lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 13, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Thunder the Black Lab

Down the steps from the Snowshoe Bus Depot

At Seneca Rocks

[img:center]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=79271&id=1411070530[/img]

Here's a pic of my trusty companion. Hope this comes out.
David
November 13, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Lou, I've never had any luck linking pics from facebook. I put it in my webshots.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 13, 2008
1,535 posts
Thanks, David, that's about one of the most expressive pictures of my boy. BTW, just how did you do it? I have never, ever been able to get pix on this site. It's the most cumbersome website in the net.
David
November 13, 2008
2,444 posts
I downloaded the pic and then loaded it onto webshots through my account. Then I just posted a direct link to the picture. Webshots (all picture hosting sites for that matter) give you a "direct link" to the picture. Also, it seems that when you copy the link to the photo it must have ended with a .jpg (or something similar). If it doesn't it never works here in the forum. Someone else might be able to explain it better because I'm not the greatest with computers, so it took me some time to figure out.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2008
1,535 posts
I just tried about 6 times. Never mind... somehow I can't get images imbedded here. I give up. Scott, is there a better more customer friendly way to post images?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2008
1,535 posts
UGGHHHH!!! Forget it

fishnski
November 14, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Add me to the UGGGHHHHHH!..There has got to be an easier way to post pics here. There is a girl at Work who is a Puter Whiz & tells me that this site is hard to work with.
Murphy
November 14, 2008
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Thunder looks a little like my dog, Murphy (yea, I post as my dog, have for 10 years now.).
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2008
1,535 posts
The almond eyes of a Lab are so expressive I think they know what we feel. Especially when it is time to go inside and he still wants to play in the snow. I get these "You're heartless for wanting me to stop playing" eyes... and I usually succumb.
Murphy
November 14, 2008
618 posts
We actually think Murphy's a Blue Healer/Chow mix but her head looks a little lab-like. The gray around the muzzle and the flat ears when she's happy remind me of your dog though. Here's a pic of her and Abby. Murphy's obviously the one in the back. The picture is 8 years old so she's got a little more gray now. Abby's still with us too but they're both gettin' up there in years.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
You've got that right...I have tried unsuccessfully to post photos with my post. Perhaps Scott can give us some pointers.

SCOTT- Are you out there?
Murphy
November 14, 2008
618 posts
Originally Posted By: snowsmith
You've got that right...I have tried unsuccessfully to post photos with my post. Perhaps Scott can give us some pointers.

SCOTT- Are you out there?

I just used the "enter image" button and inserted the link to my image. I'm not expert but I believe a lot of the problem is linking to pages that don't allow linking. I use webshots for hosting my images. They give you an option for linking to multiple different sized versions of your image and even give you the code to paste into your post if you don't want to use the "enter image" button.
crunchy
November 14, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts

smile
fishnski
November 14, 2008
3,530 posts
Crunchy must be hittin on Chips moonshine cuzz he is mean...MEAN I tell ya!...he wouldn't be that mean if he was hittin on some of that whitegrass!...You'll be allright soon crunch...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 14, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
slush dog (Snuffy)

I'm still stuck in 20th century, could only get link to attach, not actual photo.
Murphy
November 14, 2008
618 posts
Originally Posted By: crunchy

smile

Hey! At least I got my picture to post (didn't I). I could be like Jim and try and post a picture of a dog and end up posting a picture of an ewok instead! wink
David
November 14, 2008
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
slush dog (Snuffy)

I'm still stuck in 20th century, could only get link to attach, not actual photo.

Here ya go.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2008
1,535 posts
DCSki has gone to the dogs. Hallelujah! Wonderful pictures from All Yaw'll. Am I speaking correct Southern, Mr. Fish?
November 14, 2008
1,576 posts

I still do not understand how you entered the photo of your dog. Any instructions you can provide will be helpful. I tried to the "enter impage" and it seems that you photo would then have to be part of some web site. You can tell I'm a computer expert!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2008
1,535 posts
Actually David did it. I have never, ever, ever, been able to enter photos in this site. HELP SCOTTTTTTT!!!!!!
David
November 14, 2008
2,444 posts

I still do not understand how you entered the photo of your dog. Any instructions you can provide will be helpful. I tried to the "enter impage" and it seems that you photo would then have to be part of some web site. You can tell I'm a computer expert!

Ok, this is the quick and dirty explanation. First you have to get your picture uploaded from your computer to a website/service (ie, Webshots/Photobucket/Flikr) that will "host" your picture. Check out the links below and create an account with whichever you choose. I use Webshots and like it fairly well. I also know a lot of people who use Photobuck and like it too. I will give the instructions for Webshots since I know it best.

After you have your account created (which is 100% free) you can now upload any pictures you wish. After you have completed uploading your pictures, you can then view them, as can anyone else. Use the picture below as a reference for the next part. When you view a particular photo (ie the one you want to post into a forum), there is a box on the bottom right side of the page ( Circled in Red). At the top of the box are some tabs. These are are selecting the size of the image you want to link. I always select the 600 tab ( Green Arrow) because it seems to be big enough, but not gigantic. You then copy the link that is in middle box which says "Direct Link to Image" ( Blue Arrow). This link is a direct link to your picture. It 100% totally unique. You then get into DCSki (which I always have open on a tab) and inside of your posting form you click the image button. When it asks for a link to the image, you copy the link that you got from Webshots. You can switch back and forth repeating the process until all of the pictures you have posted are up (I think the limit is 10 per post here on DCSki).

