National Ski Expo Dates
32 posts
16 users
12k+ views
SCWVA
June 29, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
The National Ski Expo (DC-VA) is scheduled for November 7-9, 2008. This year they've combined the show with No. VA. /DC Travel show.

No other details listed on their site.

National Ski Expo

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
June 30, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
In Chantilly. At the end of the world. Not a chance of mass transit. At what will likely be $5.50 a gallon by then, wonder what their attendance will be...
comprex
July 2, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
The deterrent is not the cost but the value for cost.
JohnL
July 6, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Man, this "ski show" is flatlining. Stick a fork in it. Kate Smith has finished her song.

Unless you want to hang out with the folks at King's Creek Plantation and the World Cruising Society. Hmmm, I wonder what kind of trade-ins are offered?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
comprex
July 7, 2008
1,326 posts
I heard that (TN) Ski Chalet are likely to push back their ski swap dates. That's a shame: TOSC's Chantilly swap dates made it reasonable to drive out, hit two events at one go and maybe get a bit of pho to boot.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 7, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Yep, heard the same. I know about 20 skiers here in DC that are so disappointed at the value and the venue that I think these folks are lost forever from the ski show. At least when it was in Arlington it was convenient to everyone.
Crush
July 7, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
sooo comprex - where do-ya get that pho 'round there ? my "colorful" post last time re: the show showed my displeasure, but if you could serve that pho up with some wine - errr it would lessen the "whine" !
scootertig
July 7, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I don't know about where the pho is, but Willard's BBQ is always worth a stop...

aaron
Crush
July 7, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
- bbq - oh that will do nicely! thx!
comprex
July 8, 2008
1,326 posts
Pho Bac on 50
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
September 21, 2008
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Hmm...

Combining ski venues with other recreation attractions makes this event a great deal less desirable IMHO. I went last year and was glad to receive passes to Wisp et al.

As of today, their DCSki ad and website include no mention of complimentary tickets this time around...unless I missed something.
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 21, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
A release I have states: "Every day of this year's Expo will feature a free ski pass give-a-way for ski areas in Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia." I'm not sure if that means *every* visitor will receive a free ski pass, or just some subset.
scootertig
September 21, 2008
365 posts
I was just going to ask about this...

Looking at the Warren Miller site, it doesn't appear that they're scheduled to do a showing anywhere south of New England right now. Is the WM showing a sure thing? or is there a real chance there will be no showing at the DC expo?

(to be honest, I'm more troubled by the potential lack of giveaway tix associated with the showing...)

aaron
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 21, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Originally Posted By: scootertig
I was just going to ask about this...

Looking at the Warren Miller site, it doesn't appear that they're scheduled to do a showing anywhere south of New England right now. Is the WM showing a sure thing? or is there a real chance there will be no showing at the DC expo?

(to be honest, I'm more troubled by the potential lack of giveaway tix associated with the showing...)

aaron

The National Ski & Snowboard Expo will feature Warren Miller's new movie "Children of Winter," with free showings every two hours throughout the weekend.
Jeremy
September 25, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
73 posts
I happen to have the inside track on the passes but SHHHHHHH!!!!! This is just between us DCski folks because I am depending on passes for a group of friends and I this winter.

The first 500 people attending each day get passes with their admission.

Friday- Wintergreen passes
Saturday- Ski WISP passes
Sunday- Canaan Valley/Timberline passes

I'm always nervous each year that I won't get the passes and we have lodging booked. The pass discount is really what allows us all to afford it. Saturday I will be there at o' dark hundred.
Ullr
September 25, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Originally Posted By: Scott
The National Ski & Snowboard Expo will feature Warren Miller's new movie "Children of Winter," with free showings every two hours throughout the weekend.

Does that include Friday as well?
anon
October 6, 2008
Member since 11/17/2006 🔗
14 posts
Does anyone know if Ski Liberty will be giving out free early season lift tickets like they did last year? Also, if I can't make it to the expo are there any other events that liberty gives out the free early season passes?

I am always itching to ski as soon as the place opens but it seems like such a waste to pay for a full price ticket when they only have 1 run open on the backside.
Jeremy
October 7, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
73 posts
I don't remember Liberty giving out passes last year...maybe I just missed it. Most of the resorts have drawings for passes I think, is that what your talking about?

I do remember Liberty not giving out the snow cards for the first time last year...not that the deals for those were really great anyway.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 7, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
IIRC the Snowtime resorts (Lib, RT, Whitetail) gave out vouchers to each person at end of Warren Miller movie that you could trade at their exhibit booth for a free early season lift ticket. Don't know if they'll do that again?

Edit: this was in addition to the freebie lift ticket given out when you paid your entrance fee.
dcmidnight
October 7, 2008
Member since 11/11/2006 🔗
125 posts
Its been, conservatively, five years since I thought the expo was worthwhile and maybe closer to 10 - back when it was at the Ballston Mall - for anyone that remembers that far back. The last five years the show has been an absolute joke. When it opens the first day *nothing* is ever ready, the booths are always half-assed until late Saturday or Sunday, some remain empty, the whole thing feels like a shell of its former self. Well, unless you want to go to a thrilling exhibit on copper pots and pans or a booth on storm windows. If so, then you should definitely check out the "ski" expo.

Even the Warren Miller movies have been disappointing IMO. Sure the movies is free and sure there are free lift passes. But its just not worth it to spend the money on gas and admissions for a free lift ticket you can use on (probably) very limited days of the week usually before a certain day of the year.

