian who grew up in VT and coaches racing. He is a good guy and a good skier who can do a convincing imitation of a curmudgeon, if you let him. He was fitting boots for someone. I waited. Then it happened; they got me where I live. Adrian came over and silently handed me a ski mounted with the new NTN binding and a Scarpa NTN boot. Holy !ihS! I didn't expect to see one of these things in the flesh for a couple of years, let alone be allowed to fondle one in the shop. I tried it on, dropped a knee, tried the flex. Very smooth. Nice. And absolute torsional rigidity. What am I going to do now? I have two pairs of Hammerheads, a pair of Switchbacks, 3 pairs of 75 mm tele boots. When I got into this game the best and most expensive binding you could buy had 3 pins and cost $35. What happened?

I finally took it off and gave it back, then walked to the other side of the shop. Something else caught my eye and began to sing. It was "The Thug" a fat ski with a 120 mm waist. Whoa!!!!!

Where do I go from here?
fishnski
December 4, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
You deserve the new Tech stuff!..Get Got & then Sell some of your Older stuff to one of us here at DCSKI that want to try to follow in your Tracks!
Clay
December 5, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I love those guys. The got me when Brian made custom insoles for my boots. I always go up there when I need new equipment or just want to dream.
kwillg6
December 5, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I haven't drunk their kool-aid....yet. I can see the time a comming when I do and what then? I can see it now. Blood shot eyes, shaking hands, that zombie look as I lay down the plastic to buy the latest teckno gear made. I try to avoid places like that knowing all too well that my addiction to snow toys is way too strong to ignore. smirk
It's Brian, you say? smile
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
What size are your old boots and what are you asking for them?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 5, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
PINHEAD CHRISTMAS OR RETIREMENT GIFT: NTN
DOES THIS MAKE THE TERM PINHEAD DEAD?
skier219
December 5, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Denis, if I was about to retire in a couple weeks, I would *definitely* treat myself to some shiny new gear, *especially* if I didn't need it. Face it, you're already sucked in (I can tell by the writing, you see this is a shared sickness that is easy to spot).

Since you're Alta-bound later in the season, I think a 92-97mm waisted ski would suit you very nicely, and it will still be narrow enough to be versatile.
teleman
December 5, 2008
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
Be careful before you drop coin on this years Scarpa NTN boots!

Possible problems

http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=50530&highlight=
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Denis,
You have already bought season passes at multiple resorts, including Alta for March (I believe). If you can afford the new gear, get it. Induldge. You deserve, and just think about carving up the powder in Utah with those wide boys.
The Colonel smile
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2008
2,337 posts
Actually I am not in the market for new gear right now. I was having a bit of fun with that post although there WAS lust in my heart. I like my Hammerheads and Switchbacks and I have a pair of Volkl Explosivs (95mm waist) mounted with Hammerheads. I am going to wait at least 1 more year for the bugs in the NTN system to shake out.
comprex
December 8, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

How do you like the Voiles?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2008
2,337 posts
The Switchback binding? I love it. The first time I used it to go any real distance was on the big Nov. 22 powder day at Whitegrass. I can calibrate my fatigue at various familiar points enroute to the National Nordic from the WG lodge. After passing about 3 checkpoints, still not feeling tired, I figured it out. Not fighting the cable tension on every stride adds up over time.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Dennis,
When you go to Alta are you going to slide all Nordic or carry a pair of Alpine skis with you?
The Colonel smile
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 9, 2008
2,337 posts
I will be bringing an alpine setup as well as heavy tele, light (backcountry) tele and XC. I plan to stay at least a couple of weeks at a time and will drive my Outback with a Thule box.
skier219
December 9, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Have you made that drive before? What's it like?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 9, 2008
2,337 posts
Not in one piece and not quite all of it. I plan to go as fast or as slow as I want and make some stops. My son and daughter in law live in Chicago so I'll stop for a couple days there. I also like road trips and roadside America, glimpses into the culture of small rural places. I have a whim to ski Mad River Ohio just to say I did it. Besides who can sit behind a wheel for 8 hrs. a day for 4-5 days. One needs to get out, stretch, do some things, not be a slug on your backside.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
When it comes to ski bumming, 60 is the new 20.

You should do a blog on your trip or post here when you can, preferably with lots of pictures and video. Be like Scott and travel with a cargo of equal parts electronics/computers and ski gear. smile

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?