Again, this is how I do it. There may be a better way, but this way is fool proof and works for me. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I hope I didn't leave anything out.

http://www.flickr.com/
www.webshots.com
http://photobucket.com/

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2008
1,535 posts

I DIT IT I DID IT!!!! Thanks a zillion David! I showed Thunder, he's happy and will give you a wet nose bump when he sees you.

But Gee, what a hassle!
Murphy
November 14, 2008
618 posts
Originally Posted By: lbotta
I DIT IT I DID IT!!!! Thanks a zillion David! I showed Thunder, he's happy and will give you a wet nose bump when he sees you.

But Gee, what a hassle!

Nice lookin' dog. The resemblance to Murphy isn't so strong now that I can see the whole dog. Thunder's actually handsome but Murphy's not gonna when many dog shows wink
fishnski
November 14, 2008
3,530 posts
You running for office Ibotta?...Yeh you'd make a good redneck if you tried just a little harder...pick up a bag of pork rinds & tell us a good huntin story...Your Dog treed a 600 pound black bear one day..Didnt it?!..I'm thinking that Scott is Awol..What a better time to Go Friggin Ape-DoDo with some invigorating Political Missmash?!!?...Never mind ..Bad Idea...

Yeh..Thanks David..I asked for this help on another thread..You Muddah!
David
November 14, 2008
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski

Yeh..Thanks David..I asked for this help on another thread..You Muddah!

Let me know what thread it was and I will be more than happy to copy all of that info into it. grin grin grin

I've been meaning to figure out the best way to explain (also to find some time). I guess this evening I had both an epiphany and some time. But...Hey, I'm just glad to help out. Plus, if I can get you guys posting some pictures then I will have more to look at this season. Now you guys don't have an excuse!!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2009
1,535 posts
Well, dang it... Life can slap you silly once in a while. Thunder has had what I thought was arthritis for a couple of months and we put him on several anti-inflammatory medicines. But Monday, I was petting him and felt a series of pimple-like growths deep under his right front leg. Ran to the vet and he said he didn't like it at all. Worst case, he says, is fibrosarcoma. We're doing a biopsy Friday.

As ski dogs go, they grow on you and are part of the family. I'm saddened at the prospect of losing him. He's my most loyal companion.
fishnski
February 11, 2009
3,530 posts
Researching Fibrosarcoma it says that this Cancer is most common in the mouths of Dogs.(good news?) There seems to be a bone type & a soft tissue type which I would guess to be the easiest to treat...I feel your pain Ibotta & wish Thunder & you the best.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2009
1,535 posts
Thanks for the good thoughts. We'll see how the biopsy turns out. He's got health insurance so I'm willing to go on the limb for his welfare and quality of life.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 11, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
God Bless You, Lou...and Thunder.
Hope all turns out for the best. My kids grew up with labs...first Dixie (11 years) and next Magic (13 years). I call the breed "Lapadors", incredibly smart, loyal, friendly (sometimes to a fault when younger), and loving. I know the pain of losing a Lab family member. Each lab has a unique personality. They are special.
God Bless....
The Colonel smile
February 12, 2009
1,576 posts
Good luck with Thunder. I still miss my ski dog, Spenser. But, I have a new friend, Leo, who is a great new snow dog. He a small fellow, unlike Spenser. He is half Jack Russell and half Manchester Terrior. He loves snow but is only about a foot or so tall. I got him a 'ski parka' which he wears proudly when the temperatures dip below 20.

Recently Leo, who will eat ANYTHING, ingested : a plastic bag, deer parts, deer fur. THis plug up his stomach sphincter and he couldn't poop. We had more than a few exrays done and they said he would need surgery. They described it as cutting him along his entire abdominal area, taking his stomach out, and cutting it open to remove the obstruction. Luckilly he finally threw up the plastic bag and a huge deer hair ball and resumed pooping. I thought I was going to loose another one. Hopefully, as he grows up, he gets some smarts about what not to eat.
All the best for Thunder.
kwillg6
February 12, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
. Recently Leo, who will eat ANYTHING, ingested : a plastic bag, deer parts, deer fur.

I once had an Irish Setter who would eat anything too. He would go out in the yard and graze on our azaleas, the neighbor's cow pies, and anything else that remotely smelled edible. Reminded me of a college roomate I had. sick
tgd
February 12, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Wow, this is a timely topic for me as well - unfortunately. We have 2 ski dogs - both black Labs also. Last Saturday we had to put the oldest down at 13 years - cancer. Her younger brother Rocket has also been ill since the fall. It looks like we may lose him as well this week. Good luck with Thunder Lou.

