Snowshoe isn't gonna groom everything, right?
19 posts
8 users
4k+ views
wgo
February 6, 2008
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts
Any of the Snowshoe regulars here want to predict whether Snowshoe will leave some stuff ungroomed for this weekend? It's been a few years since I've been there and I'd like to check out the new trails this saturday, and I really hope everything is NOT groomed side-to-side. Any thoughts?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 6, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
From my personal experience:

If it snows AFTER the evening grooming schedule, expect the St. Moritz' type knee-crushing deep wet snow.

If it snows BEFORE the evening grooming schedule, expect grooming except in: The three new runs on Soaring Eagle, Grabhammer and Knot Bumper from the Ballhooter lift, and Choker and Stemwinder from the Powder Monkey lift. And Cupp and Shays too.

In the former case, what you can expect is a fairly crowded start and as soon as the groomer-only crowd sees the snow conditions, they will flee the slopes like the plague and crowd the Foxfire and run the place out of beer. So you have two choices: Snow or beer.
skier219
February 6, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I think Lou nailed it. I will add that Cupp and Shays often get a lot less natural snow than the basin side, so you may not want to head over there for first tracks if there is significant natural snowfall. Also, whatever is left ungroommed on the basin side will be tracked out by about 10am, so be out there ready to go at 9am when the ropes drop if you want some first tracks in new snow. I rarely get more than 2-3 runs in before the fresh powder is all gone over there. The exception is the terrain park (Spruce Glades). Most people don't go in there for powder, so it can hold some nice snow all day long.

All that said, we'll be recovering from a major thaw-refreeze by the time the weekend hits, so I expect them to do extra grooming to bring the surface back to skiable quality, and they may want to groom and pack down every bit of natural snow that falls. This will be one time the natural snowfall is much needed. As hideous as the snow will be at the end of this week, you will probably *want* them to do all the grooming they can.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 6, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Amen, skier219.
The Colonel \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Snowflake
February 7, 2008
Member since 02/7/2008 🔗
11 posts
http://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain/win-mountain/snowreport.htm

It is hard to really tell, even try to guess what Snowshoe will be out doing, so check out the link above for current snow reports.

All but two silver creek slopes were groomed overnight, as well as the two Snowshoe slopes that have note opened yet. I expect grooming to continue all weekend to make up for a packed Jose Cuervo weekend, and the horrid rain yesterday and last night.

My thermometer says 22.9, and the snow is falling (and sticking)! Possibly 3 inches today, thank the Lord.

Btw, hi! I'm new to the site, and we'll just say I know the mountain quite well. ;\)
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 7, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
"Snowflake"...what a great name!
WELCOME to DCSki. Now the usual...tell us a little about yourself. Where from? Ski or board or both? Which mountains visit often?
In short, introduce yourself...and welcome to the DCSki family!
The Colonel \:\)
wgo
February 7, 2008
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Maybe I'll try calling them on Friday to get the scoop on their grooming plans for Saturday.
skier219
February 7, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yes, welcome Snowflake. I hope you'll share your knowledge ;\) of Snowshoe often!
Snowflake
February 7, 2008
Member since 02/7/2008 🔗
11 posts
Thanks, I can't believe that this name hadn't been taken already!

I enjoy skiing, but arthritis has proved not too comfortable on ski's. Because of that I fell in love with the sport of snowboarding. Hmm.. I have been wanting to get out on ski's lately, I might do that soon. I am from West Virginia, and Snowshoe is definitely my mountain of choice!

I will definitely try to share the knowledge as I get the chance \:D
David
February 7, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: Snowflake
I am from West Virginia, and Snowshoe is definitely my mountain of choice!

Sweet! Another West Virginia boy on here. Now I won't feel as lonely...
Clay
February 7, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
 Originally Posted By: David

Sweet! Another West Virginia boy on here. Now I won't feel as lonely...

What exactly led you to believe that Snowflake is a West Virgina boy?
David
February 7, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: Clay

See here in WV we don't grow old. We are forever boys at heart. BTW, just to clarify, not in the perverted Michael Jackson boy type.
scootertig
February 7, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
 Originally Posted By: David
 Originally Posted By: Clay

See here in WV we don't grow old. We are forever boys at heart. BTW, just to clarify, not in the perverted Michael Jackson boy type.

I think the implication was that maybe Snowflake is a WV girl...

aaron
David
February 7, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: scootertig

I think the implication was that maybe Snowflake is a WV girl...

I see and stand corrected. Although I am used to assuming that people on here are guys just because we so greatly out number the female posters...
skier219
February 7, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Boy, girl, whatever. I have been trying real hard to not let loose with the Appalachia jokes. ;\) Don't want to scare off our new members.
David
February 7, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: skier219
Don't want to scare off our new members.

Eh emm... or older ones ;\) ;\)
Snowflake
February 8, 2008
Member since 02/7/2008 🔗
11 posts
 Originally Posted By: skier219
Boy, girl, whatever. I have been trying real hard to not let loose with the Appalachia jokes. ;\) Don't want to scare off our new members.

Just to clarify.. I am a girl :o)

And as far as the Appalachia jokes, I'm all for them! I have never had a single person guess that I am from West Virginia, and they always reply with, "But you don't have the accent!". Last night I was waiting on a table, and broke out the true redneck accent for them. I can do it well...but only by force!
Clay
February 9, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
The name kind of tipped me off, but then as I was writing my response I thought that the person would be offended if I suggested that the name sounded feminine and it turned out to be a guy. I wouldn't want to upset a guy called 'Snowflake'....
Snowflake
February 9, 2008
Member since 02/7/2008 🔗
11 posts
lol, if a guy used the name 'Snowflake', wouldn't he have brought it onto himself? ;\)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?