Closest Resort to DC
5 posts
5 users
6k+ views
april
January 16, 2008
Member since 01/16/2008 🔗
1 posts
Hi! I'm new to DC and DCski. Can someone give me the primer course on how far away the closest ski areas are to DC? Are there any resorts under an hour from the city? Thank you!!
scootertig
January 16, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
April - welcome to DCski. You should check out the resort listings at http://www.dcski.com/resorts/index.php to get an idea of the resorts "in the area" (some are obviously closer than others).

In terms of the closest ones to DC, I'd say the three closest are probably Liberty, Round Top, and Whitetail, although Bryce may be closer. That's an uneducated guess, of course, and "closest" doesn't always mean "shortest trip to get to".

Are you coming from the city itself or a suburb? Sometimes a few miles one way or the other can have a pretty dramatic impact on travel times...

As far as I know, there's nothing that's within an hour of downtown, but you should be able to get to a few of them within 2 hours' drive.

aaron
crunchy
January 16, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
from northern va, the closest is definitely Liberty. 90min max.
Jim
January 16, 2008
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Agreed. From Arlington, with moderate to light traffic, I can make it in an hour and 20 minutes. Its just under 80 miles. Whitetail is about an hour and 30/40 minutes. Roundtop is a tad above two hours.
langleyskier
January 16, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Welcome april!.. like they all said the three main places are whitetail, liberty, and roundtop (bryce and massenutten are also within 2 hrs). They all have something different to offer. Where you live and what type of skier/what you are looking for in a resort makes a huge difference. I would suggest you give whitetail a try first seeing that it has the most vertical and the only high speed within 2 hrs of DC. Check out the resort page of this site and you can read all about each resort as well as many comments to give you a good idea of what to expect.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.