Tom
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 12, 2009
1,535 posts
Not a good year for our furry companions. Sorry to hear about your pup. Unfortunately they usually go over that magic bridge before we do. But their energy is with us always. I still miss my old Rocky, who crossed at the age of 5 from cancer also. Hope the best for Rocket!!!

And wishing the best for Thunder. Thanks for sharing!

Lou
February 12, 2009
1,576 posts
Wow, that is tough. I know how much I miss Spenser, if I lost Leo also, it would be tough to take. Our furry friends really do become part of our family. Since I don't have any kids, Leo is like my long lost son. Get well, Rocket.
tgd
February 17, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Well, we lost Rocket this weekend. The vets weren't able to completely diagnose the cause of his illness nor proscribe an effective treatment. We said goodbye on Sunday, and sent Rocket off to cloud ski with his beloved sister Zuri. We are dogless for the first time in nearly 14 years. Our home has a big hole in it right now - and it's quiet and lonely. Still, by spring we'll be noticing how much nicer the yard grows - gee, where did those holes go? and the house is sure a lot easier to keep clean. I miss those dogs. Thanks Lou and Snowsmith for your thoughts.

Tom
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 17, 2009
1,535 posts
Oh Nooooo! So sorry to hear about Rocket! I'm with you on the pain. I'm still awaiting the results of the biopsy on Thunder. My heart aches for you.

As much as dogs are companions in our daily lives, it is even more amazing to see our furry friends frolicking in the snow. The pure definition of joy. Those great memories is what we should remember.
David
February 17, 2009
2,444 posts
tgd, sorry to hear about your loss.
fishnski
February 17, 2009
3,530 posts
Sorry to hear that Tom...We waited a year After we said goodbye to our 17 year buddy & now I'm feeling the Pain of one of the most rambunctious & chewy & most energetic pup that I could imagine..cross between a pitbull & roadrunner I would guess. Her name is Tasha but I call her "Little miss Dangerous"...You joining my Club?
Clay
February 25, 2009
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
That's terrible. We lost our Dalmatian a couple of years ago and now only have the severely epileptic mixed shepherd. I don't think non dog owners understand the hole that's left in your heart when you lose a faithful companion.

I'm so sorry for your loss
jimmy
March 12, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I saw this over on epicski and thought of you.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
August 24, 2009
1,535 posts
Well... my turn came. Today I sent Thunder across the Rainbow Bridge, where there is no pain, no cancer, no anguish... I have a broken heart.

The oncologists at South Paws in Fairfax had given us six to eight months reprieve on his histiocytic cancer. Histiocytic sarcoma learns to overcome the chemo and there is no known substitute for either pets or humans. He was in complete remission until almost the limit. Seven months later, his tumor returned with a vengeance. He stopped eating and was in considerable discomfort. There was no other avenue.

I believe that heaven is a great place that is also pet friendly. I know that on the other side of the rainbow bridge, Thunder is waiting for me with a snow ball in his mouth.

So long my boy. Till later.
David
August 24, 2009
2,444 posts
Lou,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about Thunder's passing. Whether it be in humans or animals, cancer is a horrible disease. Atleast you can take comfort in the fact that he is no longer suffering. I'm really sorry for your loss.

David
Steve
August 25, 2009
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Lou,

I'm sure that losing Thunder was like losing a piece of yourself. You did the right thing to end his suffering. I hope you can find some solace in that. Please accept my sympathies on your loss.

Steve
David
September 18, 2009
2,444 posts
Well, I finally get to join the ski dog club. Meet Sampson.

He was rescued by my married 21 year old neighbors because they felt bad for him. He wasn't being fed, was very much neglected, and was in poor health. So what do my neighbors do with him? They tied him up next to their garage (as you can see from the picture), took food out to him (ALMOST daily), and didn't pay him any real attention.

I eventually took to him because I felt so bad seeing such a sweet and beautiful dog sit out in the sun day after day. I would snatch him and take him for walks almost every evening and even made it to where I was buying him food.

Then I moved 3 hours away for med school. I was happy to hear that my Dad took over immediately. So I come home a few weekends ago to visit and Sampson has moved to my house. My dad went over to the neighbors and basically annexed him. He told the neighbor that he wasn't going to let him neglect the dog anymore and had the boy sign a paper saying he was ours. The boy was happy to. No more walking out once (usually) a day to give him some water and food.

The plan is for him to hang with my parents for a few years until I can take him. Although I don't see being able to get him away from my Dad. They have gotten really close over the past 2 months or so.

I haven't seen him in the snow yet, but judging the look of him, I think he is going to be one happy puppy. smile smile

kwillg6
September 18, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Is he friendly? I think he may be a good playmate for Tollie when both are in the valley.
David
September 18, 2009
2,444 posts
Very friendly towards people. He just loves attention. He is still a little awkward around other dogs just because he hasn't been around them any. He's never been aggressive, he just sometimes doesn't know what to think of them.
fishnski
September 18, 2009
3,530 posts
I got 2 new dogs to bring up this year.....YEHHHHHHhhhhhh Your Dog looks like it likes Winter!
David
September 18, 2009
2,444 posts
Look at me. I added a P in there and it is too late to edit. His name is Samson.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?