SpringsRegular
November 18, 2008
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
langleyskier
November 18, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
im wondering if they will blow on the NF slope as well? Would be great if they could get some real vertical open instead of the 400 ft on the front face.
RobertW
November 18, 2008
199 posts
A warm/rainy stretch has crept into the long range forecast for the holiday period (Nov. 26-29). Their snowmaking effort looks half-hearted at best (Wagner only). Hope I'm wrong.
SpringsRegular
November 18, 2008
153 posts
Today Mostly cloudy with scattered snow showers. Additonal accum 2 -3 inches. High 28.
Tonight Evening flurries then partial clearing. Low 19.
Wednesday A mix of clouds and sun. High near 30.
Thursday Mostly cloudy with late day snow showers. Low 25. High 34

Extended Forecast
Friday Mostly cloudy and cold with snow showers. Low 22. High 29.
Saturday Mostly cloudy and cold with snow showers. Low 19. High 29.
Sunday Partly sunny. Low 17. High 36.
Monday Mostly cloudy with a few snow showers. Low 24. High 40.

As an FYI they blow on Wagner first as it takes the most air. They will open it up. I have it on good authority that I probably have to work this weekend.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
langleyskier
November 18, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Robert,

Please dont look too much into the accuweather forecast (im pretty sure thats what your referring to). Currently there is absolutely no.. and i mean absolutely nothing.. in terms of consistence in the longer range models (past 5 days). I looked at their forecast and am actually really puzzled by their output because for the holiday the major WX models show absolutely nothing today (over the past few days it has gone from snowstorm-rainstorm-nothing-snwostorm-nothing, very inconsistent). More likely than not we will get some large WX system near the end of this pattern either in the forem of rain or snow but as of now its anyone's guess when/where/Ptype.
langleyskier
November 18, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Originally Posted By: SpringsRegular
I have it on good authority that I probably have to work this weekend.

shocked shocked grin
Taylormatt
November 18, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
So, Sam....skinny skis or skinnier skis this weekend?
RobertW
November 18, 2008
199 posts
Like I said, I am glad to hear I am wrong. cool smile
SpringsRegular
November 19, 2008
153 posts
Originally Posted By: Taylormatt
So, Sam....skinny skis or skinnier skis this weekend?

I have to drop these off to get them mounted:

Specifications

Dimensions: 154/139/151mm

Category: High performance backcountry jib/bottomless pow

Radius: 22.9m @189

Running Length: 1120mm

Construction: Torsion Box Sidewall

Core: High density StabiliteTM wood

Flex: Medium Soft - Medium

Sizes: 189

Weight: 5.4kg/pair
BushwackerinPA
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
honestly Mavens for springs....come on I even showed you that Bros werent the way to go at snowbird. what makes you think mavens are the way to go for springs?
SpringsRegular
November 19, 2008
153 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA
honestly Mavens for springs....come on I even showed you that Bros werent the way to go at snowbird. what makes you think mavens are the way to go for springs?

Josh Josh Josh....turn up you sarcasm meter. I may pull them out some days. Did you see the reviews of them on slush? The Bro's are my everyday boards at the springs. I love them for just about anything but deep powder. The camber is just way too much. The only thing you showed me at Snowbird is that I was seriously out of shape. When I come out this year perhaps I will do better. You still have that place at the bottom of the canyon? I may be looking for couch space.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Hey, B-wack, I'm glad to see you still come around to play with your old mid-Atlantic buddies. If you and Garrett are in the neighborhood next month give a shout out and tell us when and where.
BushwackerinPA
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
you missed my tongue sticking out. :P I think I may be alot closer to you this year in fact my chance of working at springs is about 50 percent right now...
SpringsRegular
November 19, 2008
153 posts
Let me know. I will be up all winter. No more Snowbird?
November 19, 2008
2,038 posts
The noon news on Pittsburgh WTAE reported that the Springs will open for skiing this Friday. I guess its official. I'm could be there but the Valley's offer of free skiing is good for me. I'll be at the Springs often enough this year.I hope the Buncher folks accept the challenge and open too.

Pittsburgh station KDKA reported 8" of snow over night for Laurel Summit.(no specific location) No reason why all the big mid-Atlantic areas can't be open this weekend, more snow forecast for Thursday and Friday.

Wow, ski season is about to get real. laugh
November 19, 2008
2,038 posts
B-wack, wow, I feel for you but after a few runs at the Springs you will realize how over-hyped the 'Bird really is. crazy
langleyskier
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
not to be a pessimist, but springs opening 2 slopes on the front face with 400' of skiing is nice but I still want to see snowmaking on the NF slope, i want some real skiing, the main face just does not do it for me.
SpringsRegular
November 19, 2008
153 posts
Snowmaking goes from left to right on the front face and they then shift to the back. Matt, did you hear if they got all the compressors in yet?
Taylormatt
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I know nothing Sam, I no longer work for 7S.
November 19, 2008
2,038 posts
Matt, did you run off to the Valley too??
Taylormatt
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Yep.
hockeydave
November 19, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Not wanting to be nebby (only folks from WPA know that word) but I will, any reason(s) for the switch?
SpringsRegular
November 19, 2008
153 posts
Originally Posted By: hockeydave
Not wanting to be nebby (only folks from WPA know that word) but I will, any reason(s) for the switch?

