Corn Harvest at Timberline
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 8, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
The weekend of Apr. 6&7 was TL's last of the season. My good friend Al hosted 6 of us at his condos to see what the ski Gods might serve up, corn, or rain soaked mush or boilerplate. Despite rain, or the threat of it all weekend plus fog & clouds with 50 foot visibility at times, we had some perfect hero conditions and some merely good. Gore Tex helped, particularly sitting on the chairs. I had Gore Tex.

I don't think there were 100 people there on either day and I knew half of them. Every time I turned around someone else I knew came out of the woodwork. On Sat. WL, TS, Sally, and OTW were open and Drop was on reserve for locals and their friends. At least I think that what desolC means, or maybe that's my dyslepsia again. On Sun. OTW was added to the reserve list. It saw a lot of traffic. Late on Sun. I saw a pair carrying a cooler down OTW, no doubt for a slopeside season ending party. Patrol?

On Sat. I took a couple runs with my buddy Chip who was on a snowboard. He got off the lift, glided over to a 15 year old with multiple ear & face piercings, spiked hair, and the "right" look, and said; "Hey Dude, can you teach me how to talk like a snowboarder? I want to Shred the Gnar. Or is that gnaw the shed??? I need to know man. I want to know it all!" The kid caught on quickly and laughed as hard as everybody else.

Alone I would not have enjoyed it much but the infectious enthusiasm of good friends made it a great weekend of spring skiing.

Thunderstruck in particular still has a deep base. If past patterns hold there will be an April snowstorm. A few inches of fresh powder on the old glacier would make a very nice day of skinin' & skii'n. It has happened before.
Murphy
April 9, 2008
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
 Originally Posted By: Denis
Thunderstruck in particular still has a deep base. If past patterns hold there will be an April snowstorm. A few inches of fresh powder on the old glacier would make a very nice day of skinin' & skii'n. It has happened before.

Well keep this Sunday open. You might get your wish. \:\)
jimmy
April 9, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Denis cleaned the mud, grass and corn husk off my skis last nite, what a nice way to end my season. Poor folks i skied with Sunday, let me join them for a run and they had to pack up and leave town to get away from me..... must have been the nice lunch and free beer, never give jimmy beer \:D . Agree that the snow on the Local Reserve was quite nice, best on the hill and the walk out was fun too. I did enjoy meeting and skiing with ur crew, nice, fun, great skiers!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 9, 2008
2,337 posts
 Originally Posted By: Murphy

Well keep this Sunday open. You might get your wish. \:\)

If that happens make some turns for me. I'll be at Stowe.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 9, 2008
2,337 posts
Pleasure to ski with you Jimmy. See you next season.
SCWVA
April 11, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
 Originally Posted By: Denis

If that happens make some turns for me. I'll be at Stowe.

Denis,

So what are your VT people saying about Saturday night? Is it going to rain or snow Saturday nite, Sunday, & Monday? Are they predicting much snow or just some dust on crust?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.