Mad River kids amaze at Steamboat
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 5, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Just got back from skiing 8 of 9 days in Colo., 6 at Steamboat with both kids and all 3 grandkids, and a day each at Loveland and Arapahoe Basin with my son. This tale is really about the grandsons, ages 10, 7, and 4. All, as my father would say, "could lick their weight in wildcats", 65 lbs, 50 lbs. and 35 lbs., respectively. They are my daughter's boys and live in Burlington, VT, have season passes at Mad River Glen, and have been trained in the kids programs of the MRG ski school and of course by the MRG terrain itself. They pounded the bumps and plundered the powder all over Steamboat leaving slack jawed gapers in their wakes. By day 4, the 4 yr. old was begging us to take him down the chutes. He had already handled everything else on the mountain so we took him and he skied them, no problems. We were as amazed as anybody. None of us has ever before seen a 4 (birthday in late Dec.) yr. old 35 lb kid ski chutes.

TRs to follow.
David
March 5, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Sounds awesome! I know what it feels like to be one of the "slack jawed gapers" watching little kids blowing by. Thankfully that doesn't happen much anymore. BTW, nice to hear from ya. Seems like it has been a while.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 6, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
There comes a point in every person's life when it is no longer seemly to boast of one's own exploits, notable as they may be. Rather, the most esteemed individuals are endowed with progeny as countless as the stars to which they may ascribe numerous and mighty deeds.
SCWVA
March 6, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Denis,

Will your Grandkids be skiing MRG tomorrow/Friday?
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Great kids, I wish mine could rip like that. Alas, not enough time on the slopes or quality instruction. I've tried to stoke the passion but skiing is just one more recreation option to them.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
No. The kids have school tomorrow. Their normal day is Sat, but only Daniel (4) will be in ski school. Conor (10) and Patrick (7) will be skiing with Mom and Dad.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.