Ummmm...I would guess it was the $$$$$$$
BushwackerinPA
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Yep.

so I am torn here. I am most likely stuck here for this winter.

Iwan Fuchs was my first boss and we got along great at hidden valley.

Bob Kuban is a great guy though and I have never seen someone though 360s in jeans like him. but hidden valley was backwards place that was and probably still is no fun allowed.

assuming they would take someone(me) on so late.

Matt you working full time or part time?
Taylormatt
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Nah, when you do this on the weekends, you don't do it for the money...b/c there isn't any.

The new program at HV looks very promising. I really believe it will be the best school in the Mid-Atlantic, possibly in the East in a few years and I want to be a part of that. Years ago under Lars Skyling, 7S was known all over the US as a top notch, well respected school and that has long since slipped away.

That's one reason, the other reason I choose not to post publicly on this board. I would certainly return to 7S someday, but certain people must be removed from there before I would consider it. You shouldn't have to deal with stress and BS in a part time job that you don't do for the money. It kills the passion.
Taylormatt
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I will say this, I know Bob very well. His philosophy is if you can't have fun doing this job, then why bother.

Top notch, Professional lessons to the guests come first, but fun has to be a part of the day to day routine in a ski school. He's in tune with his employees and he's spent plenty of time in the trenches teaching. I taught next to him for years.

I don't know what HV was like in the past, but I'm sure the new Wintersports U will not even remotely resemble the old HV ski school.
November 19, 2008
2,038 posts
Matt, now you know the real reasons I'm no longer a part time instructor. I hope the Valley appreciates having someone with your experience and certification. Good luck. Say hey to all the old Laurel diaspora for me.
BushwackerinPA
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I am not sure if he would remember me, but I skied with him a couple times at laurel and Hidden Valley. very fun to ski with. Never worked with him though.

So are they going to finally not scream at me for skiing trees? The old regime was so mickey mouse all the time that nothing happen to me for constantly 'breaking' rules. the fact that they groom EVERYTHING there ALL THE TIME. pretty much forced me into the off limit woods. Its really funny when they get natural snow to watch them not open up till everything is packed down. God forbid someone actually have fun.

At least scanlin is long gone so thats a huge plus.
Leo
November 19, 2008
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
They used to let bumps form at HV. Nose Dive (new name these days) under the North Summit quad used to be a great bump run...probably 12-15 years ago...

Bob is a great guy. He was at HV when I taught there -- back when the Cabe family did an excellent job with the ski school. You really couldn't clinic with better people than Eric and Bob as far as having fun and learning something.

Bushwhacker -- I think HV is definitely still going for the family resort thing, BUT...the new terrain parks that they threw together last year on short notice were evidence that they are serious about having a real skiing experience as well. The new snow guns also produce great man made snow, which is a huge plus. My biggest fear for you is that a long period of time skiing out West is going to make anything back here seem a little boring...although it's good to know that the bar is never more than 30 seconds away when you are on a slope.
Taylormatt
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Well, at 7S, you sign the employee manual that says you can not ski in any of the the back side glades, you can not ski under Gunnar lift and you can not ski in the Spot/Superpipe. You aren't allowed to ski anywhere but the groomed there. You can't even go in the baby parks until you've attended a "clinic" conducted by some 70 year old level 3 that can't even get his skis off the ground, let alone 50/50 a box. People have been "let go" for breaking that contract.

Terrain parks are basically off limits, but if you work there in the Summer you can ride the Gravity Park all day long. Makes no sense.
BushwackerinPA
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
wow dude that does suck. We had very similar rules at snowbird. But L3 or in house L3s(like me) were allowed to ski anywhere on the mountain in uniform as long as it was open.

I assume at springs your talking about in uniform right? because outside of uniform that would be quite possibly the worst rule at a resort ever.

I tend to not like to drink so the bar being close isnt for me. Id rather ski horrid conditions than drink. I just have never liked 'artifical limits' ie closed runs because they arent groomed.
BushwackerinPA
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
also matt it does make sense because at every ski area there are those embarrassing instructors who cant REALLY ski. heck some even have silver and gold pins.
Taylormatt
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
It is in uniform only. You know why I rarely got in the park last year? Because I never had time to go back down to my locker and change to go make a few runs. I was stacked with lessons from 9am until I left. I never once saw the glades on the back last year. By the time I got a day to free ski in late March, the snow was gone.
langleyskier
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
haha, thats kinda funny ow strict they are. At tussey they could not care less. I have gone off jumps during lessons in the PSU ski class I teach (3 hrs long for 6 weeks in a row, same students) just because they want to see me do it!
SpringsRegular
November 20, 2008
153 posts
It is the insurance issue. You get hurt on the job they cover you. You get hurt on the job doing something that you are not permitted to do, you are on your own. I am not permitted on the mountain out of uniform. I understand and I deal with it. That said I was never much of a park rat anyway.
Taylormatt
November 20, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Regardless...the season opens tomorrow, November 21st. How cool is that? Last time I can remember Western PA opening this early was 1991. I'm skiing on Saturday and Sunday.
November 20, 2008
2,038 posts
Josh and tromano will be there Sunday, jimmy and comprex are threatening to be there also. I dunno, I guess I'm too poor and too jaded to pay for the meager offerings but it sure is tempting to get together with a crowd and goof on Wagner. I got cell phone # so I'll call if I make it.

