Possible Amtrak service to Rockwood, PA
13 posts
8 users
3k+ views
jb714
June 24, 2008
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
It seems like this effort is in the (very) preliminary stages, but it's refreshing to see that the locals are pushing for it. For the record, Rockwood is roughly 12-13 miles from Seven Springs/Hidden Valley, and it is also located on the Allegheny Passage bike trail:

Daily American article
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
June 24, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
That's great news. It is a totally new world from the 1990s. Now it would be up to the resort to make it worthwhile to the customer to head up there via train. For one, they would have a captive audience...
scootertig
June 24, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I wonder if Laurel opening (or not) will have an effect on the success of this push? It would seem that they would be a reasonable destination from Rockwood as well, eh?

aaron
Edgar3
June 25, 2008
Member since 05/29/2007 🔗
149 posts
This is great news to see that an effort is available. We had a thread on this very topic here on DCSKi just a few months ago, so maybe someone took notice. One would think the new resort owners had pushed for it, but also since this initiative is for year round service it would really help the community. They key will be how well it would be promoted and shuttle connections.
jb714
June 25, 2008
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Getting from Rockwood to LM is a bit more problematic - the most logical way is to head to Somerset, then 219 North to Rt 30 west, then to Laurel. Also, LM's lack of lodging would be difficult for folks relying on public transportation.
Roger Z
June 26, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
And wouldn't you know it... there is NO direct train service from Kansas City to Denver. I about fell out of my chair when I checked that today. If I want to take the train from Kansas City to oh, say, Winter Park Colorado, I have to go to Raton, New Mexico, then hook a transfer and come back north to Denver, then hook another transfer to get to Winter Park. At least 16 hours, maybe more.

If I was in Omaha, however, there's an overnight sleeper car. You leave at 10 p.m. get to Winter Park at 10 a.m., leave at five p.m. back in town by 7 a.m. the next day. $71 each way. Ideal.

How Amtrak wound up directing their routes across the country is a mystery. I think a Denver-Kansas City line would be turning some good business right now.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
June 30, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
 Originally Posted By: Roger Z
And wouldn't you know it... there is NO direct train service from Kansas City to Denver....
How Amtrak wound up directing their routes across the country is a mystery. I think a Denver-Kansas City line would be turning some good business right now.

Actually, many times it's just plain and simple, pork. Senators vie for the Amtrak service through their towns in return for subsidies.

Don't know how this will stand in view of current transportation realities. I will say over and over again... Change in paradigms is required.

Having said that, Omaha seems to be so ideally located... Plus at the expense of being a target for the next PETA paint workshop, I have had about the best steaks in Omaha...
Roger Z
June 30, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Although I live in "Cowtown" (that's the old motto the Chamber of Commerce is busy trying to stomp out of existence, boooo), the best steaks I have had to-date have invariably been in the Colorado high country- from The Mint in Silverthorne to First Street Cafe, there's something about the upper Arkansas River that breeds some fine cows.

When it comes to BARBEQUE, however...
Edgar3
October 4, 2008
149 posts
Looks like a provision for train service to Rockwood was included in the Amtrak funding bill that just passed. Someone with political pull must have been able to get it included in the bill. Got to love the way the system works.

Surprised this has not yet appeared in the local news. Wonder how 7S and HV will respond to take advantage of what could be a great opportunity for them. Certainly shuttle bus service and overall promotion of a "ski train" are in order to connect the dots.

See: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=HPID%2CHPID%3A2006-32%2CHPID%3Aen&as_q=amtrak+rockwood+bill&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=w&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images
SCWVA
October 5, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
How long of a ride on Amtrak would it be from Union Station to Rockwood?

Amtrak's website says its 7.5hrs from Union Station to Pittsburgh,PA.
Edgar3
October 8, 2008
149 posts
I checked the schedule, and to go to Connelsville, which is beyond Rockwood takes 5.5hrs and costs $35, so would say Rockwood would be maybe 5hrs.

Certainly not fast, but more relaxing than driving especially with uncertain weather and if you are coming from downtown and would otherwise have traffic issues to deal with. It takes only about 3 hrs to Cumberland, which is pretty comparable to driving, but things must crawl after that.

Regarding some earlier posts, really see an opportunity for the Laurel Highlands Resorts to do a bus service from DC or Baltimore. If bus or train tickets were somehow promoted and subsidized by the resorts to make it a no brainer, they could certainly make it back in having a captive audience for lodging, meals, etc. They are better positioned vs the lowland resorts where driving is less of an issue and day trips are the norm.
GGNagy
October 8, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
506 posts
Its a long slow climb to Sandpatch and then back down the twisty banks of the Cassleman and Yough rivers. So yes, it does crawl from Cumberland to Connelsville.

It is interesting that my research is indicating that a lost ski area might possibly be visible during the climb to sandpatch.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.