Laurel Mountain
10 posts
6 users
2k+ views
rjsherrin
October 21, 2008
Member since 09/28/2005 🔗
145 posts
Has anyone heard anything about 7 Springs finishing the deal to buy the equipment from Somerset Trust? I am wondering if they are actually interested in taking it.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 21, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
That's what I've been wondering since the big media slash 7S made when they announced their agreement to purchase. I've heard nothing for over a month and all that was public info then was the old refrain: negotiations with the DCNR are on going. I doubt that 7S would close with the bank until a lease is in hand.
rjsherrin
October 22, 2008
Member since 09/28/2005 🔗
145 posts
I am a little leary with 7 Springs. Part of me wondered if it was a trick to get Buncher Group totally out of the picture when the State was going to grant money for the resort. It was announced and all of a sudden Nutting supposedly bought it. Now the Buncher Group seems more interested in WISP, 7 Springs is worried about their resort and the recent picture of Laurel looks like it hasn't been touched. Has anyone contacted the State to see if the Grant is still out there?
hockeydave
October 23, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
http://www.dailyamerican.com/articles/2008/10/23/news/news/news041.txt

Why is it that 7S is unavailable for comment? I still hope they back out and Buncher steps up. I have very little faith that 7S's heart will be into this project.
October 23, 2008
2,038 posts
Thanks for the link. I've spent more time on the mountain hiking and x-c trail maintenance. This is the first I heard any news. Still it is news and that is encouraging.

As for the Wisp/Valley agreement, any marketing agreement to keep cost low or provide consumer incentive to keep ski dollars in this region is a good idea. I think Buncher pursued Laurel Mountain thinking the same line as Julie Donovan, "...would make us a powerhouse ski destination."

I said it before, a regional based marketing effort is a way to build skier visits. Come to the Valley, drink from our Springs, play on our Mountain, Visit the Laurel Highlands for all your outdoor needs grin grin wink
tromano
October 27, 2008
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Is wisp on the laurel highlands? I sort of though LM ended north of confluence and that wisp was actually just west of the Allegheny front.
October 28, 2008
2,038 posts
You are right about the geography. Wisp is on Negro Mountain east of Laurel Ridge. Mt. Davis, PA highest point, is also on this ridge. However Laurel Highlands is more a marketing term used to describe the entire mountainous region of PA and even Western MD. Here's a link with what little information exists about the origin of the name:

Negro Mountain
hockeydave
November 6, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
I spoke today to an inside source (who shall go nameless) that the deal is still ON for 7S to buy Laurel by year's end, revitalization work to start in the spring, and a 2009-2010 reopening.

Also told that the state is still on board with the funding... treating the needed state dollars as a short term economic stimulus and long term jobs creator for the Laurel Highlands.

Been disappointed many times before, so I expect the worst and hope for the best (after all, HOPE is now in vogue).
liketoskidad
November 6, 2008
Member since 10/19/2007 🔗
29 posts
Looking at a ski resort strictly as a business it's a Real Estate business. You have land sitting there next to the slopes. You build a condo/home on the land and you can sell or lease it at significantly higher prices that if it were not at a ski slope.

The ski slopes are there primarily to enable you to overprice the lodging you have built making margins much higher than you would make on building a home in the suburbs.

Look at the building boom going on at 7 Springs or WISP and the one coming at Hidden Valley.

Now for Laurel Mounntain because of the restrictions on the land sorrounding the slopes and the restrictions on any summer activity at that location real estate development is not an option so the ski slopes must pay for them selves. This model just doesn't work in todays business climate.

Until this issue is resolved I don't see the business justification behind anyone buying and developing Laurel Mountain.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 6, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
"Until this issue is resolved I don't see the business justification behind anyone buying and developing Laurel Mountain."
Perhaps there is more to this than is known at this time. I have seen mention on DCSki that there is some "state" obstacle to Seven Springs development of the slopes behind the new six pack chair...the so called Western area. Maybe the state will be more willing to allow this development if the Springs operates Laurel as an employment enhancement.
Or maybe there are other considerations...
The Colonel smile

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?