Anyone ski Timberline this weekend?
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
Buckeye Skier
February 8, 2004
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
Their website says they missed the ice storm, and still have packed powder conditions. I was wondering if anyone could vouch for their report. We all know some snow reports aren't always totally accurate. I'm planning a trip for Friday and just wonder what to expect. Thanks!!
danwxman
February 8, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
The rain that fell might have firmed up their base with a coating of ice, like at other resorts. Everybody changed over to rain though.
danwxman
February 8, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
There was some snow showers though with a few inches of powder the past two days, so the packed powder is believable.
MitchH
February 8, 2004
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
I was at Canaan Valley this past weekend. It snowed all day Saturday and Saturday night, and by Sunday the powder conditions were wonderful (I just went cross country at White Grass but I assume that Timberline was just as good).
jonjon
February 8, 2004
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
Actually, the area picked up more like 9 to 12 inches of snow Saturday and Saturday Night. Looks like a little more on the way tomorrow night and Tuesday too!
canaanman
February 8, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
I'm really wishing they'd use what's posted on WhiteGrass's webpage, "Lightest powder there can be."

This morning was superb. I'd put it up on the top 5 weekends of this season. Every double-diamond had almost a foot of snow on it. The other trails were groomed to perfection. Cherry Bowl lived up to its expectations, providing thorough enjoyment.

Saturday only got better as the day wore on. Most of the double-blacks were closed until around 10:30am. I actually took first runs down the Drop with Ski Patrol ("This open?" "Well... you're the test dummy.") As the day wore on, the temps plummeted and same with the snow. By 1pm, there was atleast 4 inches of snow on everything. Silver Streak had NOT been touched yet, so I layed 1 set of tracks down the left side, came back, still no other tracks, laid another set on the same side making figure-8s all the way down. Looked really cool from the lift on the way back up, and led to shouting of, "Get off my 8s!" as some made their way down it.

Anyways, it went from a not-so-good-looking weekend to one of the best this season.

Buckeye Skier
February 9, 2004
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
Thanks everybody! It makes me feel better about the trip getting first hand reports. Canaanman, I kinda figured you would have good info. I do have one more question, where are the new glades? They don't show them on their trail map. Thanks again!!
bawalker
February 9, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Hallelujah! Time to go back to Timberline again this week!

canaanman
February 9, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
The new glades, also known as "Canaanman's glades" can be found at the top of Lower Thunderdraft (that dinky little trail between the pumphouse and mid-station). Ski right below the pumphouse and into the woods there. It dumps out on the trail connecting the Mid-Station with White Lightning. I highly recommend starting on that side, the entrance is much better (albeit very steep if you enter at the right place) and working your way over to the right. That is usually where the best powder can be found. Don't head to the right side immediately, as you'll probably get a nice coreshot on some of the stumps.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.