E bay issues
12 posts
8 users
3k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Anyone have any issues with ski gear on e bay?

ok it is probally a dumb question as it varies with the seller , but I love to promote discussion.

WAHOO! 100th post!!!
Ullr
February 12, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Bought tons of stuff there, never a problem.
Crush
February 12, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,276 posts
.. ditto ... no problems! but i never buy from someone that doesn't have nice big pics of the item(s) and has 40 feedbacks that are at least 98% good
skier219
February 12, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
The biggest problem I see is buyer inexperience. So many people make their first post in the gear forums on epicSki.com with the theme being "what did I buy?" or "did I just make a big mistake?" or "are these skis OK for me?" (post purchase). One of my favorites was from a dude who bought women's skis for himself! As long as you know what you're buying, I think it's OK. But it's also a haven for people to pass off old gear and crap on inexperienced buyers. I'm talking about hopelessly outdated gear, some of it no longer safe or indemnified. I have also seen some deals on eBay that cost as much as or more than buying new, warranteed gear from a dealer on closeout at the end of the season. So the usual advice applies: caveat emptor (buyer beware)!
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 12, 2008
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
928 posts
ditto. my rules:
* do your research, know your gear.
* watch several items to observe the trends.
* be flexible, have a few brands/models you would accept.
* be patient, one of them will become available.
* ask sellers questions, don't assume. If they cannot answer, skip it.
* mind the shipping cost. I don't want to spend a high percentage of my total on shipping - that's wasted money.
* on skis, you can get better deals from individuals, but they are more difficult to find - must be patient. otherwise, I like the ebay shops better.
Ullr
February 12, 2008
532 posts
I'm thinkin of bidding on these:

The seller says they are in excellent shape! Not sure of the size though. 150? 195? He says all terrain. Can I ski them in powder as well as on-piste?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROSSIGNOL-3-AT-ALL-T...1QQcmdZViewItem
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
It seems some folks are just looking to clean out their garages. I love to see what folks are selling at laughable prices.

Although I did see these sweet RD Coyotes. The first fast hard ski I ever owned. I might just buy them for old times sake....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coyote-Soft-Slalom-S...1QQcmdZViewItem
SCWVA
February 12, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
 Originally Posted By: oldensign
It seems some folks are just looking to clean out their garages. I love to see what folks are selling at laughable prices.

Although I did see these sweet RD Coyotes. The first fast hard ski I ever owned. I might just buy them for old times sake....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coyote-Soft-Slalom-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Skier219, Is your wife trying to sell off some of your quiver while you're at work? \:\) The seller is in Williamsburg, VA.

Ullr
February 12, 2008
532 posts
DUDE!!! Those are still in the wrapper! Killer deal at $10!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 12, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Hurry before the Smithsonian underbids you...
David
February 12, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: SCWVA

Hey Skier219, Is your wife trying to sell off some of your quiver while you're at work? \:\) The seller is in Williamsburg, VA.

I think she is. The first line of the description gives it away.

"This is a pair of Coyote soft slalom skis that my husband has held onto thinking he was eventually going to use."
skier219
February 12, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
 Originally Posted By: SCWVA

I knew she was doing more than having a sandwich and watching scoobie-doo when she goes home for lunch!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.