Matt, free lessons at the Valley to go with the free lift tickets. If I show up for a group lesson what chance is there that I'll get you??
Taylormatt
November 20, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Lol, I don't know. I don't even know how many are on staff yet. I did hear there's a group of 160 coming next Saturday, so I'm guessing my first day will be busy smile

How sad is it that Tim lives in UT and has to come back here to make turns in November? <EG> Redemption! I'll keep an eye out for them on Sunday.
scootertig
November 20, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Originally Posted By: Laurel Hill Crazie
Josh and tromano will be there Sunday, jimmy and comprex are threatening to be there also. I dunno, I guess I'm too poor and too jaded to pay for the meager offerings but it sure is tempting to get together with a crowd and goof on Wagner. I got cell phone # so I'll call if I make it.

If this is turning into roll call, I think my girlfriend and I will be there on Saturday. She (and I, to a lesser degree) is a little apprehensive about trying to ski with anyone else, especially on our first time out, since we may not be "up to snuff," so to speak. On the other hand, I can guarantee without a doubt that I can go beer for beer with anyone at the Foggy Goggle!

As long as I'm not driving, that is...

aaron
BushwackerinPA
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Lol, I don't know. I don't even know how many are on staff yet. I did hear there's a group of 160 coming next Saturday, so I'm guessing my first day will be busy smile

How sad is it that Tim lives in UT and has to come back here to make turns in November? <EG> Redemption! I'll keep an eye out for them on Sunday.

I tried to call Bob a couple times today to ask how I would go about working at Hidden Valley. If you have his private cell phone and you dont think he would mind a call tomorrow a PM would be great appreciated.

assuming my skis and boots make it in one piece to springs on sunday I will be there.

412-334-9121

(mods I am ok with my cell phone being up right now Ill edit it out later)

also scootertig meet up if only for a run or 2. You cant be much worse than tromano wink

who is actually a damn good skier.
Taylormatt
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I'll be talking to him today and find out what he wants to do.

I will tell you, if you are looking to do this FT and need the money, your best bet is 7S.

HV is rebuilding from the ground up and there is no guarantee as to lesson counts this year. It may take off faster than expected and be busy though.
SpringsRegular
November 21, 2008
153 posts
What the hell is Tim doing here and not in Utah? Is there something wrong with Utah that no one is telling me?
Crush
November 21, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Originally Posted By: SpringsRegular
What the hell is Tim doing here and not in Utah? Is there something wrong with Utah that no one is telling me?

... nothing is wrong, it's just that if you work in any kind of profession like technology, business, etc you only make half of what you do in the east. that's why i came back - if i am going to work full time, why get nothing for it?

now on the other hand, when i don't have to work at a real job full time anymore, you can be damn sure i'll be right back there !

- i'll be @ 7s on sat -
BushwackerinPA
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
No I plan to do this pt saturday- sunday maybe some fridays.

I wouldnt try to work full time in pa.

If I work sweet.

IF i dont work I get to go skiing

its a win win whether they are slow or busy.
November 21, 2008
2,038 posts

I'm serious about taking a lesson but I would like to get an instructor that can do a better job than me. Wait a minute, even that standard is too low. blush Bob will probably give me a non-cert first timer because he likes me so. shocked

As for Tim and Josh coming back to the home turf, one jump off the cornice on Wagner will convince them that Utah is all hype and the Mid-Atlantic rules. crazy
langleyskier
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Any idea if they may open the entirety or most of the resort for skiing if there is 30" or more on the ground by next wednesday? Or at least make minimal snow on most runs and try to open more terrain? I am going to try and make it out on either tues or wed, have a 2 new pairs of skis that i really want to take for test runs, hopefully crowds will be light.
Taylormatt
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
HV doesn't open until Friday. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that 7S closes during the week and re-opens Friday.
davetkoch1
November 21, 2008
Member since 01/28/2007 🔗
1 posts
It's official, the lower North Face guns are fired up! Here's hoping for all of the Front Face+ to be open tomorrow. =D
langleyskier
November 22, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Apparently they will NOT be open from mon-thurs!!! I am so sad right now, i had a trip planned for wednesday! Now no skiing for me :-(

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.