Chunk of 40 below heading south
22 posts
13 users
6k+ views
fishnski
January 12, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Actually there are colder temps than that up north in the Arctic cold factory. Its 40 below up at Barrow,AK & will be for a couple of days till it starts to head south. Ave temps at Barrow are a high of -7 & a low of -19...been way below that every day this month!

Some more good GW busting info is the fact that the Ice cap has reached levels that resemble 1999 & 1996...the ice edge made it to St Matthew(werever that is) on Jan 6th...it made it that far on Jan 11th in 1999 & on Jan 10th in 1996...we are ahead a little for those years even.....Cook inlet reached a greater than 50% coverage on Jan 20th 1999 & it is F-casted to reach that point by the 18th of this month.

As Barrow warms to a balmy high of -5 & lows of -15 this week their Arctic cold will be heading south...Depending on the weather features down the road we could get slammed or preferably it will get mixed with some gulf & atlantic moisture by the end of next week & BINGO...DUMPAGE!..Either way for every cold shot we will get snow in the Alpps...Tue Morn will have a little arctic bite to it...Stay Tuned!
langleyskier
January 12, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Agreed.... these next few weeks may be sweet for skiing locally. Look for some real cold temps and if i had to guess there should be at least one big hit for the coast.... also with every storm we will continue to see upslope and lake effect because of how warm/not frozen the lakes are thanks to last week's meltdown... you excited excited for some sweet jan pow to recover from this killer blowtorch?... i know i am
jonjon1
January 12, 2008
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
If I were rich enough I would pay you annually to give me the weather forecasts/possibilities for this area. Even though I keep up with them pretty well myself, they sound so much better coming from you
David
January 13, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: jonjon1
If I were rich enough I would pay you annually to give me the weather forecasts/possibilities for this area. Even though I keep up with them pretty well myself, they sound so much better coming from you

I agree. If you combine Andy's Global Warming busting, Alskan Ice monitoring, Al Gore bashing, MPC loving, T-Line despising, enthusiastic forcasting with Langley's scientific, big worded, skier optimistic forcasting then you would have one KILLER weatherman. I would personally tune in to the news every day just to watch the weather. (and to see Andy in a fit of rage over lack of snowmaking in Canaan Valley every day in December & January )....

Oh yeah I forgot one thing: With Andy doing the weather you may want to have a 5-10 second delay so the guy will have time to put in the bleeps. The FCC would be all over that broadcast if it was live.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
fishnski
January 13, 2008
3,530 posts
I can see someone paying me for my looks...But Weather?...Got you all fooled!...L-ski is & will be the man for now & the future..I wasted my school years chasing woman & partying my ass off!..I only know what I read & did you all catch the Snowshoe F-casted highs for sat?...0 to 5 above...I told you all to be careful of what you wish for!

..PS..Speaking of snow making, its been about 30 at the base & about 25 at the tops in Canaan...I could see just 1 gun going at Canaan area yesterday & TL web is down(Again) so was wundering if any of you front line grunts can let us know what is going on.
Clay
January 13, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I haven't been out this morning, so I can only tell you I hear the guns at TLine, but I have no idea what they're doing up the mountain.
skier219
January 13, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Looks like 6" predicted for Snowshoe tonight through Monday. The extended forecast is showing snow or snow showers for the entire forecast period, out to next Saturday!
fishnski
January 13, 2008
3,530 posts
Skier219 likes to follow & post weather stuff..You all know I do..Langley Skier used to post some lame ass stuff a while back...Glad your getting some schooling Buddy!..Now he is on point..As much as that can be with modern Technology...Hmmmmm Lets see...Who else?...I just got back from Down town Wilmington,NC & Sampled some 8.9 % alc Doppler Bock at the front street Brewery..Like Doppler rader..Good stuff..Any body been there?.Anyway I know that there are a few other folks that like to post weather stuff but I just can't name them at this time...I remember a dude a few years back that seemed to be the Original weather guy..what was his name??..Weatherdude?..Weatherski?..Any help out there?
tgd
January 13, 2008
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
 Originally Posted By: fishnski

..PS..Speaking of snow making, its been about 30 at the base & about 25 at the tops in Canaan...I could see just 1 gun going at Canaan area yesterday & TL web is down(Again) so was wundering if any of you front line grunts can let us know what is going on.

Timberline was making snow through mid-day today (Sunday) on Dew Drop and Almost Heaven. A couple more days of snow making and they should have Dew Drop open. They just started Almost Heaven - don't expect anything with that slope for a couple weeks at least. OTW badly needs patchin' and all the snow's gone from Silver Streak. Coverage on Salamander and most of WL is very good. I didn't ski Winterset, the only other "significant" slope open - so can't say anything about condition. There's some snow piles on Lower Thunderstruck, but it still needs some serious snowmaking before it would be ready to open - I say doubtful for this weekend. There's no snow on any other slopes as far as I could tell.

