Watering Holes
20 posts
13 users
5k+ views
jimmy
July 13, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
So what are your favorite mid-atlantic spots for an after skiing drink or two? The Foggy Goggle at SevenSprings has always been one of my favorites but i think there's nothing better on a sunny day than a brew or two out on the deck at Arbuckles, down at the bottom of Cupp Run at Snowshoe. Nice break after we're finished at Cupp. You can watch the tangle of people slowing down, or not, to get back on the lift. I've seen some great wipeouts and collisons there. A great place to get fortified for the return to the triage on the basin side.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
July 13, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Yep, i agree....Arbuckles it is.
Now out in Utah, the bar at the Goldminer's Daughter hotel in Alta offers quite a view, especially in late afternoon when some folks are flying down the slopes to try to catch one more chair.
The Colonel
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 14, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Arbuckles indeed. Great stew also. Goes great with a beer. And you can also see the top of Lower Shays and the multitude of people screeching to a halt up there and having a nervous breakdown on the slope. I've met some really nice people outside on the tables.
JohnL
July 14, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
So what are your favorite mid-atlantic spots for an after skiing drink or two?

Jimmy's truck in the parking lot of Blue Knob. Beer selection is not the best, but the service is prompt.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
comprex
July 14, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
 Originally Posted By: JohnL
Jimmy's truck in the parking lot of Blue Knob. Beer selection is not the best, but the service is prompt.

Do you have opening dates for that?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 14, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Parking lot sounds good to me, preferably on an above zero day when the suds haven't turned to slurpees.
Actually, the deck outside the Foggy Goggle on a spring afternoon can be nice and lively.
Then there is always the George Thorogood back-up plan: I drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.
Yeah, you know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself.

BTW, though I love a beer after a day on the slopes, I'm really a lightweight drinker, so above is mostly trash talk.
jimmy
July 15, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Originally Posted By: comprex
 Originally Posted By: JohnL

Do you have opening dates for that?

Seven minutes after the lifts close. I'll admit that the back o my truck is one of my more frequent waterin holes but

CMON, other than whitetail and roundtop, there's gotta be more places than the back of my truck, arbuckels and the foggy goggle for a bit of cheer. DON'T you lurkers in virginia every STOP by the pub for an afterski refreshment???? How about the rest of PA, WUTABOUT WISP, doesn't anybody but john PJ JimK Colonell and Lou ever think about a little drinky after a day on the slopes?? Gotta be some more places out there, share with us??
GDWindowpane
July 15, 2008
Member since 07/9/2008 🔗
43 posts
Wintergreen usually has some decent live entertainment at the Edge. But before, during and after skiing libations are usually enjoyed at the house on Eagle Swoop. That's one of the wife's chief duties, chucking beers to us from the deck. She's developed quite an arm...
hockeydave
July 16, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
When Laurel was open, the Wildcat Lounge was the best place, especially at sunset looking down onto the Ligonier Valley. And when we headed West on 30, prior to it being torched, the Sleepy Hollow tavern was outstanding (hopefully, when rebuilt, it will have a similar ambiance). Also, there is a small bar in Younstown, PA (just outside of Latrobe) called the Tin Lizzy. They have a basement bar (if you're over 6', you need to duck to avoid hitting the beams) with a tremendous fireplace to keep you warm. and they just recently opened an upscale restaurant/bar at the top of the building.

I know many people on another thread aren't too happy with John Harvard's at Hidden Valley for a variety of reasons (I have had nothing but good food & service), but the 5 or 6 times I skied there this past year, JH's Pale Ale really hit the spot.

Of course, the Foggy Goggle is a must at Seven Springs for a libation or 2.
Crush
July 16, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
 Originally Posted By: hockeydave
... Of course, the Foggy Goggle is a must at Seven Springs for a libation or 2.

or maybe bit-o-the-burgh - a little more calm and no cig smoke.
comprex
July 16, 2008
1,326 posts

No one pops into Flannery's in Mercersburg?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 16, 2008
1,535 posts
Does the Ott House in Emmitsburg right near Liberty count? Good local spot, good ski crowd, thousands of fire fighter and military patches on the wall, and a good crowd from the nearby DHS Training Center.
SCWVA
July 16, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'm a big fan of the Foggy Goggle at the Springs. I've spent many Apres ski sessions there.

WISP's watering hole isn't open on Sundays, so we usually head to the parking lot for some tailgating.

I need to check out Jimmy's bar & tailgate this coming season. I hear he has one of the best Happy Hours out there.
comprex
July 16, 2008
1,326 posts
happy hour + wet polypro contest, so I hear.
imp - DCSki Supporter 
July 16, 2008
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
I favor the Wildcat lounge. Guess where
imp
GGNagy
July 16, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
 Originally Posted By: imp
I favor the Wildcat lounge. Guess where
imp

Might wanna check the bottling date on that next brew if you are still going to the Wildcat.
crunchy
July 17, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: jimmy
doesn't anybody but john PJ JimK Colonell and Lou ever think about a little drinky after a day on the slopes?? Gotta be some more places out there, share with us??

I think you can predict what my favorite place in canaan is for apres ski libation and cheer is. I just don't want to sound like the broken record I am \:\)
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 17, 2008
1,535 posts
Go ahead, crunch... Some of us aren't CV locals, and apre-ski beer is the best thing next to gluewine.
crunchy
July 17, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
well im not a CV local really .. just a CV lover with a vested interest \:\) but since you forced my hand... Whitegrass Cafe has local brews, wine, great soups, sandwiches, baked goodies, and often the shotski with some 'shine will make an appearance \:\) And for the serious food connoisseur, make dinner reservations there! 4-star dinner buffet all the way...seriously.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 17, 2008
1,535 posts
Interesting. Both CV and Snowshoe area's touring centers have top-notch restaurants. CV with Whitegrass and Snowshoe with the ERTC. I must get there and taste their dishes either this summer or winter

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?