No thanks. This will be the first year I wont be going and I just wont go back unless I hear overwhelmingly that it was worth it. Too bad really.
comprex
October 7, 2008
1,326 posts

MSP is showing their movie at Buffallo Billiards that Saturday.
SCWVA
November 7, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Anyone going?

I'm going by in the am before the soccer games begin and I hope to go back in the afternoon to watch the WM movie.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 7, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I plan on going tomorrow, Sat.
Anybody go tonight? What should we expect with this new combined format? Still worth going?
The Colonel smile
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 7, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
If I go, probably Sunday.
wojo
November 8, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel
I plan on going tomorrow, Sat.
Anybody go tonight? What should we expect with this new combined format? Still worth going?
The Colonel smile

No cooking demos this year. Local resorts, decent gear. Had to cut out on the movie, I would say marginally better than previous years, plus I can walk there from work.

So for 10$ I got a magazine, a movie, two lift tickets, lots of bedtime reading material and got to use my address labels for bunches of contests smile
scootertig
November 8, 2008
365 posts
I actually liked the movie a LOT more than last year. It's not as good as "classic" films, necessarily, but it was much more interesting to me than last time out.

The show itself was unimpressive, I thought... I don't know what they need to do to make it better, though. Maybe having it in a smaller place would help, because it wouldn't feel so empty and undersized?

aaron
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 8, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
In my humble opinion the show was certainly better than last year...would not take much.
I enjoyed myself, bought a large travel bag, some socks, etc. There were more ski area booths than travel related booths, most all the local areas were represented and manned by folks that seemed to know their stuff. Received no free tickets, but did get free subscription to Skiing mag with my admission. Will soon get tons of mail as I entered most of the ski area drawings for vacations, lift tickets, skis, or whatever. Had a real good chat with the Snowshoe director of publicity about their inadequate and poorly organized childrens ski school, especially when compared to the Seven Springs, Wintergreen, etc. operations. No excuse for this!! Will post a separate story within the next week. Did not see the movie. One interesting thing was a scaffold built hill with a single terrain park hit being used by skiers and boarders. I think it was sponsored by Seven Springs. Looked exceedingly dangerous...cement is a lot harder than snow should one fall. Lots of new and some used clothes and equipment. Saw Freed from the old Ski Chalet at the Timberline booth. Always a joy to talk with him. Picked up the usual ton of brochures. SkiCan had a booth, otherwise not much from the west...saw the Jay Peake and Stratton folks.
Go and enjoy. I think the web site indicates that the first 500 purchasing tickets each day get a free lift ticket.
The Colonel smile
comprex
November 8, 2008
1,326 posts

Ski Haus Glen Burnie: sellers market for the under-$150 items. Not very many buyers overall, but 3 of my 4 items sold in less than 2 hours, mostly because I priced to sell when no one else did. Some nice gear (162cm B5), some cult gear (G31s, AX4s), most of it in the $150-$250 category which, imho, was wrong for the venue. Knowledgeable and caring staff. Decent amount of mid-market and value clothing.

Ski Racquet Olney: Sellers market for the under-$300 items. Much more buyers than stock. Of note: Head XP100s (aka 'evil clown shoes'). Not much clothing. Not many skis overall.

Dulles Expo swap: Seller's market for under-$100. Very, very many boots. Most of the older gear rather premium priced, did see one pair of AC3s at a good price ($235). Not a good selection of much of anything; I would go to Ski Chalet Chantilly tomorrow if I didn't already have ProFit and Alpine plans.
comprex
November 9, 2008
1,326 posts

Alpine ski shop Sterling: Interesting boot selection, ski selection a bit sparse but included some really unusual items, including Head Monsters, a pair of Volant Genesis M from when Atomic decided to make Volant into a luxury brand, and some really unusual garments, including a 3/4 length Columbia raincoat dress. Staff very helpful, this swap was not very well attended. A bit of a shame, really.

Ski Chalet Chantilly: Very, very extensive boot selection, quite impressive. Prices a bit high but included a couple of charity donations at $100 of new, undrilled mid-performance East Coast skis. Quite a few retro skis, one pair modern race stock, some impressive XC ski gear. I dropped $15 on a pair of Tuas with BD Rivas on them. There was almost -nobody- at this swap, a real shame.

Pro-Fit Leesburg: Well-attended swap, unfortunately a lot of things were sold already so the modern gear aisles were fairly sparse. One pair of Liberty C-Notes, undrilled for $250 tempted me for a moment. Very good boot selection and a brisk business.

Who's on for Arlington next week, then? I think I will probably drop stuff off for sale there.
RodSmith
November 10, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Tuas?

Arlington sounds within reach.
comprex
November 10, 2008
1,326 posts
Kinda like a Karhu XCD GT, 205cm, wood core, skateable (full steel edges), work in track, waxless (Karhu-style fishscales not Atomic-style insets, ABS topsheet in plain grey with an orange stripe. Kinda nice actually, very light for a wood core.

I am sort of over compensating for envying my sister's yellow-black stripe Vittor Tuas back in 1976: the only one I haven't skied is the Sumo. Unfortunately the factory shut its doors back in 2002. frown

I think my old Tua Crossrides (110/75/100) will be my go-to skis for local stuff this coming season.
RodSmith
November 11, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Sigh, XCD GT 205, my first telemark skis. Nice find!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?