New feature: Distances to Resorts
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 17, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
In response to reader suggestions, I have just added a new feature to DCSki that makes it easy to determine how far away each Mid-Atlantic resort is. There are two ways to access this feature. If you visit a Resort Profile page, for example DCSki's Whitetail Resort Profile:

http://www.dcski.com/resorts/viewprofile.php?resort=whitetail

You will notice there is now an "Estimated Distances from Major Cities" table in the Statistics section. I picked ten top cities based on where the majority of DCSki readers come from. The estimated driving time and miles are given for each resort.

You may also access this feature in a slightly different way by visiting DCSki's interactive Map:
http://www.dcski.com/resorts/gmap.php

Below the map, you will find sections for each of the ten major cities. If you click on a city name, you can view a list of all Mid-Atlantic ski resorts, sorted by which ones are closest to the city you clicked. It's kind of cool to see how far away the resorts are.

These distances are approximate. For example, the center of cities such as Washington, DC is used in the calculations. If you live in the suburbs, the distances could change appreciably.

(And yes, I had a great deal of fun this weekend collecting all this data -- not!)

If you catch any errors, let me know.
wojo
February 17, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

http://www.dcski.com/resorts/viewprofile.php?resort=whitetail

Looks like you had black text in a black filled box on the whitetail page. I did not check the other pages.

Numbers looked right, but I had to highlight the table to read it.

Good idea. Thanks.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 17, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Scott,
Thanks for the new feature. Unfortunately I could not get it to work. Whether black text on black background, or what, all I get when I try to see the info is a list of half of the cities (rest are black), and black where the info should be.
EDIT: Well, I sort of got it to work, but had to double click on each column in the spreadsheet to see the detail behind the blackout.
The Colonel \:\)
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 17, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
Thanks for catching that. There's a bug in some browsers (such as Firefox) that causes this. I had caught the bug on the Map page before it went live but not the Resort Profile pages.

It should be fixed now -- please let me know if you still see a problem.
David
February 17, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Awesome!! You da man Scott!!
wojo
February 18, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
 Originally Posted By: Scott
Thanks for catching that. There's a bug in some browsers (such as Firefox) that causes this. I had caught the bug on the Map page before it went live but not the Resort Profile pages.

It should be fixed now -- please let me know if you still see a problem.

Please close out this trouble ticket. . . Application works now \:D
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.