Tom
fishnski
January 14, 2008
3,530 posts
thanks for the info Tom..Ive Reserved my own place(Blocked from renters) & i'm hoping with the cold & natural we are going to get this week a miracle might happen up there! This morns snow report at TL only showed snowmaking on upper WL & upper Dew drop with 2.6 of new nat over night...Wish they had the funds to blast every gun on the MTN..Winter is here...Ain't nothing to wait for. How much Natural would it take to get some runs open?? 2 feet?
Stumpy
January 14, 2008
Member since 12/12/2007 🔗
20 posts
Snowing very steady at Snowshoe right now. Got a little over an inch overnight at the base, with NWS saying "up to four" more today, and "up to four" overnight tonight, then an additional "up to four" tomorrow. Lookin' good!
fishnski
January 14, 2008
3,530 posts
oficial NWS obs at the top of SS at 4800' was 3 inches overnight till 7am this morn. All the webcams up at Canaan show some nice flake action..Laurel summit,PA cked in with 3 inches at 7 this morm...Its On!
Clay
January 14, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Rumor has it that while funds may be in short supply, the big problem is water \:o . What I heard is that the infrastructure will not support making snow on the whole mountain at the same time. They can't get that much water up the hill so they need to do either the west side or the east side but never both at the same time.

I wonder how that's going to effect that proposed mid-mountain (west) village that I saw in the pamphlet I got in the mail on Friday
skier219
January 14, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
All mountains are limited by pumping horsepower (air and/or water) in some way, even places with modern snowmaking systems like Wintergreen. I don't think it would be feasible to size their pumps to support 100% snowmaking in one shot. They pretty much have to do it in zones.
kwillg6
January 14, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I don't think water's the problem.... maybe a burst pipe is. Was sking OTW yesterday and noticed a stream of water shooting out from under OTW toward sally. When I say shooting, I mean 40' shooting! Wouldn't want to get in the way if it. Can't see them "bleeding" off a line during snow making weather. Sooooo here we go again! Maybe they should use duct tape and chewing gum
jimboc
January 14, 2008
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
anybody heading to Timberline this thursday for the $2 lift tickets???
JohnL
January 14, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
What's the skinny on the tickets, demo day?
jimboc
January 14, 2008
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
yes - Ski Chalet demo day - i believe you have to pick up the vouchers at one of the stores first and then take it to the ticket window
wvrocks
January 14, 2008
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
I don't think water's the problem.... maybe a burst pipe is. Was sking OTW yesterday and noticed a stream of water shooting out from under OTW toward sally. When I say shooting, I mean 40' shooting! Wouldn't want to get in the way if it. Can't see them "bleeding" off a line during snow making weather. Sooooo here we go again! Maybe they should use duct tape and chewing gum

If it was on the skiers left of OTW right at the bottom where it joins the s turn, there is a valve there that they use to balance the pressures in the snowmaking system. Shoots downhill parallel to the straight on Sally. I think as more guns come online they shut it down. Less guns, open it up. If they were just turning the guns on they would probably be bleeding off some pressure since they can't turn them all on at once.

Speaking of water, I noticed a fairly large wet area in the middle of Upper Thunder on Saturday. Water was running out of the hill at its upper limits. I don't remember there being a spring at that location before...
fishnski
January 14, 2008
3,530 posts
Isn't it amazing how the TL webcam just seems to fix itself whenever it starts to Snow? Cking it out just now I'm seeing that incesant Blowing at the base...Must be 8 to 10 guns going..looks good on the cam I guess. If all those guns were going up on twister or almost heaven we would be jammin next weekend.....Still hoping for a miracle for more runs to open & actually hoping its not too cold for some of my family members this weekend.....Time to bring out the full body longjohns full hoods & turtles/facemasks/boot & glove warmers/..Layers..layers...& money for some hot Chile..Hot Cocoa..& a picher of COLD Beer!..(please excuse the cap)
appskiah
January 14, 2008
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
i'll be at timberline Thursday to ski. hopefully the LE keeps churning and thursday night's storm snows us in and forces us to skip work and ski again Friday....but thats not going to happen
fishnski
January 15, 2008
3,530 posts
How much snow do you need to get Snowed in Thur/Thur night Appski? Too early to call but with moisture building in from the SW & the arctic air coming down from the NW it will be interesting to see how this one plays out.....Canaan 3700' storm total as of midnite was 9.1 & after a little lull or slowdown in the late eve of the 14th the Rader is filling back in with another wave which should get us over the foot mark by 8am & close to 18 by wed morn.....then comes Thur!....& then comes that Chunk of 40 below...stay tuned!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.