Wisp
13 posts
7 users
3k+ views
lightguy
November 17, 2008
Member since 10/11/2005 🔗
19 posts
Webcams are down, but I hear that Wisp is making snow. They also have received some natural snow and are forecast to receive a total of 6" to 12" natural through tomorrow.
kennedy
November 17, 2008
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
That is good to hear. We are in that neck of the woods for Turkey day so I want to take advantage of it. The lack of webcam has been frustrating and the fact that my Railey cam go to is also out of commission has been a major source of concern.

Anyone have a good reason why the Springs hasn't flipped the switch?
langleyskier
November 17, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
they did last night and it was on this morning then all of a sudden off... it is fricking 24 there right now so they really need to get the ball rolling
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 17, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,989 posts
It's kind of early to start planning, but I hope to get to Wisp for their Birthday Event discount skiing on Sunday 14 Dec.
SCWVA
November 18, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I was up there last Thursday and they had blown snow on Squirrel Cage & Belly Flop. Some boarders had built a kicker on Belly Flop and were doing laps in short sleeves. After two days of rain and warm weather there was still a lot of snow left on the ground. I'll post some pictures if I get a chance.

Wisp needs to get their webcams working! mad

Here's another link for Webcams: Deep Creek Cams

Wisp's tentative opening is set for Friday, November 28, 2008.

Their website says they got 6" so far in the storm. I may hike for some turns in the am. Hope Wisp doesn't mind.
kennedy
November 18, 2008
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I emailed Wisp about the cams and got kind of a curt reply that it was being worked on and they had no time line for it being fixed. It also doesn't help that the robo cam on the roof of Railey Realty is out of whack. That's my favorite cam for viewing everything in real time. It's nice to be able to pan around and see whatever you want. It's also nice to be able to focus it on the ground and stuff and see how accumulation is coming along.
lightguy
November 19, 2008
19 posts
Web cams still down, but wisp has posted a few pics on their website. http://www.wispresort.com/wisp/calendar.aspx?mode=detail&eventId=snowmaking
Chad
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Originally Posted By: lightguy
Web cams still down, but wisp has posted a few pics on their website. http://www.wispresort.com/wisp/calendar.aspx?mode=detail&eventId=snowmaking

looks like they have updated the lift status/grooming report also.

http://www.wispresort.com/wisp/lifts-grooming.aspx

they are hitting the usual suspects (wisp trail, squirrel cage) as well as main street AND the north camp (backbone, aces, over the edge).

very nice!
David
November 19, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Chad, it won't be long and Wisp will be 100% open. It is sick how fast they can go from nothing but green grass to having the full mountain open. I guess that's what putting lots and lots of money into snowmaking will do for you.....
lightguy
November 20, 2008
19 posts
Doesn't hurt that they have decent snow on the ground and a forcast for 10 to 20" more by Tomorrow night.
kennedy
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
http://www.deepcreekhospitality.com/weather.asp?Tab=Cams&Cam=6

I think some of these cams for Wisp are up to date. If they are it looks very nice. I'll be there for opening day this year so I'm really looking forward to that. I'm in Cumberland this weekend and seriously thinking of making the trek over to 7 Springs.
langleyskier
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Their snowmaking there is unreal, definitely the best system anywhere in the east. I cant believe how much terrain they can make snow on at the same time. By next weekend the amount of open terrain in the area will be unparalleled to any other year probably ever in the Mid-A.
kennedy
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
One way or another I'm hitting it next Friday and maybe Saturday. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

Oh, BTW webcams on Wisp's site are now up and running and it all looks amazing.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?