Who has night skiing out west or New England
17 posts
10 users
5k+ views
Steve
June 15, 2008
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
OK, so I promised my son (18) that I would take him to CO next year. He and his buds are so used to night skiing that they don't even get up until noon, then they're out on and off till 9:00.

My wife is trying to get us to go to Snowshoe, partly so she can go. I like Snowshoe, but it doesn't compare (IMO) to CO. Everything out there just goes on and on.

I've been looking at Keystone. But with airfare at $400 plus extra for skis etc., 4 days lift tickets at $75 for 3 people and lodging at around $1200, it doesn't take long to start talking serious money.

Are there nice mountains in New England that are drivable and have night skiing? Or just give up the night ski angle.

Mind you, I'm still planning a trip to CO for me, but its so much cheaper for one. I can crash with a friend and do the whole thing for $700. But I can't show up with kids in tow.

So what's a Dad to do?

Steve
Scott - DCSki Editor
June 15, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Well, one thought I had is that Colorado is a couple hours behind East coast, so even if your kids are used to getting up at noon, that should translate to 10 a.m. for the first day or two. So that might help a bit. Most of the "big" destination resorts don't offer night skiing.
Ullr
June 15, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Keystone has very limited terrain that is open for night skiing, but overall it is a nice resort.

Up in NE Bolton Valley has night skiing, but we have not been there in years.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 15, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Kind of surprised about the comment on night skiing and Keystone. I have skied Keystone at night and I remember top to bottom big mountain skiing under the lights.
There is no positive comparison between night skiing here in the mid-Atlantic and Keystone.
And if you are in CO or Utah I bet the guys get up earlier.
The Colonel \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
JohnL
June 15, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
OK, so I promised my son (18) that I would take him to CO next year. He and his buds are so used to night skiing that they don't even get up until noon, then they're out on and off till 9:00.

Save yourself some money and buy him a Wii. A somewhat facetious comment, but only somewhat.

Quote:
So what's a Dad to do?

How about tell him if he wants the trip out West, he'll have to be on the slopes by 10AM? Something to consider. Some ground rules never hurt, especially if you are paying. If you want some father-son bonding event accommodating vampire hours, why not do a local weekend trip?

(I can relate, because my nephew has similar issues, though he is a bit younger.)

You definitely won't be getting your money's worth on a destination ski trip if you are mostly skiing late afternoon/evening. But if that is your choice, consider:

Brighton, Utah
Snow King(?), Jackson WY
Keystone, CO (as mentioned)
Bolton Valley, VT (as mentioned)
Stowe, VT

Does anyone know if Winter Park, CO has night skiing?
Steve
June 15, 2008
160 posts
 Originally Posted By: JohnL
Does anyone know if Winter Park, CO has night skiing?

No Winter Park closes around 4. I have a buddy who has invited me out the last two winters.

I think you're right though. Either up at 8:00 to be on the slopes by 10:00 or its not worth going.

But I will check out Bolton Valley and Stowe.

Thanks, Steve
JohnL
June 15, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
But I will check out Bolton Valley and Stowe.

One word of caution. Vermont can be very, very cold, especially at night. In general, night skiing in New England is too stern for me as I've gotten older, but you may luck out with the weather.

Bolton is not a bad little area, plus it is very close to Burlington. Another inexpensive hidden gem nearby is Middlebury Snow Bowl. Some pretty nice steep groomers and a very good bet on a holiday weekend. (For a day.)

Tossing a couple of other possible night skiing choices: Hunter or Windham in NY? Gore? Not sure if any of the above has night skiing, but they are a bit closer than Northern Vermont.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy whatever trip you decide on.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 16, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Another Western area with a decent amount of night skiing is Park City, UT. You'll find, though, that few areas will light up 100% of terrain like we see in mid-Atlantic.
How many buddies? Any that could be expected to help pay for gas and share driving? Could you drive them to Keystone in two hardcore highway days?

Don't think Hunter has night skiing. Nearby Windham, NY does, but only on very limited terrain.
The Shawnee Peak, ME website says they have most night skiing in northern New England, 19 trails over their full 1300 feet of vert: http://www.shawneepeak.com/mountain/stats.php
Shawnee is close to some other good areas in NH, some of which have limited night skiing (Cranmore) and great day skiing (Wildcat).

BTW, I took three narcoleptic teens to Keystone in 2007 ( http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1022&mode=rss ). A big, new mountain was enough to make them pretty good about waking up early, but I did leave two behind on day three when they slept in until 10am. Night skiing was not offered in late spring.
curih
June 16, 2008
Member since 02/18/2008 🔗
177 posts
The Park City night skiing looked pretty limited when I was there. Just the Payday lift (lower 1/3 of mountain) plus the beginner lift and a lot of stuff off the Payday wasn't lighted.
SCWVA
June 16, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Powder Mtn, UT has nite skiing, but it is very limited.

Wolf Mtn, UT has nite skiing. 100% of their terrain is open at nite. This seems to be the place where the local kids hang out. Lift tickets are only $25 for a 9am to 9pm session. We'd ski Powder or Snowbasin during the day and then hit Wolf Mtn. late afternoon and evening with the kids. Very family friendly place.
Steve
June 16, 2008
160 posts
 Originally Posted By: JimK

BTW, I took three narcoleptic teens to Keystone in 2007

Jim, great article on Keystone, wish I had seen it before. The plus to Keystone is that the Area-51 Terrain Park is part of the night ski area. I'll check out Windham, that would be very drivable.

Steve
Steve
June 16, 2008
160 posts
Could you drive them to Keystone in two hardcore highway days?

BTW Jim, I'm obsessed, not crazy!

Steve
hockeydave
June 16, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
 Quote:
How about tell him if he wants the trip out West, he'll have to be on the slopes by 10AM? Something to consider. Some ground rules never hurt, especially if you are paying.

JohnL, what a novel suggestion that parents actually lay the law down on children. You must be old school, because in this day and age, the inmates definitely run the asylum.
Ullr
June 16, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Kind of surprised about the comment on night skiing and Keystone. I have skied Keystone at night and I remember top to bottom big mountain skiing under the lights.
There is no positive comparison between night skiing here in the mid-Atlantic and Keystone.
And if you are in CO or Utah I bet the guys get up earlier.
The Colonel \:\)

Sorry, maybe I should quantify. Comapred to all their terrain, it was limited (i.e. few bump runs, no bowls of course).
comprex
June 18, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
 Originally Posted By: curih
The Park City night skiing looked pretty limited when I was there. Just the Payday lift (lower 1/3 of mountain) plus the beginner lift and a lot of stuff off the Payday wasn't lighted.

Correct.

Western mountains get brutally cold at night too, esp. if there's a wind up.
Steve
June 18, 2008
160 posts
 Originally Posted By: comprex
Western mountains get brutally cold at night too, esp. if there's a wind up.

Oh, that'll teach'em to get their a$$'s out of bed in the morning.

Steve
comprex
June 18, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
If that's a good thing,you might consider that most of the south (river-facing) side of Mont Sainte Anne is lit for night skiing, with the added advantage of enclosed cabins for the ride up.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.