Wintergreen 1/16/08
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
skier219
January 16, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Skied it today. Base is definitely a lot thinner than 2 weeks ago, but the surface was great. They were blowing snow everywhere in the morning, but thankfully most of the guns shut down in the afternoon on open trails. The packed powder surface was very, very fast (which I like, though most consider it to be icy). Both cross trails are open, making it a lot easier to get around. I skied Dobie in the morning to avoid snowmaking, then stuck to Eagle's Swoop, upper Tyro, Tequila, and Sunrise for the afternoon. Some great lines down skier's right of Eagle's Swoop.

Snowmaking ran all day over on the Highlands, and that definitely will be open for the weekend.
GRK
January 16, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
skier219

Thanks for the Wintergreen update. That is mostly where I go so I appreciate it when you file a report. Happy to reciprocate if you like...though I will not be able to comment on conditions in the highlands as I am not ready for black runs yet.

GRK
Ullr
January 16, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
 Originally Posted By: skier219
Snowmaking ran all day over on the Highlands, and that definitely will be open for the weekend.

I'm hoping they open in Friday, but I know they won't!
Ullr
January 18, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Just got back. Highlands opened at 1:30pm. What little terrain they had open in the morning was getting soft by mid-day with the warmer temps and the sun. Upper Cliffhanger and Lower Wild Turkey were death cookies and a little thin, but better then nothing. They are expecting a little more snow on Sat and the temps will be COLD! They nee to continue to blow snow when ever possible to get more open.
GRK
January 18, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Ullr

Good for you on Wintergreen trip. Noticed on website they were saying Saturday for Highlands so that way nice.

Regards

GRK

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?