The Importance of Tires (and a Thank You)
10 posts
10 users
2k+ views
scootertig
March 3, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Well, Blue Knob would have been awesome this weekend. Seven Springs was good on Saturday, but I really had my heart set on Blue Knob. I hear they got 12" on Friday night, so the conditions Saturday must have been fantastic. I wouldn't know. I never made it.

Leaving Leesburg on Saturday morning (before BK had posted a snow report), things were warm and sunny, and birds were chirping. Not exactly skiing weather. We set out, and began to see iffy roads about the time we got off of I-99 to Blue Knob. By the time we'd wandered through "town", there was a lot more snow around, and I guess we missed the sign for the left turn to BK. I then found myself stranded in a solid foot of snow on the road, and couldn't get myself going. I knew I needed new tires "soon", I just didn't realize that I should have gotten them "sooner".

Luckily, 3 people stopped to help (including a guy that lived a few houses away and saw me having trouble), so we eventually got me out of the snow, and headed back to BK. One I made the turn onto the road up the mountain, and saw the sign that said "steep winding road" I knew I wasn't going to make it. So, I turned around (good choice... Even turning around on the road at that pitch was about all that my tires would take), and headed back down. We decided to head to Seven Springs, instead, since we were already up that way...

In short, I should have known better. Living in Maine for 7 years, I should (and do) remember the importance of good tires in the snow. I just didn't realize I was headed into that much snow when I left my house, you know?

But I shouldn't complain about snow on a skiing site. That's silly.

If the two non-local guys (one in an FSU jacket, the other in a mini-van with MD plates) are DCski-ers, I owe you a thank you and a beer... I was in the burgundy Jetta, and yes, I'm getting new tires.

Here's hoping that BK will be in good shape in 2 weeks...

aaron
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Agree totally, Aaron... As a transplant New Englander, I also value tires and brakes as a life support system. The two things on which I don't wish to save money are tires and brake discs or pads.

This Thursday, I went to CRW to pick up my family from Ft Lauderdale and bring them up to Snowshoe for our annual two-week Cubanfest in the snow. While on the way from Snowshoe and all through my waiting time in Charleston, it had started snowing at Snowshoe. We started our way back at 1400. Raining in Charleston, but as we got to Cowen about 15 miles from Route 19, it started coming down like a blizzard. Between Webster Spring and Valley Head, it WAS a blizzard. There's about a 25-30 mile stretch above 2,000 feet and this was winter wonderland. Getting to Snowshoe, there were easily several inches on the ground (weather service had stated 1.5 inches). Cars off the road everywhere. We made it safe and sound to another several inches after our arrival. I think new truck tires on the jeep did the trick. I may get more road noise, but the safety factor gives me a comfy feeling...
crunchy
March 3, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
get some Continental ContiExtremeContact all-seasons... best all season tire for snow \:\)
Noopie
March 3, 2008
Member since 01/11/2008 🔗
17 posts
I second that crunchy! I got Continental ContiExtremeContacts put on my Subaru a month before a trip to snowshoe last year. They day we were set to leave there was a blizzard on the mountain (go figure). I felt very comfortable driving in the 8-10 inches of snow with them on and was one of the few people that could even get out of the parking lot.
tgd
March 3, 2008
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KOs do the trick for me. What convinced me to buy them in the first place were the testimonies on TireRack.com from people in ND and Minnesota crusing through snow up to their doors with these things. The ride and noise are not as sweet as plain old radials, but I never get stuck in the snow!

Tom
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Lou,
You tell us that you have a family mob at your Summit condo, and somehow you jammed them all in a Jeep????
The Colonel \:\)
tromano
March 3, 2008
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Good tires are crucial. Worn out tires are horrible in snow. Decent tires on a FWD car will get you through almost anything in the Midatlantic. Get snows and you will be unstoppable.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
March 5, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Rode for years with real snow tires on my M-van*. The guy at Reston Goodyear thought I was crazy to order them. I put them on every Fall and off every spring. It was probally just a way to hope for snow, but I never got stuck!

*Yes - I had an M-van before kids. Take the middle seat out and you have the ultimate ski crusier. I could pull up to the slopes jump in back and change into my ski gear. It also made a nice camper. Then those pesky kids showed up....
bawalker
March 5, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I actually use the Goodyear TripleTread tires on my Subaru Outback and thus far in two winters with snowstorms, going up hill, down hill, and even riding partially on ice across bridges I've yet to slip, slide, or spin out of control. Part of that I'm sure is to just the safe driving aspect, but I've yet to meet a set of tires that handles snow better than those triple treads. \:\)
kwillg6
March 5, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,070 posts
We researched and experimented and had four Goodyear
Assurance's put on the Mrs' Outback. Sweet tire in all conditions. Makes ther car corner like a two seater ;\) and does ice ok if there is such a thing . Only drawback is they are a bit pricey. \:\(

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.