Tribute to a snow dog
14 posts
13 users
4k+ views
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 11, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Perhaps this isn't the forum for this subject, but I just wanted to do a littler tribute to my snow dog, Spenser, who I had euthanized yesterday. Spenser was a yellow lab who loved snow. In fact, yesterday we received about an inch at Hidden Valley, an even in his decrepit condition, the snow seemed to enliven him a little. He could barely walk, refused to eat for the past 3 days and had lost about 30 pounds. Yet he mustered enough energy to rub his nose in the snow a few more times. I already had scheduled his euthanization for Monday evening, so my wife and I knew this was his last weekend with us at Hidden Valley. Thus it was a bittersweet weekend.
My best memory of Spenser was my first Thanksgiving at Hidden Valley. The day after Turkey day, we had a mini blizzard. By night time, HV had turned on the slope lighting for the snow making crews. Spenser and I romped on the slopes in the falling snow. We both came back to the condo covered with snow and relaxed by a nice fire. What a fine evening! He loved walking on the ski slopes and was particularly interested in snow boarders (go figure?).
For all of you who have a snow dog, or just a canine companion, I am sure you have some fine memories with your friend.
Today was a sad day for me. It was the first time in 13 years that I did not have to let Spenser out the door for his morning walk. And I will miss my walks on the slopes with my snow dog. Good bye Spenser!! cry
Leo
November 11, 2008
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace." ~Milan Kundera

Very sorry for your loss, snowsmith.
GRK
November 11, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Snowsmith

Very sorry for the loss of your dog. I am glad you shared the story with us.

Glenn
kwillg6
November 11, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Snowsmith, sad to hear of your loss. We too have a snowdog and call him Tollie after the author, Tolstoy, beause the first weekend that my son rescued him from the pound he brought him to the valley and it snowed and snowed. Don't know what it is about some dogs, but there are snow lovers and then there are SNOW LOVERS!!! He's now the Mrs' dog and she treats him better than me (can't blame her sometimes). Sooo...if you ever are up at t-line and see some folks walking a black Belgan Sheppard, it'll be us looking for Tollie's snow.
Bodyflight.net
November 11, 2008
Member since 02/19/2008 🔗
28 posts
I love my dogs so much too. God Speed Spenser!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 11, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
From the song Bron Y Aur Stomp by Led Zeppelin:
My, my la de la come on now it ain't too far,
Tell your friends all around the world,
Ain't no companion like a blue eyed merle.
Come on now well let me tell you,
What you're missing, missing, 'round them brick walls.
So of one thing I am sure,
It's a friendship so pure,
Angels singing all around
My dog is so fine.
Yeah, ain't but one thing to do
Spend my nat'ral life with you,
You're the finest dog I knew, so fine.
When you're old and your eyes are dim,
There ain't no old Shep gonna happen again,
We'll still go walking down country lanes,
I'll sing the same old songs,
Hear me call your name

From the song Old King by Neil Young:
I had a dog and his name was King
I told the dog about everything
Old King sure meant a lot to me
But that hound dog is history.

King went a-howlin' after deer
Wasn't scared of jumpin'
off the truck in high gear
King went a-sniffin'
and he would go
Was the best old hound dog
I ever did know.
JohnL
November 11, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Tasha and Tobby.

Snow dogs of my past.

Keep the faith.
boarderbabe
November 11, 2008
Member since 02/7/2005 🔗
33 posts
eternal light shines on our loved ones through our memories

good memories snowsmith & Spenser

may your light always shine
Roger Z
November 11, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I'm sorry to hear about your dog too, Snowsmith. I don't own a dog yet, but Sandra and I both want one and it's that day, the day you have to say goodbye that I absolutely dread. What is it about a dog that you can get so close to? Something magical, anyway.

Here's one of my favorite songs, thought you might like it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPqs6ZOLHA

And here's a video for Spense and all the snow dogs here and beyond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUL0KCIc48
fishnski
November 11, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Losing A great pet is a very hard thing to go thru...We lost our Snow/Beach dog a year ago & we are just starting to think about getting another pup. I can remember sledding down some slopes with Mocha chasing me all the way down nipping at me all the way..felt like bees stinging me but still great fun. She used to love chasing Jetskis up & down some of the beaches we would take her to...She was 17 & got Cancer...I see you had 13 good years with Spenser..Lets just hope we have that Sweet Reunion one glorious day!
wojo
November 11, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
It took 2 + years to get our second pet. It is a big loss.

"Just this side of Heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that have been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together..."

Author unknown..
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 12, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I cannot thank all of you enough. There were some wonderful sentiments express here. It is comforting to know that you understand how much I miss Spenser, a very special doggie.

To all of you...All the best for you, your family and canine friend.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 12, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Snowsmith, I'm with you. I've got a 13-yr old Black Lab who is not only my companion but in all aspects, just about my son. Seeing the difference in 2 or 3 years as he ages breaks my heart. We were at Snowshoe this past weekend and he was frolicking and making puppy angels in the snow, chasing the ball down the Skidder slope as it has been our tradition for 10 years, but later on he was pretty stiff at night. I see him slow down day by day.

He's the reason why I bought the condo at Snowshoe and the reason why I am on two condo boards. And my job change two years ago to a non-travel assignment is in great part, due to him. I want to be with him constantly in his last few years. He travels with me and I travel with him.

Dogs have a way of understanding human emotions. He probably knew it was time. And he's thinking of you on the other side of the bridge.

PS - Do you have pictures you may share on the web with Spenser? Whoi knows, we may start a new forum topic of furry best friends on the snow.
hockeydave
November 13, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Snowsmith, my condolences on your loss. They truly become part of the family.

We had to put my wife's dog down this past summer (16.5 year old Bichon). Even though that little SOB bit me 4 times (one time I even had to go to the emergency room to stop the bleeding), I cried like a baby the day we had him put down and still miss him almost 6 months later. The unconditional love dogs give us can't be matched by the conditional love most humans give us.

I know you probably don't like his political views, but Mark Levin wrote an excellent book titled "Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story Of Joy And Anguish". It's worth the read. It will make you cry, but it is also very therapeutic.

I echo Lou, any pictures???
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.