TR - Snowbasin, Powder Mtn,, & Wolf Mtn.
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
SCWVA
January 3, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
The family and I went to Eden, Utah for Christmas. We skied two days at Snowbasin, four days at Powder Mtn, a day and some nights/afternoons at Wolf Mtn. Eden is located 6 miles from Powder Mountain, 14 miles from Snowbasin, and 2 miles from Wolf Mtn. We arrived during a storm that eventually dumped over 30" of snow at the resorts. After that it snowed 2"-8" every night, plus a gift of 16" on Christmas Eve. They were claiming over 60" of snow while we there. I hate to say it, but we skied powder for 7 days.

Here's my take on the three areas:

Snowbasin:

Lots of long runs, the two gondolas & John Paul lift rise 2,500'. You can get lots of vertical and on lots of different terrain with these lifts. Some of the nicest restrooms/lodges I've ever used. I skied Snowbasin with 16" of fresh on Christmas Day under bluebird skies, the other day was just cloudy with powder. ;\)

Wolf Mtn:

Small family ski hill. 1,000' of vertical and is about the size of Whitetail/Timberline, but the slopes have more contour/character than Whitetail. The most expensive holiday rate lift ticket was $27/day (9am-9pm). This place was very popular with families, snowboarders, and the high schoolers. We got 16 free lift tickets to this place with the house we rented.

Powder Mtn:

This place lives up to its name. PM seems to be a ski wherever you want kind of place. Very low key lodges.

On Sunday, only 35% of the mtn was open and there couldn't have been more than 100 people at the place. Powder everywhere. Skied Pow within 100' of the lift.

On Wednesday, they opened up Powder Country (1,200 acres of BC) for the first time this season. Powder Country is where they open up the backside of two peaks and let you ski down to an access road where a shuttle would take you back to the upper parking lot. We skied fresh tracks all day long in Powder Country.

On Thursday, The Paradise lift (Main lift at PM, 1,600' vertical) opens for the first time this season. This opens up the rest of the mtn. Fresh tracks all day.

On Friday, Lightening Ridge (700 acres of BC) opens up for the first time this season. $10 snow cat rides to the summit, that would give you access to over 2,100' of vertical in the BC. Did some laps with some locals, fresh tracks all day.

On Saturday, I decided to give up skiing.
David
January 3, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Wow. The Gods shine upon you my friend. I wish I could go to a resort and watch it totally unfold and open right infront of my eyes. Oh yeah, and ski powder every day!! Thanks for the report!
Bumps
January 3, 2008
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
you make me .
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 3, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
OMG. We need pictures, where are the stinking pictures? Never been to any of those mtns and real curious about them. The only problem with a trip like this is the rest of the season will be anticlimactic. How are you going to top this? Heliskiing with CMH in March??

PS: on the basis of this fine thread I just bumped your member rating up to five stars, you dog.
JohnL
January 3, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Pow Mow, one of my favorites. One of it's stickers decorates the rear window of my car. The JohnL hall of fame. Stickers for Blue Knob, Solitude, Alta, Pow Mow and a spot reserved for MRG. Luv the bright blue school bus running laps in Powder Country. Make it out to Cobabe? Any recommendations on runs down Lightning Ridge? (I was always too busy with other stuff to make it up there.)

Is the Paradise lift still as slow as the lifts at Timberline? How was the cover near the Paradise lift this early in the season?

Sorry about all the questions but congrats on the pow!
SCWVA
January 5, 2008
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
 Originally Posted By: JimK
OMG. We need pictures, where are the stinking pictures? Never been to any of those mtns and real curious about them. The only problem with a trip like this is the rest of the season will be anticlimactic. How are you going to top this? Heliskiing with CMH in March??

Heliskiing! Thats what I told my Wife, she was not amused.

I almost didn't post the TR because I didn't have any good ski pictures. The Wife had the camera, so we have lots of posed shots of Grandma and the kids.

Here's a couple:

Leaving Snowbasin at sunset.
[img][/img]

The view from the hot tub.
[img][/img]

And one skiing shot.

[img][/img]

JohnL

The Paradise lift is still extremely slow, but you get some decent vertical on it. It was also pretty scenic ride past the rock outcroppings. Lots of good lines off this lift.

The Cat (you could also skin up) took you up to the Cobabe Peak, from there you had access to Lightening Ridge. The terrain accessed off the ridge is pretty wide open. There's hundreds of lines off each side.
squirrel
January 6, 2008
Member since 11/30/2007 🔗
19 posts
i hate you and am quite jealous. skiied powder mtn two years ago in the middle of a dump, it lives up to its name. there couldn't have been more than 50 cars in the lot and acres of the the untracked white stuff.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?