13 posts
10 users
4k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,345 posts
Yesterday at Whitegrass, WV.

I had skied on Thurs and it was good. About 8" of light powder had fallen and I skipped work to ski it. In late PM flurries turned to a full on snowing sideways blizzard. I had to go back to work on Fri. but Sat. was beginning to look like a good idea. I loaded the car and drove out to WV on Fri. night after work, stayed at the Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge and started up the Whitegrass open slope a bit after 9 on Sat. It looked very promising. The WG lodge was jammed. Word must have gotten out. (At the end of the day there were well over 100 cars in the parking lot.) There were no tracks in front of me as I neared Round Top. But, back in the lodge the young guns must have spotted me and said, "he's headed for the National Nordic Reserve for first tracks, let's catch him." Well, I am old and slow; 20 skiers must have passed me by the time I reached Bald Knob. No matter; I know how to farm a slope even if it's tracked. It was deep, let's say at least 20" at the 4000 ft. level. It was a slow stately floaty aim and go kind of run. Speed control was not a problem, keeping speed was. I did one run on Bald Knob and headed for the most distant part of the layout, Weiss Knob. The north facing slope was perfect. Most of the powder stampede had not gone that far. There were 3 sets of tracks ahead of me. After a couple of runs and still feeling strong, I reluctantly decided that the better part of valor was to start the long trip home before my legs turned to mush. I got back at 3, totally wasted, totally happy, had a late lunch and started the long drive home. What a day! smile Day 3. What a start to the season.
SCWVA
November 24, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Very nice Denis, glad you made it out. I was looking for you on Friday. I too was surprised with the depth of the snow at 4000'. How long of a trek is it from Round Top to Bald Knob? I started out towards Bald Knob on Friday, but turned around not knowing how far it was (Didn't look very far on the map, but I didn't want to get out there and bonk). We need to hook so that you can give me a pointers on how to do tele turns.

If we get more snow tonite & Tuesday, I may head to WG on Wednesday am.
camp
November 24, 2008
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
It's not very far to Bald from Roundtop. A semi-stiff climb through the woods, then a gradual traverse out.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2008
2,345 posts
I hope that WG dodges the bullet today. If so it should be good all week. If not there will be a rain crust on all that nice snow. It is supposed to snow a bit on Tues and Wed. New snow on top of wet snow or rain crust can soften the crust considerably. We'll see. I am heading for Boston for Thanksgiving to be with family. We have a tradition of skinning up Mt. Wachusett early on Thanksgiving morning. Often that is my first ski day of the season. This year it will be #4; first time that has happened.

As to meeting at WG. You can always send me a PM, but probably the best way is to just ask for me whenever you go there. Everybody knows me. I'd be happy to meet for some turns.
David
November 24, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Awesome report Denis!! I can't wait to make it up there...
skier219
November 24, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Way to go Denis!
langleyskier
November 24, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
great report! very jealous! actually a bit of rain would not really be a bad thing as long as there was some solid snow after that. If the base got wet then froze, it would provide a great base to prevent skis from riding on the grass and last much longer once a thaw does come (hopefully not until april!).
David
November 24, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: Denis
I hope that WG dodges the bullet today.

It is 33, and by looking at the web cam it appears to be raining. Let's hope it doesn't stay rain for long!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2008
2,345 posts
Looking good,
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=WVZ047&warncounty=WVC083&firewxzone=WVZ047&local_place1=Dryfork+WV&product1=Short+Term+Forecast

"WHILE SNOW WILL LIKELY BEGIN TO ACCUMULATE TONIGHT AND THEN
CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT...THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL OCCUR FROM
TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 8 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE HIGHER
ELEVATIONS...WITH LESSOR AMOUNTS ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE
WATCH AREA."

Have fun with it. I'll be up north, will return for Chip's Jack Frost weekend.
telemarketer
November 26, 2008
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
10 posts
Hey Denis, it was really nice to meet you on Saturday out at WG. I even caught a pic of you coming down Weiss....and looking really good I might add! Hope to see you out there again soon!

crunchy
November 26, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
hey thats a semi-secret spot unless you are a 'grasser... no references besides pictures! smile lookin' good tho denis! great little spot for doing laps too. we got to it friday. snow was almost too deep for the pitch tho it seemed, but still sweet. they are putting a little shelter out that way soon too which will be neat!
comprex
November 26, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: crunchy
hey thats a semi-secret spot

It is???
jimmy
November 26, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
was