Wintergreen 12/19
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
skier219
December 19, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Day Trip. The snow on Dobie was very good, and held up beautifully as the weather changed quite a bit today. I tried to count how many runs I did on Dobie all day, but forgot to count after about 30, and that was only mid-morning. Damn that lift is fast when servicing one short green trail! Surprisingly, I didn't get bored -- Dobie is a fairly wide trail, and there are a bunch of different ways to get down it with a little variety.

Eagles Swoop ought to open any day now. There is a ton of snow on it, and they were doing some preliminary grooming later in the morning. I bet they will blow more snow on it tonight, and open the trail Thursday or Friday. That will be a welcome addition.

Crowds were not bad at all today, but the weather was nuts. The forecast called for 43F and partly cloudy. It was raining in the valley and snowing up top when I arrived at 8:30 am, and that continued off and on for a couple hours (sadly, I did not pack my Goretex pants and could have used them!). Temps never got higher than 35F-37F all day and there was a real chill in the air. The sun did break through a few times in the afternoon, for minutes at a time, but overall it was a cold gray day. Which is OK, I think the snow was better because of that.
Ullr
December 19, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Man, I was just sitting around all day with nothin to do. If they open more up after Christmas and you are going again let me know. I'm off until the 2nd.

Did you see the free Snowshoe tickets at Kroger?
GRK
December 19, 2007
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Thanks for the update...heading up there tommorrow. Hopefully they open another trail or two.
skier219
December 19, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Will do. So what are the details about the Kroger deal?
Ullr
December 20, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Go into Kroger, buy 4 12-packs of coke products, use your Kroger Plus card and the reciept has a coupon for a free lift ticket. Check with your local Kroger to see if this was just a local Richmond thing.
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2007
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
I got the same deal at the Kroger in Elkins on Tuesday, so it isn't just Richmond, but I don't know any more details about the deal. I didn't have a Kroger card either, until after I had paid for the Cokes-- they were extemely nice and fixed me up with a card and the lift ticket receipt. No problem turning it in at Snowshoe for a lift ticket, either. I just wish they had more terrain open-- sounds like they'll fix that this weekend.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.