long TRIP short REPORT-VT
13 posts
8 users
6k+ views
jimmy
April 24, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
SCWVA will add some pictures and fill in the details later but i just can't keep this in any longer what an incredible two and a half days.

So it all started last thursday when SCWVA posted this on epic ski. Couple of PM's and phone calls and it's game on, final decision made at 2:00 pm Saturday afternoon. Scott and I decided to meet at Harrisburg International Airport, drop my car and head up to Vermont. Left HBG at 8:00 pm spent the nite just off I87 at Glen Falls and arrived at Stowe 10:00am Sunday.

Stowe's last day of the season was Sunday 4/20. They had two lifts, Forerunner and Gondola running. Decided to take a "warmup" run on Chin Clip. Jimmy learned two things on Chin Clip,

1. don't warm up on a bump run
2. SCWVA is a fantastic bump skier

I was amazed how much snow, deep snow was still on the ground. Snow conditions were spring, the day was sunny and the air was warm. It looked like the mountain hadn't been groomed for a week and they had plenty of terrain open, i don't remember seeing a closed trail off the forerunner quad. Six hours of skiing soft bumps and snow, had a short tailgate party in the lot and headed south to be closer to Mount Snow Monday.

Monday we got to work on time. The base was a lot thinner than Stowe but still plenty of snow. We headed over to North Face and spent the day there skiing everything, tho i chickened out on Ripcord. Scott did some pond skimming that was fun to watch. 2 o'clock turned into 3:30 we were having so much fun, kind of like once we quit, that's it and it will be a long time til December. Back to the main base, beers on the dec and on the road at 5:00.

Scott and I had met a couple of times but this was our first time to ski together. I've always believed that if you want to become a better skier, you should probably ski with better skiers when you get the chance. Scott, Thanks for the laughs, the you ski the bumps with your hands tip and for waiting for me at the bottom. Dale's loss = my gain. This was the latest i've skied in a season. Hope we do it again.
skier219
April 24, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Awesome guys! Way to do it.
SCWVA
April 25, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Here's a little more info on our trip to Stowe & Mt. Snow.

Stowe was in midseason form. The snow was deep everywhere. On closing day Stowe was skiing 88 trails, including Upper Goat & Upper Liftline.

As Jimmy mentioned we warmed up on Chin Clip, one of my favorite New England style trails. By the time were we got back down to the gondola we was more than warmed up and ready to go. After a few runs, we then worked our way over to the Quad. On the first run up the Quad, I noticed the Upper Goat was open. The Goat was sweet top to bottom. The upper portion of Liftline opened around mid-day, It was a blast. I had never skied it before, but that's because it's hardly open.

Here's some pictures:

[url=]Top Goat ( Part Way Down)[/url]

[url=]Mid Goat (looking up)[/url]

On Monday, we skied Mt. Snow. They were skiing 57 trails. The skiing seem much more limited than at Stowe, especially on the front side. But hey, it was April 21st. The Northface area had great coverage. We ended up spending the entire day on the Northface. We had a blast ripping up the corn. Ripcord was open and had more snow on it than I'd ever seen on it before.

Here's some pictures:

[url=]Top of Ripcord right before it gets steep[/url]

[url=]Bottom of Ripcord (looking up)[/url]

[url=]Bottom of Ripcord [/url]

The pictures don't show how steep Goat & Ripcord actually are. They were a blast to ski. Of the two, Ripcord seemed steeper, but The Goat is a whole lot narrower.

We had a great time and Jimmy was a pleasure to ski with. Can't wait till next year.
kwillg6
April 25, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
Gee guys, that sounds like a really good road trip. If you want to include a few more for next year, count me in. I love soft spring conditions and it looks almost deserted. You did a very good thing! I'm in awe! \:o
skier219
April 25, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Ripcord is indeed pretty damn steep. It's often closed mid-season when it's icy (the whole NF area gets really icy). I'd say spring is one of the best times to hit it.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 25, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
I heard they carpooled up in one of these to save gas: http://www.pinklily.com.au/images/media/smartcar.jpg

That's a lot of road time for some ultra Eastern late spring turns. You guys earn diehard bump junkie road warrior status for sure. If you could have fit in hiking for turns by torchlight at Tuckerman's Scott Smith would have created a sixth star for your msg forum member ratings. \:D
jimmy
April 25, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Nice car Jim, actually SCWVA wanted to take the train ;\) but I unfortunatly am afraid to fly. We did see a guy at the end of the day at Stowe strapping his skis onto the back of his Harley, must say that was a first for me.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 25, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
jimmy,
What a trip. Your legs must have turned to jelly with all the bumps.
Question, even when sober you seem to have problems expressing yourself, what does "wanted to take the train but I unfortunatly am afraid to fly" really mean? How do you get to Utah? Are you pulling our chain?
We luv you man!
The Colonel \:\)
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 25, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,344 posts
Nice report. Glad you got there Jimmy.
skier219
April 26, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Colonel, it may be my Seinfeld-trained sense of deprecating humor, but jimmy always makes sense to me, and I'm only drunk half the time!
SCWVA
May 8, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
 Originally Posted By: jimmy
....... Jimmy learned two things......

..... Dale's loss = my gain. ....

Jimmy,

You should have learned three things. The 3rd being, when it comes to skiing & Mtn. Biking, I'm a very bad influence. Just ask my friend's wives. \:\)

BTW - Dale was/is Redman's 24hrs of Canaan/Snowshoe teammate. Go RENOB!!! Next season we'll have to head back up to VT and ski with him. Maybe I can talk Redman into joining us.

After the trip, I felt fullfilled. Now it'll be a long 6 mos, before I get to ski again. Luckily, my summer job has taken me to South Beach, FL. Ever been? Very nice scenery.
jimmy
May 8, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Originally Posted By: SCWVA
....... Jimmy learned two things......

..... Dale's loss = my gain. ....

Jimmy,

You should have learned three things. The 3rd being, when it comes to skiing & Mtn. Biking, I'm a very bad influence. Just ask my friend's wives. \:\)

BTW - Dale was/is Redman's 24hrs of Canaan/Snowshoe teammate. Go RENOB!!! Next season we'll have to head back up to VT and ski with him. Maybe I can talk Redman into joining us.

After the trip, I felt fullfilled. Now it'll be a long 6 mos, before I get to ski again. Luckily, my summer job has taken me to South Beach, FL. Ever been? Very nice scenery.

Hey SouthBeach good choice, ain't neva bin there they tell me it's nice..........

You MUST file a trip report, WITH PICTURES .
David
May 8, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

You MUST file a trip report, WITH PICTURES .

Lots of pictures......

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.