Whitegrass Route Suggestions
16 posts
7 users
3k+ views
appskiah
November 20, 2008
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
I'm heading to Whitegrass for the first time this Saturday. Does anyone have any ascent/descent recommendations? Any good combos for multiple descents? I'm an advanced alpine skier, but a beginner free heeler. I've tele'ed 3 times at Whitetail and XC'ed a number of times growing up. I'm primarily looking for descent suggestions, since I imagine 3 Mile Trail is the easiest way up. I prefer to stick to fall line skiing on the way down.

Certainly not asking for anyone to divulge their special stashes, but would like to see some discussion on specific marked trails. I don't recall much talk about the details of Whitegrass' terrain, though I haven't bothered to search the archives.

Thanks for any insight!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 20, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
It's a fair question. The fair answer is to go to Whitegrass and ask. It is an unwritten rule of backcountry skiers that special stashes are not disclosed on a public forum like the internet/web. However, as a Whitegrass regular and backcountry skier in other places (VT, NH, CA, CO, OR) I can vouch for the friendliness of bc skiers. In a face to face meeting all are generous in spirit and more than willing to show someone the goods. You could start this weekend. It's going to be good.
crunchy
November 21, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
tons of lines down through the woods and glades! tons of stuff not marked on the map, but marked on the mountain. ill ski with you as im not that great of a tele skier either. headin' over there now to practice tho.. storm rider condish' right now..tommorrow should be awesome.
Abe
November 21, 2008
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts

Wow! It's really coming down out there. I love the Dolly Sods Webcam!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2008
2,337 posts
Thanks, Abe. I discovered a few minutes ago that my employer has blocked this site. No idea why a US Forest Service site should be blocked. I also work for the federal gov't.

So, your post is much appreciated.
Abe
November 21, 2008
366 posts
I think the site might just be having trouble this morning, I was able to access it earlier and now I get a message that says "access denied"
appskiah
November 21, 2008
88 posts
Originally Posted By: Denis
It is an unwritten rule of backcountry skiers that special stashes are not disclosed on a public forum like the internet/web.

I'm aware of that. I was asking for suggestions of marked trails only.

Also, I'm on a federal network, and the cam was blocked this morning. But its fine now. Google was blocked on our network earlier this week, so you never know!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2008
2,337 posts
It really depends on up to date knowledge. I always try to get some input from the gang in the base lodge. For example wind is a big factor, both in the skiing and the ease/comfort factor in ascending. I seldom take 3 mile, it's too slow. I often go up Barton's Bend, cross the open slope at midway and then Double Trouble to the top of Roundtop. When the wind is blowing hard on a cold day crossing the meadow at the bottom of Barton's can be miserable. Then I'll go up on climber's right of the open slope using the woods for wind shelter and since they are a bit less steep than the slope, then Double Trouble. Yesterday there was a really nasty wind crust on the skier's right of upper Springer and it was not fun making turns there. You get the idea. The lower open slope is an excellent place to work on your tele turns and with new powder it is a lot of fun. I'd start there. Lots of promising nearby spots are easily seen.

I still don't know all of WG and I've been going there for years.
Abe
November 22, 2008
366 posts
Here are some pics from my day over at Whitegrass. They were all taken near or at Bald Knob. I would say there was between 15-20" of soft powdery snow up there. It was quite windy in the morning but by lunchtime the wind was dying down somewhat and the sun was starting to come out.

This is my favorite pic:

This pic it at Bald Knob looking down at Canaan Valley Ski Resort - they had a few guns running but was surprised they weren't making more snow.
fishnski
November 22, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Abe...For ABLE!!..How did you get up to the top?..Does Canaan still sell one way lift rides trips to the top?
Abe
November 22, 2008
366 posts
It's simple... you SKI to the top smile haha... I was on cross-country skis so its relatively easy going. I think it took us like 1.5 hours to get to Bald Knob from the White Grass lodge and I'm sure it could be done a lot quicker than that.

To answer your question, Canaan does still sell one-time use lift tickets for like $5 I think (but they weren't open today).
David
November 22, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
Abe...For ABLE!!..How did you get up to the top?..Does Canaan still sell one way lift rides trips to the top?

There was a guy in the Valley giving helicopter rides. Didn't you see him?? (sorry, I had too).

Awesome pics Abe. Looks like some fantastic skiing was to be had at Whitegrass. All these Whitegrass pics are getting me more and more anxious to free my heel.... It won't be long now!! smile smile smile
fishnski
November 22, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Funny Funny Ha HA!...You Muddah!...Seriously though,I'm worried that the Case of beer I'll have in my Backpack will slow my trip up & I was just trying to figure out an easier way up to the Deep stuff...I'll be marking my way with a yellow marker so I should find my way back down...
SCWVA
November 23, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Abe,

I also spent Friday at WG. It was my first time on tele skis. What a blast. Climbing came easily, but my tele skiing needs a lot of work.

After skiing at WG, I hiked to the top Tline and did a run with my fatty alpine skis through some very nice powder. The snow was unbelievable and its not even December yet.

I'll try and post a TR with some pictures later.

appskiah
November 23, 2008
88 posts
abe, scwva - we must have all crossed paths at WG at some point Saturday. We have similar pics. It was a beautiful day up in CV. I wandered around, not know where I was going half the time. But it was still fun.

pano of weis and baldy knob
crunchy
November 24, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: appskiah
I wandered around, not know where I was going half the time. But it was still fun.

yeah baby, this is what its all about. you are onto something, don't stop now! smile

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?