And Where Are You Skiing MLK Weekend and more?!!
34 posts
17 users
12k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Thanks Crush for picking up my "responsibilities" to keep us informed as to where we hit the slopes or plan to hit the slopes, last week was a very large "bear" at the salt mines.
Now for this poll, for the big MLK weekend, with something new added!!
The poll is the usual, but what I suggest is each respondent, if so inclined, follow responding to the poll with a posting indicating the "who" behind the where. I do not think I can obtain this info from the poll itself, nor does the polling feature appear to allow me to add a blank for names going to each resort. At least this way, again if you are so inclined, there is an improved possibility that multiple DCSkiers at a single resort can try to link up for a run or two. We sort of almost know each other from our posts, and some actually meet up and occassionally ski/ride together, but SCOTT we need a way to improve on our ability to accomplish this. ANY IDEAS - ANYBODY??!!!
David
January 12, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I'll be at home. Probably working on some of my first homework of the semester. Fun Fun Fun!! Did I mention I only have 2 more left!!!
January 12, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
And that is because you are working on required homework and not out playing in the snow. WISE DECISION, yea frustrating, but after finishing, and obviously multiple times while still in school, you will be able to hit the slopes and have the where-with-all to afford it!
Take care and hope to see you on the slopes sometime!
The Colonel \:\)
Clay
January 12, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I'll be at Timberline. Keeping my fingers crossed that the cold weather expected Jan 14-19 will allow them to get more terrain open.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
langleyskier
January 12, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I will be at Denton... wherever that is... we have a race that weekend. I think wherever you are next weekend you will be satisfied... it may be one of the best MLK weekends in recent years with plenty of snowmaking and natural snow possibilities during this coming week.
Steve
January 13, 2008
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
As everybody on the board must know by now, I'm taking my first trip to Snowshoe. Based on previous responses on the board, I have laid in some Dominion Pale Ale, a supply of California Chardonnay, and tomorrow I will be cooking beef stroganoff to freeze and take along.

Today I bought a hitch haul, a thingie that goes into the hitch on your SUV so that I can drag all this crap to WV because they have no beer, the restaurants are all full, there are no grocery stores, and the cell phone service sucks.

Man am I psyched, with this weeks cold weather all the slopes should be open by Friday. My lift tickets arrived last Thursday from Costco, saving about $200 over the window rate.

I hope you all have a great MLK weekend.

Steve
skier219
January 13, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Steve, did you price the tickets with lodging? Usually that results in a pretty substantial discount, and you get the day of arrival tickets for free (if you book 3 nights or more). Or did Costco save you $200 over that discounted rate?
snowglobe
January 13, 2008
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts
Steve, glad that the costco tickets work out for you. Just glanced at weather forecast for snowshoe from NWS this morning, Saturday 's high 13 and 's low 4! Look really cold!
Crush
January 13, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Thanks Crush for picking up my "responsibilities" to keep us informed as to where we hit the slopes or plan to hit the slopes,

moi ? like i have "responsibilities" ... oh yeah well u know evenritenow it's 11:55 am and my chick and i have checked several "substances to abuse" off our to-do list - gee next is to go see the adams/leibovitz photog exhibit @ dupont circle that should be wonderful. gives me a jones in my mamyia C330 TLR.

... oh sorry in-decypher-able? well the gist of it is i'll be @ 7-springs friday, sat, and ski a little sunday morning.

oh u know what, i wrote this hiku for this chick i would sometimes hookup with and we'd ... ok never mind it's just boohoo-ing ...
jimmy
January 13, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey E, i'd love to see ur too-doo list someday \:o . MrsJ & i Bin goin around in circles ourselves this morn since PW called and said NO 7S today. Maybe chasin flake mid week; headin for CV soon as i/we can disappear, be there for the MLK.

So when we gonna make some turns?
Crush
January 13, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
J-mon ok the grl andiwould like to do a WVA ski and slots things - so in geographic-practical terms, can one ski in your sompin-ground and then turn around and hit some slots? My research sez you can ski and pull but there will be a 2-3 hour drive between them ... which means we can hang with you in two different places!!! So throw it down where should we lay some tracks in your crib? I wanna come out and visit -

E. & M.
Steve
January 13, 2008
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
skier219,

No, we made reservations through Snowshoe properties. We saved a couple of hundred over Snowshoe prices. The lift tickets were about $200 (10 tickets) under the window rate of $70 each (ouch!) Overall, this will be an expensive weekend because we needed 2 bathrooms and we're skiing for at least 3 days (kids will probably also ski on Friday night). Since my wife doesn't ski, the bundled tickets didn't work as well for us since Snowshoe wanted to provide a ticket for each person.

As this is my first trip to snowshoe, next time I'll know more about where to rent from etc.

