More Canaan Valley area available for outdoor rec
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 17, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Interesting article today in the Charleston Gazette written by Rick Steelhammer, with pix.

Canaan Valley Institute making land usable for hikers, anglers and campers
DAVIS - Since acquiring a five-square-mile tract of forest, river and wetlands just east of the town of Davis five years ago from Allegheny Energy, the nonprofit Canaan Valley Institute has done much to encourage public access.
By Rick Steelhammer
Staff writer

http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoors/200807030550
crunchy
July 17, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
I can personally attest to the fact that those trails are super sweet for mountain biking and actually built with mountainbiking in mind if you look at some of the names of the trails like "rockshox", etc. The guys at the bike shop have a big part in them and have done an unreal job with em. The lower trails on the CVI property are great for beginners and aren't too technical but are still fun and have nice features and scenery. But.... at the end of the CVI property, there are 2 long loops you can take that go onto land owned by the vandalia heritage foundation that the bike shop has an agreement with to allow biking and have a blazed course. (the expert class in the bike race had to ride that loop twice!) Its very technical mountain biking out there, but also very very unique and beautiful! The loop runs up and over one knob nicknamed "moonrocks", that you have to see to believe...
here is a sampling of what it looks like.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 17, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Pretty amazing pix crunch! Makes me want to go there right now. At least the weather will be cooler than the red warning DC weather we're having today
SCWVA
July 17, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Thats a picture of Moonrocks, which was part of the original 24hrs of Canaan race. There all sorts of different areas in CVI, there's the Death March, Brown's Saddle, and another area we used call Prehistoric land.

Lots of great riding in CVI. Must be real sweet nowadays since they don't let motorcycles or ATV's back there anymore.
tgd
July 18, 2008
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
What Crunchy's picture does not convey is that Moonrocks is actually a fairly steep and long uphill climb over those rocks gouged with deep fat-tire-eating ruts. It ain't natural. It's an old surface mine - West Virginia slick rock. Here's a pic of me and a buddy after riding to the top of those rocks for the first time last summer - oh what a feeling!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.