Canaan will be 100% Saturday
20 posts
10 users
6k+ views
Bumps
January 25, 2008
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
Canaan website is claiming it will have all trails open tomorrow. Son and I are atlodge, checked in late but looks like it is full snd everyone seems sych'd . Even saw some kids making some fairly conservative jumps off a picnic table.
Clay
January 26, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Wow. They reported 18 trails open this morning and now (Fri PM) 24. It's pretty impressive that they plan on opening the remaining 15 tomorrow.

Have a great time!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 26, 2008
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Things are really coming online fast there and the conditions are prime. Remember how we all griped in December??? Well, stop griping and go. Now is the time, and hopefully TL and CV will have ample terrain through April.
jimmy
January 26, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Let me give u all a few scheduling tips. Me n the crew are leaving for VT on early Sunday morning, UT March 8---15. Do whatever you have to do schedule a trip to WV while i'm gone because it ALWAYS PUKES SNOW when i go away to ski. Sounds like WV is gonna be as good as it gets, timing is everything. Have a good weekend we'll be in touch.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Bumps
January 26, 2008
538 posts
Wow, what a day. 30 degrees and good snow. Upper spruce/weiss way in had a foot of powder. My son said Gravity was like surfing on his board. In reality it was little mixed with a few bare spots sticking through particularly late in the day. But overall it was just fun fun fun. Most runs were very choppy with mounds of powder from top to bottom. Not much grooming going on. Not exactly bump fields but I was making little jumps most of the day. Top of upper spruce, Upper valley vista and Chute were all a little granular and got icy as the day went on, but nothing major. Dark side of the moon was almost like work with un-groomed powder on the flats between steeps. Glades were pretty bare all day, but if you ignored a few grinding sounds, it was a fun run. Meadows 1 & 2 were just awesome. Curious if anyone else on the board was sking canaan today and had the same fun or do I just need to get out more.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2008
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Thanks for your report, Bumps. I'll be interested in others' reactions, too, because I'm trying to decide b/w T-line and CV for next Friday and Saturday.

Woody
Bumps
January 27, 2008
538 posts
Woke to about an inch of fresh powder. Runs similar to yesterday, but with many more bare spots peaking through. We didn't ski long today since I had to get kid back to study. Glades were getting almost rocky down the middle. They had both lifts going to the top open. I think the opened the old one in case the quad broke again. Yesterday it was down for about 20 minutes while they worked on it and seemed to be intermittent throughout yesterday and today. Here's another quick stitch of pics/video from the weekend. Not exactly great production, but should give you an idea of the snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L80lF7iX9vo
David
January 27, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: Bumps
We didn't ski long today since I had to get kid back to study.

Studying SHOULD NOT take precedence over skiing!!
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2008
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
CV reports 14 of 39 runs open today. Bummer.

Woody
David
January 31, 2008
2,444 posts
Wow. So this is the reason that Timberline spends so much time laying down a nice base...
fishnski
January 31, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
If it don't snow & they won't blow Then Wave Goodbye as them open runs go...A little poetry for your enjoyment this eve..Thank you...Thank you very much!

Lets hope that Some of those Summer Rumors about new Mang & 25 mill pumped into the area will come true!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
OK, Mr. fishnski, what rumors??!!!
First I have heard of any potential good news like this!!
The Colonel \:\)
David
January 31, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
OK, Mr. fishnski, what rumors??!!!
First I have heard of any potential good news like this!!

Colonel, there is a simple equation involved with this issue (IMHO).

State owned ski area + Governor of WV now owns in CV = New "Management"

Which means that there will also probably be plenty of "state" money being put into the resort. It won't be the first time that a Manchin has questionably appropriated some of the state's money...
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
But if his place is at Timberline.........
David
January 31, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
But if his place is at Timberline.........

To many hoops to get state money. CV being state owned makes it a cake walk.
Bumps
February 1, 2008
538 posts
Easy come, easy go. I must admit that I am happy we hit it on the best weekend to date. But I was surprised that I didn't see them making snow the entire weekend. The first day was certainly cold enough. I even had my son wear his goggles assuming they would have blowers goimg. looks like freezing rain this weekend, bummer.
fishnski
February 1, 2008
3,530 posts
Anything Frozen is better than liquid!..A Nice icy crust is a good buffer to any downpours. The Temp has been rising fast the last hour(its 430am) but has been in the low to mid 20's all nite. The precip has been light most of the night from what I can tell & at 3am the sidewalk showing on the Canaan Cam was clear ice...But now at 430 its all white..Snow/Sleet/Frzing RN?...Anyway this weekend will be great up in the valley..this muck will be out of here & actually some folks will be waking up to a light layer of snow sat morn...the rest of the weekend looks perfect!
tgd
February 1, 2008
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
 Originally Posted By: fishnski
Lets hope that Some of those Summer Rumors about new Mang & 25 mill pumped into the area will come true!

This is not so much a rumor. Last year the state issued an RFI as they look into the possibility of bringing in a new service provider who is willing to partner with the state to invest around $20M in improvements at Canaan. Guest Services is the current contract holder, with something like 10 years remaining on their existing contract, and they responded - along with Intrawest. Not much news I've seen since then. Here is the link to an old thread on the topic.

The $20M+ in improvements will be made across the entire park - including replacement of their current main lodge (on the other side of 32 away from the ski resort). Improvements to the ski area are planned, but just a share of that $20M will go towards skiing. Other priority park attractions - including the golf course, tennis courts, and swimming pool require some investment too.

Overall it would be great if WV can attract additional investment in the park. We love Canaan Valley State Park. We hike, snowshoe, mountain bike, dine, get carryout, attend events there year-round. There is barely a weekend pass in the Valley where I have not been to CVSP twice. It's a great place. Oddly enough my family never skis there. I'll have to give the ski area another try this season.

Tom
yellowsnow
February 1, 2008
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
I believe it was previously reported that his place is at Deerfield.
fishnski
February 1, 2008
3,530 posts
The Rain/Freezing stuff turned to snow around 2 pm ...There will be a few Inches of Snow to greet the Folks Tomorrow Morn at the Canaan Areas!..I love the way it rains & then Snows up there...Not Vice versa..

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?