Steve
skier219
January 13, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Ah, I know what you're talking about then -- we had to plan a SS trip a few years ago with two non-skiers coming along, and it took a lot of math to figure out what was the cheapest way to go for all. Having the Costco option would have helped us back then!
jimmy
January 13, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
OK PA has slots now and PA has 7 springs....... but WV has table games at wheeling and mountaineer....but mountaineer isn't so close to skiing and the skiing in WV isn't so close to the slots. Best way to do both in a weekend i think is 7 springs and wheeling. Interesting road trip.
January 14, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Only 20 DCSkiers have taken the MLK poll so far. Maybe many are waiting to see what the weather does, or trying to figure out (like me) whether it is worth a quick dash out West next week.
GRK
January 14, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Probably Wintergreen, but probably Friday afternoon or Monday afternoon to try and avoid some of the crowds with my daughter. Thinking about blowing off work for a mid-day trip Wed of next week to take advantage of the conditions without all the company.

BTW took my daughter to Bryce on Saturday for first time. Arrived around 3 and stayed until they would not let us on the lifts anymore. Despite a race in progress the place was uncrowded. Slow lifts but no lines and my daughter was able to frolic on the blues without having to worry about being taken down from behind.
David
January 14, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: David
I'll be at home. Probably working on some of my first homework of the semester. Fun Fun Fun!! Did I mention I only have 2 more left!!!

Well it looks as if I may have lied to you guys. I think I am going to get atleast one day of skiing in this weekend. Heck I may even go both days. We'll see how things work out. Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!!
fishnski
January 15, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
9.1 inch storm total as of midnite 3700' Canaan...when will it end?....It would be fitting that you came out to play this weekend davy boy...since it will colder than a witch's T...Y!!!....Arctic Air mass David...Your new nickname will be.. Mr. Freeze!
January 15, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I just indicated in the MLK poll that I would be out West for the tail end of the weekend. Just set up a last minute trip to Alta/Snowbird. Hope to catch up with skier219 and have a few runs together.
rmcva
January 15, 2008
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Steve - good luck this weekend with your first Snowshoe trip. Holidays there (or any resort) can be pretty crowded. The best way to handle SS with crowds is to start with the slopes in the main area close the village. Once they get crowded, then move over to Western Terr. (if you ski blacks) and for the afternoon/night - ski Silver Creek. This will allow you to get the most skiing/vertical with the minimal lift lines. With all the trails they have open and the fresh snow they are getting, it should be very good conditions - but cold!

Have fun and good luck!
langleyskier
January 16, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Im surprised so many are venturing out to timberline. Seems like they are better ater season when they have a chance to make some snow on more than a few slopes... however, if they can get some serious natural snow thurs-sunday then maybe they will go ahead and open up the whole mountain with a natural base??? I would think 7 springs, wisp, and shoe would be the places to be this weekend
crunchy
January 16, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: langleyskiier
Im surprised so many are venturing out to timberline. Seems like they are better ater season when they have a chance to make some snow on more than a few slopes...

well i think alot of people here own places in or around canaan valley, and some are locals, so it kinda makes sense I guess.
langleyskier
January 16, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: crunchy
well i think alot of people here own places in or around canaan valley, and some are locals, so it kinda makes sense I guess.

That makes sense. I wonder what they will be able to open by this weekend?.. if they could just open 3-4 more sopes from the top it would make a world of a difference for people trying to decide if they want to make the trip up there
kwillg6
January 16, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
After looking at the t-line trail report with where they are making the white stuff, the WG report, and the weather forcast I think the valley will be the place to be especially if off piste is your thing. By Monday it could be incredible and by next weekend, I may call in sick for a week!
Clay
January 16, 2008
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
According to today's snow report Upper Dew Drop is scheduled to open tomorrow, Lower Thunderstruck on Friday and Upper Almost Heaven on Friday or Saturday
kwillg6
January 16, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I thought that was lower heaven...
jimboc
January 16, 2008
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
I have never seen so many trails marked "snowmaking" on there snow report

a good sign
Ullr
January 16, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
 Originally Posted By: GRK
Probably Wintergreen, but probably Friday afternoon or Monday afternoon to try and avoid some of the crowds with my daughter.

We will be there Friday as well. You can use the discounted tickets at Peter Glenn or Costco on Friday, since the holiday rate doesn't start until the 19th. Chesterfield is off for a teacher workday, is this the same in your county?
Ullr
January 16, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Hope to catch up with skier219 and have a few runs together.

Craig, you goin out west?
David
January 16, 2008
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: Ullr

Craig, you goin out west?

See this thread for a complete answer to your question.

http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads33/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=40534#Post40534
kimmie
January 16, 2008
Member since 12/14/2007 🔗
17 posts
I will be at snowshoe. My Ski Patrol tests are this weekend. Written and scenarios saturday morning and ski skills/tobogan sunday morning....needless to say i will be at moonshine after closing the mountain fri/sat/sun. Hope to see some of you out there.
January 16, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Virginia state employees and many rural county employees have both Friday (Lee-Jackson Day) and Monday (MLK Day) off. Makes for a great long weekend.
skier219
January 16, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Brian, yep, I set up a short Alta trip for next week; travel Monday and Friday, ski Tues, Weds, Thurs.

Hey kimmie, now that I know you're on ski patrol, I will have to fake a major crash just to mess with you. I used to hang out with patrol at Sugarbush and know all the good jokes....
kimmie
January 17, 2008
Member since 12/14/2007 🔗
17 posts
Hey skier thats okay i know the jokes besides its great practice. and i get to play in the snow.....fine by me =) but just remember there is gentle kimmie and not som gentle kimmie \:o

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.